Subject: [rohc] Document Action: 'Requirements for ROHC IP/TCP Header Compression' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:48:56 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Requirements for ROHC IP/TCP Header Compression '
   <draft-ietf-rohc-tcp-requirements-08.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Robust Header Compression Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

RFC Editor Note

OLD:
   2.5. Intellectual Property Rights (IPR)
 
      The ROHC WG must spend effort to achieve a high degree of confidence
<<<   that there are no known IPR that covers a final compression solution
      for TCP.
 
      Justification: Currently there is no TCP header compression scheme
      available that can efficiently compress the packet headers of modern
      TCP, e.g. with SACK, ECN, etc. ROHC is expected to fill this gap by 
      providing a ROHC TCP scheme that is applicable in the wide area
      Internet, not only over error-prone radio links. It must thus attempt
<<<   to be as future-proof as possible, and only unencumbered solutions
<<<   will be acceptable to the Internet at large.

with the following:

NEW:
   2.5. Intellectual Property Rights (IPR)
  
      The ROHC WG must spend effort to achieve a high degree of confidence
>>>   that there are no known IPR claims that cover the final compression
      solution for TCP.                        
 
      Justification: Currently there is no TCP header compression scheme
      available that can efficiently compress the packet headers of modern
      TCP, e.g. with SACK, ECN, etc. ROHC is expected to fill this gap by
      providing a ROHC TCP scheme that is applicable in the wide area
      Internet, not only over error-prone radio links. It must thus attempt
>>>   to be as future-proof as possible, and only unencumbered solutions, or
>>>   solutions where the terms of any IPR are such that there is no
>>>   hindrance on implementation and deployment, will be acceptable to the
>>>   Internet at large.

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc