Subject: [rohc] RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-02.txt

From: "Ash, Gerald R \(Jerry\), ALABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 11:51:40 -0600

Hi All,

Please review and comment on the updated draft "Protocol Extensions for
Header Compression over MPLS"
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protoco
l-02.txt).

The updates are based primarily on comments from Colin Perkins and
Magnus Westerlund, see

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/avt/current/msg05911.html
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/avt/current/msg05920.html
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/avt/current/msg06022.html
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/avt/current/msg06043.html
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/avt/current/msg06052.html

The main changes include the following:

1. Section 3 'Header Compression over MPLS Protocol Overview' re-written
to not overlap with Section 4 'Protocol Specifications'
2. Section 4 re-written to use normative language for specifications
3. Section 4.2, all relevant TLVs from RFC3241 and RFC3544 included
4. Section 4.3, PW control word is now 2 octets, one for the length
value
5. Section 7 IANA Considerations, PW type values and sub-TLV values
defined per discussions with Allison Mankin, Luca Martini on AVT and
PWE3 lists

Once again, please review and comment on the updated draft.  

Thanks,
Jerry 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 10:50 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [AVT] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-02.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group of
the IETF.

	Title		: Protocol Extensions for Header Compression
over MPLS
	Author(s)	: J. Ash
	Filename	: draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-02.txt
	Pages		: 23
	Date		: 2005-12-28
	
VoIP typically uses the encapsulation voice/RTP/UDP/IP. When MPLS
   labels are added, this becomes voice/RTP/UDP/IP/MPLS-labels. For an
   MPLS VPN, the packet header is typically 48 bytes, while the voice
   payload is often no more than 30 bytes, for example. Header
   compression can significantly reduce the overhead through various
   compression mechanisms.  MPLS is used to route header-compressed (HC)
   packets over an MPLS LSP without compression/decompression cycles at
   each router.  Such an HC over MPLS capability increases the bandwidth
   efficiency as well as processing scalability of the maximum number of
   simultaneous compressed flows that use HC at each router.  MPLS
   pseudowires are used to transport the HC context and other control
   messages between the ingress and egress MPLS label switched router
   (LSR), and the pseudowires define one or more point-to-point
   instances corresponding to each HC session at the header
   decompressor.  Standard HC methods (e.g., ECRTP, ROHC, etc.) are
   re-used to determine the context.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol
-02.txt

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc