Subject: RE: [rohc] RE: External Encoding Methods (was: RE: ROHC-FN Snapsh ot - Wednes day' s update)

From: "Finking, Robert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:45:42 +0100

Carsten said:
>CVS does not mean that we *have* do to parallel edits.
>It's just easier to submit a change this way.

Now you're talking! IIRC you can enforce strict locking on CVS. It can still
be overridden, but you can't start doing a parallel edit without knowing
about it, and crucially, in this mode of operation, the other editors get
mailed (you always get an automatic watch on the file if you edit it). Only
problem is, I don't know how to switch a file over to that edit mode. The
only clue I can offer is that you do it on a per file basis, and you need to
be administrator to do it.

Yes, I can use CVS from here (at least I have a client handy, not sure about
the firewall).

Raffles

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:58:59 +0200

On Sep 30 2004, at 13:45 Uhr, Finking, Robert wrote:

> firewall

Yep.  That was my question.

(Subversion has the advantage of using port 80, but I haven't set that 
up here, yet.)

We don't have to move a file into strict mode (CVS support for editing 
tokens) if we just *agree* who has the editing token.
We can even give out multiple tokens at a time if all token holders use 
non-munging editors.

All this may seem like too much technology, but after the experience of 
editing 3095 and the rather smooth experience of editing 3320 and 3485, 
I believe it's worth some startup overhead.
(Look at http://www.dmn.tzi.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/udvm/udvm.nr for a 
little snapshot how that worked.  I always had the editing token for 
3320, but everyone else immediately could see what I was doing.)

Gruesse, Carsten