Subject: [rohc] WG Review: Recharter of Robust Header Compression (rohc)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 10:27:41 -0400

A modified charter has been submitted for the Robust Header Compression 
(rohc) working group in the Transport Area of the IETF. The IESG has not made 
any determination as yet. The modified charter is provided below for 
informational purposes only. Please send your comments to the IESG mailing 
list ([email-masked]) by August 2nd.

+++

Robust Header Compression (rohc)
=================================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Lars-Erik Jonsson <[email-masked]> 

Transport Area Director(s):
Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]> 
Lars Eggert <[email-masked]> 

Transport Area Advisor:
Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]> 

Technical Advisor(s):
Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]> 
Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]> 

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rohc/index.html

Description of Working Group: 

The Robust Header Compression (ROHC) Working Group was formed to develop 
new header compression protocols, designed to suit today's and future 
target link technologies. Most specifically, the ROHC protocols were to 
take into account typical needs presented by various wireless link 
technologies, and perform well for cellular links built using 
technologies such as WCDMA, EDGE, and CDMA-2000. Protocol development 
has thus focused on coping with issues such as high loss rates and long 
round trip times. 

The WG has specified a common compression protocol platform, the ROHC 
framework, along with a number of compression protocols (profiles). Most 
focus has been on compression of the Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) 
headers, but profiles have also been specified for compression of UDP, 
ESP, IP-only, UDP-Lite, and TCP headers. The WG has further produced a 
ROHC link integration specification for PPP, an optimized RTP 
compression scheme for "0-byte compression", a ROHC MIB, as well as 
various informational documents related to ROHC header compression 
and/or header compression in general. 

In addition to the work on header compression, the ROHC WG has also 
developed the SigComp (Signaling Compression) protocol for end-to-end 
compression of text-based signaling protocol messages. 

The working group maintains connections with other standardization 
organizations developing cellular technology for IP, such as 3GPP and 
3GPP-2, to ensure that its output fulfills their requirements and will 
be put to good use. 

The current aims of the working group are: 

- to carry out a re-work of the ROHC framework and profiles 
specifications, hereafter referred to as the ROHCv2 project. The purpose 
of the ROHCv2 project is to generate a separate framework specification 
as well as a set of revised compression profiles. One specific goal with 
the ROHCv2 profiles is to improve tolerance to packet reordering between 
compressor and decompressor. 

- to update and correct the original profile specifications through 
publication of the "Corrections and Clarifications to RFC 3095"- 
document. 

- to finalize the ROHC profile work for TCP header compression. 

- to develop and/or document proper protocol solutions to apply ROHC 
over IPsec tunnels. 

- to finalize the "SigComp implementer's guide" and "SigComp for SIP" 
documents. 

The longer term goal of the working group is to advance all its 
specifications to Draft Standard status (with an exception for the 
original profiles being revised as part of the ROHCv2 activity). 

Goals and Milestones: 
Done Problem analysis ROHC-over-channels-that-can-reorder-packets 
submitted to IESG for publication as Informational. 
Done I-Ds of ROHC IP/UDP/RTP bis, framework and profiles separated. 
Aug 2006 RFC 3095 Implementer's Guide submitted to IESG for publication 
as Proposed Standard. 
Sep 2006 IP/TCP compression scheme submitted to IESG for publication as 
Proposed Standard. 
Nov 2006 ROHC framework submitted to IESG for publication as Proposed 
Standard. 
Nov 2006 SigComp for SIP submitted to IESG for publication as Proposed 
Standard. 
Dec 2006 Revised ROHC IPUDP//RTP profiles submitted to IESG for 
publication as Proposed Standard. 
Dec 2006 SigComp Implementer's Guide submitted to IESG for publication 
as Informational. 
Jan 2007 RObust Header Compression Protocol Number Registration submitted 
to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard. 
Feb 2007 ROHC encapsulation profile(s) for IPHC/CRTP/eCRTP submitted to 
IESG for publication as Proposed Standard. 
Mar 2007 IKE/IPsec extensions for HC-session Parameter Negotiation 
submitted to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard. 
Mar 2007 Header Compression over IPsec (HCoIPsec) submitted to IESG for 
publication as Informational. 
Jun 2007 Recharter of WG to develop additional profiles if needed, or 
possible additional compression schemes. Consideration of 
concluding the working group.

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc