Subject: [rohc] REVIEW:draft-ietf-rohc-tcp-requirements-08.txt

From: "Michael A. Patton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 00:28:46 -0500 (EST)

Background for those on the CC list, who may be unaware of GenART:
GenART is the Area Review Team for the General Area of the IETF.  We
advise the General Area Director (i.e. the IETF/IESG chair) by
providing more in depth reviews of documents than he could do himself.
I was selected as the GenART member to review this document.  Below is
my review, which was written specifically with an eye to the GenART
process, but since I believe that it will be useful to have these
comments more widely distributed, others outside the GenART group are
being copied.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Gen ART review of draft-ietf-rohc-tcp-requirements-08.txt

Summary:  This draft is ready for publication as an Informational RFC

I am moved to say that this is one of the best documents I've ever
reviewed.  It's complete, concise and very readable.  I didn't even
notice any typos (and as my other GenART reviews can attest, I usually
pick up a fair number).  I only noticed one improvement that I thought
it could use [next paragraph], but not something important enough to
delay publication at this point.

As I was reading Section 2.3 Item 3 which describes the decompressor
noting that an error occurred, it struck me that in a similar way the
compressor should note if the incoming TCP is already damaged...  It's
probably not too important for this document to mention that, and, of
course, algorithms and/or implementations might include it anyway, but
it might have been useful to mention it for completeness.  On the
other hand, at this stage I do not recommend making such a change to
the document since that would require re-review by many.  I only
mention it to bring it to your attention in case the document does
undergo a rewrite where it could be included.

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc