Subject: [Roll] I-D Action:draft-ietf-roll-home-routing-reqs-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 05:45:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Home Automation Routing Requirement in Low Power and Lossy Networks
	Author(s)       : A. Brandt, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-roll-home-routing-reqs-03.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2008-09-11

This document presents home control and automation application 
specific requirements for Routing Over Low power and Lossy 
networks (ROLL). In a modern home, a high number of wireless 
devices are used for a wide set of purposes. Examples include 
actuators (relay, light dimmer, heating valve), sensors (wall 
switch, water leak, blood pressure) and advanced controllers. 
Because such devices only cover a limited radio range, routing is 

 often required. The aim of this document is to specify the routing 
requirements for networks comprising such constrained devices in a 
home control and automation environment.  

Requirements Language 

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL 
NOT", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" 
in this document are to be interpreted as described in RFC-2119 
[RFC2119].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-roll-home-routing-reqs-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Roll mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll

---

From: "Anders Brandt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 11:38:04 +0200

Hi JP

>Thanks ! Could send an email summarizing the changes, and tell us if
you addressed the comments that I sent you ?
Sure. Delta spec is attached showing all changes from v.02 to v.03

We have tried to incorporate most of your comments and suggestions as
well.
The same goes for the comments posted to the list by Zach Shelby and
some few others we received directly.

To all of you: Thanks for taking the time to review this doc. It is
beginning to look right.

V.03 has no additional input from TelecomItalia. All blame should be put
on Jakob and me.

Cheers,
  Anders

-----Original Message-----
From: JP Vasseur [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 11. september 2008 19:16
To: Anders Brandt; Porcu Giorgio
Subject: FW: [Roll] I-D Action:draft-ietf-roll-home-routing-reqs-03.txt

Thanks ! Could send an email summarizing the changes, and tell us if you
addressed the comments that I sent you ?

Thanks.

JP.

------ Forwarded Message
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 05:45:01 -0700 (PDT)
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Roll] I-D Action:draft-ietf-roll-home-routing-reqs-03.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Routing Over Low power and Lossy
networks Working Group of the IETF.

 Title           : Home Automation Routing Requirement in Low Power and
Lossy Networks
 Author(s)       : A. Brandt, et al.
 Filename        : draft-ietf-roll-home-routing-reqs-03.txt
 Pages           : 18
 Date            : 2008-09-11

This document presents home control and automation application specific
requirements for Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks (ROLL). In a
modern home, a high number of wireless devices are used for a wide set
of purposes. Examples include actuators (relay, light dimmer, heating
valve), sensors (wall switch, water leak, blood pressure) and advanced
controllers.
Because such devices only cover a limited radio range, routing is

 often required. The aim of this document is to specify the routing
requirements for networks comprising such constrained devices in a home
control and automation environment.

Requirements Language

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL"
in this document are to be interpreted as described in RFC-2119
[RFC2119].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-roll-home-routing-reqs-03
.txt

------ End of Forwarded Message

---

From: "Anders Brandt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 13:02:13 +0200

Hi JP - again

Oops

Just realized you asked for a summary; not all changes!

Primary changes from v.02 to 03:

* Update to common terminology of sensors and actuators

* Energy conservation section simplified (mainly editorial)

* New table: Mapping use cases to requirements

* Groupcast section, emphasis: Requirement for L2 interface

* New requirement sections:
  - Sleeping nodes
  - Healthcare routing

* Security considerations section significantly reduced to
  reflect only requirements really relating to routing.

* Added references to other application requirements drafts
  (to be updated when drafts become RFC's or time out)

As mentioned earlier,

Cheers,
  Anders

---

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 14:04:56 +0200

Hi,

Thanks for the new revision.

Two main comments

1) with regards to your question:

" Author's note:                                           |
| The support of groupcast only has implication on the     |
| addressing scheme and as such, it is outside the scope   |
| of this document that focuses on routing requirements.   |
| Nevertheless, it is an important parameter for the       |
| definition of the ROLL layer interface towards various   |
| layer two technologies for home control.                 |
|                                                          |
| Should a dedicated application-specific document be      |
| created for such details?                                |
+----------------------------------------------------------+ "

Start with a email thread on the ML.

2) Open issues
Other items to be addressed in further revisions of this document
include: 
o Load Balancing (Symmetrical and Asymmetrical)
o Groupcast definition in a separate document? (TBD)
o Use case: Home Control Installer Scenario
o Security 

Question/suggestion:
Dou you think that you could quckly address the first 3 bullets ?
With regards to security, I would suggest you to start a separate thread on
the ML.

In the next revision you should be able to point to the terminology draft,
at which point we should be able for LC.

Thanks.

JP.