Subject: RE: [rohc] WG last-call for ROHC MIB and related documents

From: "Lars-Erik Jonsson (EAB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 17:51:06 +0100

Hi all,

I have reviewed the MIB document and it looks overall very
good. I have noticed the following that should be addressed:

- The document should have an IANA Considerations section for the
  new IANA registrations, both a listing of the new registrations
  and a "TO BE REMOVED BEFORE PUBLICATION" request text addressed
  to the IANA).

- The TOC is a little bit hard to read. It would be clearer by
  writing e.g. "2.  The SNMP..." instead or "2 The SNMP..."

- Last paragraph above section 4.1. should be rewritten to be
  clearer about which two MIB's are referred to.

- In section 4.1.2, clarify that "feedback for" only applies if
  the channel is actually transmitting any feedback, either
  as a dedicated feedback channel or interspersed/piggybacked.

- In section 4.1.4, title of first bullet list, should be
  "attributes", not "attribute".

- In section 4.1.4, statistics list, fourth bullet, should say
  "context", not "conrtext".

- In section 4.1.4, statistics list, "mean packet size" bullets
  (both), should say "packet size" and "compressed packets"
  instead of "packets size" and "packets".

- In section 4.1.4, statistics list, "mean header size" bullets
  (both), should say "passing" instead of "in".

- On page 11, "rohcChannelType", DESCRIPTION, missing "m" on 
  "might".

- On page 12, "rohcInstanceTable", DESCRIPTION, end of
  description should read "used for each ROHC instance" instead
  of "used for ROHC".

- On page 15, "rohcInstanceLargeCIDs", DESCRIPTION, should say
  "returns true if the embedded" instead of
  "returns true, the embedded"

- On page 15, "rohcInstanceMRRU", DESCRIPTION, first sentence
  has no end, ends with "according to."

- On page 15, "rohcInstanceContextStorageTime", DESCRIPTION,
  refers to "rohcInstanceContextExpireTime", which does not
  exist. Should probably say "rohcInstanceContextStorageTime".

- On page 16, "rohcInstancePackets", DESCRIPTION, something is
  missing in the sentence "Counter of passing this instance".

- The most significant problem found is about the ProfileTable,
  page 17-18. Both compressor and decompressor instances have
  support for certain profiles, and one should be able to see
  which profiles are supported and the properties of the
  various profile implementations, independent of if the
  instance is a compressor or a decompressor. What should also
  be readable would be information of which profiles are
  active, i.e. have been negotiated to be used on an instance.
  As we have noticed during the last year, RFC 3095 is rather
  confusing in this regard. So, I would propose the following:

  1) Change the DESCRIPTION for "rohcProfileTable" to:
     "This table lists a set of profiles supported by the instance."

  2) Change the DESCRIPTION for "rohcProfileEntry" to:
     "An entry describing a particular profile supported by the
     instance."

  3) Change the DESCRIPTION for "rohcProfile to:
     "Identifier of a profile supported. For a listing of
     possible profile values, see the IANA registry for ROHC
     profiles [PROFILES]."

  4) Add the following normative reference:
     [PROFILES]  "RObust Header Compression (ROHC) Profile 
                 Identifiers", IANA registry at:
                 <http://www.iana.org/assignments/rohc-pro-ids>

  5) Add the following to "RohcProfileEntry":
       rohcProfileNegotiated   TruthValue

  6) Add:
         rohcProfileNegotiated OBJECT-TYPE
             SYNTAX      TruthValue
             MAX-ACCESS  read-only
             STATUS      current
             DESCRIPTION
                 "When retrieved, this boolean object returns true
                  if the profile has been negotiated to be used at
                  the instance, i.e. is supported also be the
                  corresponding compressor/decompressor."
             ::= { rohcProfileEntry 7 }
                  
- On page 21, "rohcContextStorageTime", the indentation is
  wrong (at least 3 spaces more than elsewhere).

- On page 33, "rohcContextState", there is a (to me) unknown
  state listed, "normal(2)". I do not know where this comes
  from, but I am pretty sure it should not be there. Make it
  6 states by removing "normal". This affects both SYNTAX and
  DESCRIPTION.

- Section 6, end of 7th line, should say "rows", not "row".

- Section 8.1, please change the way my name is written in 
  the second and third references, should be written "L-E.",
  not "L.-E.". Thanks!

That's all!

Cheers,
/L-E

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: den 15 januari 2003 17:21
> To: ROHC WG
> Subject: [rohc] WG last-call for ROHC MIB and related documents
> 
> 
> ROHCers,
> 
> In Atlanta, we said we were going to have another re-spin of the ROHC
> MIB to include LLA.  This has now been available for nearly a month,
> and we believe the document has received enough review to issue the WG
> last-call.  Together with this goes the terminology and examples
> document as additional explanatory material that at some point is
> expected to become part of the ROHC draft standard.
> 
> Therefore, we are now issuing a WG last-call for the following two
> documents:
> 
>   draft-ietf-rohc-mib-rtp-05.txt
>       (for publication as Proposed Standard)
> 
>   draft-ietf-rohc-terminology-and-examples-01.txt
>       (for publication as Informational)
> 
> This is a regular two-week WG last-call.
> 
> Please direct WG last-call comments to the ROHC mailing list
> [email-masked] before Wed, 2003-01-29, 18:00 UTC.
> 
> Gruesse, Carsten
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Rohc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc
> 
_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc

---

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 18:26:46 +0100

Hi Lars-Erik,

(on behave of Juergen)
thank you for the comments, and please see comments inline.

>   and a "TO BE REMOVED BEFORE PUBLICATION" request text addressed

Correct, this needs to be done.

>   writing e.g. "2.  The SNMP..." instead or "2 The SNMP..."

The current doc is generated by nroff, for the final version we will it 
manually as it is suggested.

>   clearer about which two MIB's are referred to.

Would it be sufficient to replace "these two MIB modules" by "a 
ROHC-UNCOMPRESSED-MIB Module and the ROHC-RTP-MIB Module"?

>   as a dedicated feedback channel or interspersed/piggybacked.

What about adding "(if applicable)" at the end of the 3rd bullet?

>   "attributes", not "attribute".

Yes.

>   "context", not "conrtext".

We will fix this. It is the 5th bullet.

>   instead of "packets size" and "packets".

We agree.

>   (both), should say "passing" instead of "in".

OK.

> - On page 11, "rohcChannelType", DESCRIPTION, missing "m" on 

We will fix this.

>   description should read "used for each ROHC instance" instead

We would prefer either just "used", "used by the ROHC instance", "to 
which the ROHC instance is connected", or most precise "used by the ROHC 
instance as the ROHC channel".

>   "returns true, the embedded"

Yes.

>   has no end, ends with "according to."

"According to" need to be removed.

>   exist. Should probably say "rohcInstanceContextStorageTime".

OK.

>   missing in the sentence "Counter of passing this instance".

The missing text is "all packets".

>              ::= { rohcProfileEntry 7 }

We agree on 1 to 6.

>   wrong (at least 3 spaces more than elsewhere).

We will fix this.

>   state listed, "normal(2)". I do not know where this comes

It comes from the UNCOMPRESSED profile. This is a copy and paste mistake.

> - Section 6, end of 7th line, should say "rows", not "row".

We will fix this typo.

>   the second and third references, should be written "L-E.",

Fine with us.

Martin and Juergen.

-- 
Martin Stiemerling

NEC Europe Ltd. -- Network Laboratories  [email-masked]
IPv4: http://www.ccrle.nec.de  IPv6: http://www.ipv6.ccrle.nec.de