Subject: Re: [Roll] draft-ietf-roll-protocols-survey-00

From: "Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:29:17 +0100

(Apologies if this doesn't thread properly, it's from a posting
before I subscribed.)

Philip Levis wrote:
> Emmanuel Baccelli wrote:
>> - OLSR is said to "fail" the "control cost" criteria. However, simple
>> fisheye TTL strategy on OLSR control messages makes OLSR "pass" this
>> criteria. See this paper "Fish Eye OLSR Scaling Properties" in
Journal
>> of Communication and Networks, 2004. Actually this paper even proves
>> that OLSR can thus reach the Gupta and Kumar bounds in terms of  
>> control
>> overhead scalability.

> I think it's important to have a clear line defining what sufficiently

> demonstrates properties of a protocol. I think the paper has some  
> interesting ideas, but it isn't a protocol specification, nor does it

> demonstrate a working protocol with real wireless behavior (e.g., link

> dynamics).

The OLSRv2 protocol specification allows the use of the Fisheye property
(also see Fuzzy/Hazy Sighted Link State routing) as part of its
specification.
It does however leave it entirely up to the implementor/user how to use
it
(i.e. how to use a suitable - and what is suitable is defined - pattern
of
hop limits). In OLSRv1 it isn't specified in RFC 3626, just hooks are
there
(mostly, there is a detail in which using fisheye in unmodified OLSRv1
has
a problem - not a showstopper, but a "should be better" and OLSRv2 has
it
better).

> Do you have running code?

Yes. Code that runs in simulation and on real hardware. However I've
currently
only run the fisheye in small simulated networks.

-- 
Christopher Dearlove
Technology Leader, Communications Group
Networks, Security and Information Systems Department
BAE Systems Advanced Technology Centre
West Hanningfield Road, Great Baddow, Chelmsford, CM2 8HN, UK
Tel: +44 1245 242194  Fax: +44 1245 242124

BAE Systems (Operations) Limited
Registered Office: Warwick House, PO Box 87,
Farnborough Aerospace Centre, Farnborough, Hants, GU14 6YU, UK
Registered in England & Wales No: 1996687

********************************************************************
This email and any attachments are confidential to the intended
recipient and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender.
You should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or
distribute its contents to any other person.
********************************************************************

_______________________________________________
Roll mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll