Subject: [Roll] question regarding context and service discovery routing issues

From: "Georgios Karagiannis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 15:33:21 +0000

Dear all

I have checked the several ROLL requirements drafts, but I could not find
a requirement that is related to context and service discovery routing!
I think that for multi-hop wireless networks, and especially adhoc sensor
networks the way of how the discovery of the environment of a device is
accomplished and how routing based on this discovery is done, are very
important capabilities that make the device usefull.

The 6lowpan and zerocof have addressed/addressing this issue, but I am
not sure if this is done in the context of low power and lossy networks.

Can you please inform me if context and service discovery routing issues
are out of the scope of this WG?

Best regards,
Georgios
_______________________________________________
Roll mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll

---

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 19:27:07 -0400

Hi,

> From: Georgios Karagiannis <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 15:33:21 +0000
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: [Roll] question regarding context and service discovery routing
> issues
> 
> Dear all
> 

Thanks, excellent question.

It is perfectly in the scope. From the WG Charter: " ... For
example path selection must be designed to take into consideration the
specific power capabilities, attributes and functional characteristics
of the links and nodes in the network. ...".

A node constraint/attribute/service is clearly one on the specifics that a
routing solution for LLN must support.

Could be:
- A Node constraint (level of energy, CPU, ...)
- A Node attribute (e.g, to be to used to carry traffic with characteristic
X, ... )
- A node service (e.g, ability to support data aggregation)

May I suggest you to provide comments on the requirements IDs along these
lines?

Thanks.

JP.

---

From: Jukka MJ Manner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 15:50:11 +0200 (EET)

I would also be interested to work on this topic. I'll provide comments to 
the I-Ds.

Jukka

---

From: "Georgios Karagiannis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 20:30:10 +0000

Hi JP

Thanks, I will follow your recommendations!

Best regards,
Georgios