Subject: [rohc] sigcomp bandwith gain vs. sigcomp CPU cycles

From: Cristian CONSTANTIN <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 16:45:56 +0100

hi!

I was asking on this mailing list some months ago what would be an 
acceptable CPU time spent for the sigcomp processing on a node.

now, I have some figures resulted from tests done with sigcomp in the
t-mobile public UMTS network in berlin, germany. from the tests resulted
that the gain due to the usage of sigcomp (deflate+dictionary, no
dynamic compression) was between 219 ms and 249 ms per WCDMA link per
SIP call (the tests were done with the uas/uac scenario from sipp which
unfortunately generates _small_ SIP messages).

so, I guess that spending miliseconds, up to tens of ms by processing 
sigcomp messages would be o.k. however, if you want a high throughput 
capable p-cscf the least time is spent by sigcomp processing the better.

bye now!
cristian
-- 
 _          | There are many people who use UNIX or Linux  
(_'_        | who IMHO do not understand UNIX.
  (_'rist   |              --David Korn  
GPG public key at wwwkeys.de.pgp.net
_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc