Subject: RE: [rohc] proposals for generic notation of compressed header

From: Mikael Degermark <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 09:15:00 -0700 (MST)

Mark asks:
> --is there any need to
be able to deconstruct the packet header other than to compress/encode it?

My answer:
Yes, there might be. Consider tools such as tcpdump, which are used to 
capture arriving/sent packets and also have ways to display such packets
in a way that is pleasing to the human reader. Making such tools (or
alternatively having a reasonably accessible document describing the 
formats) is going to be very useful. 

Cheers, 
Micke

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc

---

From: "West, Mark (ITN)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 10:43:30 +0100

Hi Micke,

That's an interesting point -- and one that I hadn't considered.

[Of course it it perfectly possible to write a description of a protocol
in the current notation that essentially just splits the header up into 
fields.]

Cheers,

Mark.

-- 
Mark A. West, Consultant Engineer
Roke Manor Research Ltd., Romsey, Hants.  SO51 0ZN
Phone +44 (0)1794 833311   Fax  +44 (0)1794 833433

(Yes, I do know that my disclaimer is in an attachment.  And, no, I
didn't ask for it to be that way)