Subject: [rohc] Removing SCTP header compression from the ROHC charter

From: "Lars-Erik Jonsson (EAB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 16:38:03 +0100

ROHCers (cc sigtran & tsvwg),

The current ROHC WG charter has SCTP header compression listed as
one of our work items.  When this item was added, activity within
the ROHC WG was high, and the addition was made as a prediction of
future expectations rather than an outcome of well justified
immediate requirements.

Trying to fulfill this work item during the last year, we have
repeatedly asked for contributions to SCTP header compression, but
we have not received a single response.

Given that this work item was originally added without immediate
market pull, and considering the lack of current interest in doing
the work (or even having it done at all), we intend to remove SCTP
header compression from the ROHC WG charter.  To keep it in the
charter, justifications for developing SCTP header compression now
would have to be presented, as well as industry support and
commitments for doing the actual work.

Barring further input, we will send a request to the ADs by Jan 24,
so please reply before this date if you believe SCTP header
compression should be on the agenda now.

/Lars-Erik & Carsten
_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc

---

From: Julije Ozegovic <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 22:13:22 +0100

ROHCers,

I would like to inform you that our EPIC-Lite implementation 
(postgraduate students project at University of Split, FESB 
Split) successfully compiles SCTP profiles based on
draft-west-sctp-epic-00.txt (already expired).

However, I must admit that no compression - decompression 
testing has been done because no SCTP flow was available. We 
hope to include SCTP tests as soon as possible.

EPIC-Lite implementation is based on
draft-ietf-rohc-epic-lite-01.txt (already expired).
The duration of project was one year (school year 2001/2002).

The interoperability testing with Roke Manor reference 
implementation was successful.

Currently, the code is being prepared for public release, GNU 
licence, as-is, together with all tests finished on Linux and 
Windows machines.

We intend to inform ROHC community about the availability of 
code at the moment of release.

Best regards,
Julije Ozegovic