Subject: [rohc] Propose use of symbolic refs for ROHC-FN Draft

From: "Finking, Robert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:51:41 -0000

I just read the below on the xml2rfc list (OK so I'm not up to date), I
figured we should change to symbolic references. Any objections?

Raffles

------------------------

Aaron Falk falk at isi.edu 
Tue Jan 11 14:38:48 PST 2005 

The RFC Editor would like to request that the use of numeric citations
be deprecated in xml2rfc.  Formatting and editing of RFCs is performed
using nroff, often the nroff output from xml2rfc.  When citation
changes occur, re-numbering them in nroff is time consuming and would
be un-necessary if symbolic citations were used.

Changing the 'symrefs' flag in the XML source code is not a simple fix
as a) substantial formatting (performed in nroff) may be lost by the
time this change is made and b) the author may have used a poor choice
of xref tags since it was not expected that they would be visible in
the final document.

Disabling the use of numeric citations in xml2rfc, or at least making
symrefs the default, would noticably reduce wasted effort on the part
of the RFC Editor staff.

--aaron

Robert Finking (01794 833189)
Roke Manor Research (http://www.roke.co.uk)
Romsey, Hampshire SO51 0ZN

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc

---

From: "Lars-Erik Jonsson (LU/EAB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 08:42:38 +0100

Robert,

Note that the xml2rfc list is a list discussing one available tool
for I-D generation. Here are also ideas discussed, like the one you
refer to. However, the current official "Instructions to RFC Authors"
can be found at:
ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc-editor/instructions2authors.txt

Then it is up to you as an editor to decide which tools you want to
use to produce the draft, what style you want to have for things
where the "instructions2authors" do not specify one single way.

When it comes to references in the FN draft, they are so few that
you can use any style you like.

/L-E

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: den 24 februari 2005 17:52
> To: [email-masked]'
> Subject: [rohc] Propose use of symbolic refs for ROHC-FN Draft
> 
>