Subject: [rohc] Sigcomp user guide - moving EPIC

From: "Surtees, Abigail" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:04:20 +0100

Hi All,

Here is the proposed text for renaming EPIC and moving it from the chapter of well-known algorithms:

I suggest the intro text to section 4 becomes:

"Section 4.1.1 covers a simple algorithm in some detail, including the
   steps required to compress and decompress a SigComp message.  The
   rest of section 4.1 covers well-known compression algorithms that can
   be adapted for use in SigComp with minimal modification.  Section 4.2 provides an adaptation of one of the well-known algorithms" 

4.1. Well-known compression algorithms

...

4.2. Adapted compression algorithms

4.2.1 Modified DEFLATE"

Remove the text from the old section 4.6 and replace it with:

"  Alternative algorithms can also be used with SigComp.  This section
   shows a modified version of the DEFLATE [10] algorithm.  The
   two-stage encoding of DEFLATE is replaced by a single step with a
   discrete Huffman code for each symbol.  The literal/length symbol
   probabilities are dependent upon whether the previously symbol was a
   literal or a match.  Bit-handling is also simpler, in that all bits
   are input using the INPUT-HUFFMAN instruction and the value of the H
   bit does not change so all bits are input, read and interpreted in
   the same order.

   Assembly for the algorithm is given below.  String matching rules are
   the same as for the other LZ-based algorithms, with the alternative
   encoding of the literals and length/distance pairs.  
"

Follow it with the assembly code and the example message.

Move the bytecode in the appendix accordingly to A.2.1.

What do you think?  All comments appreciated.

Best regards,

Abbie

Abbie Surtees
Senior Engineer
Roke Manor Research Ltd
Old Salisbury Lane
Romsey, SO51 0ZN
Tel:   +44 (0) 1794 833131

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc