Subject: [Roll] FW: I-D Action:draft-vasseur-roll-terminology-01.txt

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 09:40:12 +0200

Dear all,

Here is a terminology ID, the idea being to use this document for the
terminology in ROLL IDs, and thus avoid terminology inconsistencies. Thanks
to review and provide your comments. Then, thanks to the authors of ROLL IDs
to make the appropriate changes in their documents referring to this one and
only specify the terminology specific to their document.

Thanks.

JP.

------ Forwarded Message
From: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 00:30:01 -0700 (PDT)
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: I-D Action:draft-vasseur-roll-terminology-01.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

 Title           : Terminology in Low power And Lossy Networks
 Author(s)       : J. Vasseur
 Filename        : draft-vasseur-roll-terminology-01.txt
 Pages           : 8
 Date            : 2008-09-13

The documents defines a terminology for discussing routing
requirements and solutions for networks referred to as Low power and
Lossy Networks (LLN).  A LLN is typically composed of many embedded
devices with limited power, memory, and processing resources
interconnected by a variety of links.  There is a wide scope of
application areas for LLNs, including industrial monitoring, building
automation (Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning also referred
to as HVAC, lighting, access control, fire), connected home,
healthcare, environmental monitoring, urban sensor networks, energy
management, assets tracking, refrigeration.Requirements Language

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119 [RFC2119].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vasseur-roll-terminology-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

------ End of Forwarded Message

_______________________________________________
Roll mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll

---

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:00:16 -0700

JP,

	Nice document. Bunch of editorial (and some substantive)
	comments in-line (search for dmm>).

	Thnx,

	Dave

Networking Working Group                                     JP. Vasseur
Internet-Draft                                        Cisco Systems, Inc
Intended status: Informational                        September 15, 2008
Expires: March 19, 2009

              Terminology in Low power And Lossy Networks
                 draft-vasseur-roll-terminology-01.txt

Status of this Memo

   By submitting this Internet-Draft, each author represents that any
   applicable patent or other IPR claims of which he or she is aware
   have been or will be disclosed, and any of which he or she becomes
   aware will be disclosed, in accordance with Section 6 of BCP 79.

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
   other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
   Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

   This Internet-Draft will expire on March 19, 2009.

Abstract

dmm> s/(Heating,/(e.g, Heating,/

dmm> s/also referred to as HVAC//
dmm> (no need to give the acronym in the abstract)

   healthcare, environmental monitoring, urban sensor networks, energy
   management, assets tracking, refrigeration.

Vasseur                  Expires March 19, 2009                 [Page 1]

Internet-Draft    draft-vasseur-roll-terminology-01.txt   September 2008

Requirements Language

dmm> The use of 2119 language in non-protocol specs is at least
dmm> controversial, and since you don't really use 2119 language
dmm> in the document, you could probably remove the above text
dmm> (Requirements Language) and the normative reference.

Table of Contents

   1.  Introduction  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3
   2.  Terminology . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3
   3.  IANA Considerations . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6
   4.  Security Considerations . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6
   5.  Acknowledgements  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6
   6.  References  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6
     6.1.  Normative References  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6
     6.2.  Informative References  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6
   Author's Address  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 7
   Intellectual Property and Copyright Statements  . . . . . . . . . . 8

Vasseur                  Expires March 19, 2009                 [Page 2]

Internet-Draft    draft-vasseur-roll-terminology-01.txt   September 2008

1.  Introduction

   This document defines a terminology for discussing routing
   requirements and solutions for networks referred to as Low power and
   Lossy Networks (LLN).

   Low power and Lossy networks (LLNs) are typically composed of many
   embedded devices with limited power, memory, and processing resources
   interconnected by a variety of links, such as IEEE 802.15.4, Low

dmm> s/802.15.4, Low/802.15.4 or Low/

   Power WiFi.  There is a wide scope of application areas for LLNs,
   including industrial monitoring, building automation (HVAC, lighting,
   access control, fire), connected home, healthcare, environmental
   monitoring, urban sensor networks, energy management, assets tracking
   and refrigeration.

   Since these applications are usually highly specific (Industrial
   Automation, Building Automation, ...), it is not uncommon to see a

dmm> maybe    
dmm> 
dmm> "Since these applications are usually highly specific
dmm> (for example, Industrial or Building Automation), it is
dmm> not..."

   number of disparate terms to describe the same device or
   functionality.  

   Thus it was needed to specify common terms for all
   LLNs to avoid confusion and discrepancies.  

dmm> Maybe: "Thus in order to avoid confusion or discrepancies,
dmm> this document specifies the common terminology to be used
dmm> in all ROLL Working Group documents." 

   Terminology specific to a particular application are out of
   the scope of this document. 

   It is expected that all routing requirements documents defining
   requirements or specifying routing solutions for LLN will use the
   common terminology specified in this document.

2.  Terminology

   Actuator: a field device that controls a set of equipments.  
dmm> s/equipments/equipment/
   An actuator can control and/or modulates the flow of a gas or
   liquid, control electricity distribution, perform a mechanical
   operation, ... 

dmm> Maybe:
dmm> 
dmm> For example, an actuator might control and/or modulate the
dmm> flow of a gas or liquid, control electricity distribution,
dmm> or perform a mechanical operation.

   AMI: Advanced Metering Infrastructure that makes use of Smart Grid
   technologies.  Encompasses smart-metering applications.
dmm>              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
dmm> Maybe
dmm> A canonical Smart Grid application is smart-metering.
dmm> 
dmm> BTW, need a cite for Smart Grid here?

   Channel: Radio frequency sub-band used to transmit a modulated signal
   carrying packets.

   Channel Hopping: A procedure by which field devices synchronously
   change channels during operation.

   Commissioning Tool: Any physical or logical device temporarily added
   to the network for the expressed purpose of setting up the network
   and device operational parameters.  The commision tool can also be
dmm> s/commision/commissioning 
   temporarily added for scheduled or unscheduled maintenance.
dmm> s/added/added to the LLN network/
   Closed Loop Control: A process whereby a device controller controls

Vasseur                  Expires March 19, 2009                 [Page 3]

Internet-Draft    draft-vasseur-roll-terminology-01.txt   September 2008

   an actuator based on information sensed by one or more field devices.

   Controller: A field device that can receive sensor input and
   automatically change the environment in the facility by manipulating
   digital or analog actuators.

   DA: Distribution Automation, part of Smart Grid.  Encompasses
   technologies for maintenance and management of electrical
   distribution systems.
dmm> Maybe
dmm> Technologies for maintenance and management of electrical
dmm> distribution systems are examples DA.

   Downstream: Data direction traveling from outside of the LLN (e.g.
   traffic coming from a LAN, WAN or the Internet) via a LBR.

   Field Device: physical devices placed in the network's operating
dmm> s/physical devices/A Field Device is a physical device/
   environment (plant, urban, home, ...).  Field devices include
dmm> s/(plant, urban, home, ...)/(e.g., plant, urban, or home)
   sensors, actuators as well as routers and Low power and lossy network
dmm> s/lossy network/Lossy Network/
   Border Router (including LBR).  A field device is most of the time
dmm> s/most of the time/usually/
   (but not always) a constrained device with limited CPU, memory
dmm> s/constrained//
dmm> (limited --> constrained)
   footprint, storage capacity, bandwidth and sometimes power
   constrained (battery operated).  At the time of writing, for the sake
dmm> s/constrained//
   of illustration, a typicaly sensor or actuator would have a few
dmm> s/typicaly/typically/

   KBytes of RAM, a few dozens of KBytes of ROM/Flash memory, a 8/16/32
   bit microcontroller and communication capabilities ranging from a few
   Kbits/s to a few hundreds of KBits/s.  Altough it is expected to see
dmm> s/Altough/Although/
   comtinuous improvements of hardware and software technologies, such
dmm> s/comtinous/continous/
   devices will likely continue to be seen as constrained devices
dmm> s/constrained/resource constrained/
   compared to computers and routers used in the Internet.

   Flash memory: non-volatile memory that can be re-programmed.

   FMS: Facility Management System.  A global term applied across all
   the vertical designations within a building including, Heating,
dmm> vertial designations not really defined...
   Ventilating, and Air Conditioning also referred to as HVAC, Fire,
dmm> s/also referred to as HVAC/(HVAC)/
   Security, Lighting and Elevator control.

   HART: "Highway Addressable Remote Transducer", a group of
   specifications for industrial process and control devices
   administered by the HART Foundation (see [HART]).  The latest version
   for the specifications is HART7 which includes the additions for
   WirelessHART.

   HVAC: Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning.  A term applied to
   the comfort level of an internal space.

   ISA: "International Society of Automation".  ISA is an ANSI
   accredited standards-making society.  ISA100 is an ISA committee
   whose charter includes defining a family of standards for industrial
   automation.  [ISA100.11a] is a working group within ISA100 that is

Vasseur                  Expires March 19, 2009                 [Page 4]

Internet-Draft    draft-vasseur-roll-terminology-01.txt   September 2008

   working on a standard for monitoring and non-critical process control
   applications.

   LAN: Local Area Network.

   LBR: Low power and lossy network Border Router.  The LBR is a device
   that connects the low power and lossy network to another routing
dmm> capitalization of Low power and Lossy Network
dmm> consistent capitalization, etc...
   domain such as a Local Area Network (LAN), Wide Area Network (WAN) or
   the Internet where a possibly different routing protocol is in
   operation.  The LBR acts as a routing device and may possibly host
   other functions such as data collector or aggregator.

   LLN: Low power and Lossy networks (LLNs) are typically composed of
   many embedded devices with limited power, memory, and processing
   resources interconnected by a variety of links, such as IEEE
   802.15.4, Low Power WiFi.  There is a wide scope of application areas
dmm> s/802.15.4,/802.15.4 or /
   for LLNs, including industrial monitoring, building automation (HVAC,
   lighting, access control, fire), connected home, healthcare,
dmm> s/(HVAC, lighting, access control, fire)//
   environmental monitoring, urban sensor networks, energy management,
   assets tracking and refrigeration..
dmm> s/assets tracking and refrigeration../asset tracking and refrigeration./

   Open Loop Control: A process whereby a plant operator manually
   manipulates an actuator over the network where the decision is
   influenced by information sensed by field devices.

   RAM: Random Access Memory.  The RAM is a volatile memory.

   ROM: Read Only Memory.

   ROLL: Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks.

   Schedule: An agreed execution, wake-up, transmission, reception,
   etc., time-table between two or more field devices.

   Sensor: device that measures a physical quantity and converts it to a
dmm> s/device/A Sensor is a device/
   analog or digital signal that can be read by a program or a user.
   Sensed data can be of many types: electromagnetic (current, voltage,
   power, resistance) , mechanical (pressure, flow, liquid density,
   humidity, ...), chemical (oxygen, carbon monoxide, ...), acoustic
   (noise, ultrasound), ...
dmm> s/acoustic (noise, ultrasound), .../or acoustic (e.g., noise or ultrasound)./

   Smart Grid: a broad class of applications to network and automate
dmm> s/a/A Smart Grid is a/
   utility infrastructure.

   Timeslot: A fixed time interval that may be used for the transmission
   or reception of a packet between two field devices.  A timeslot used
   for communications is associated with a slotted-link

dmm> to be consistent, you might say "Timeslot: A Timeslot is a fixed..."

Vasseur                  Expires March 19, 2009                 [Page 5]

Internet-Draft    draft-vasseur-roll-terminology-01.txt   September 2008

   Upstream: Data direction traveling from the LLN via the LBR to
   outside of the LLN (LAN, WAN, Internet).

   WAN: Wide Area Network.

3.  IANA Considerations

   This document includes no request for IANA action.

4.  Security Considerations

   Since this document specifies terminology and does not specify new
   procedure or protocols, there are no security issues associated with
   it.
dmm> Maybe
dmm> s/there are no security issues associated with it/it raises
dmm>  no new security issues/

5.  Acknowledgements

   The authors would like to thank Christian Jacquenet, Tim Winter and
   Pieter De Mil for their valuable feed-back.

6.  References

6.1.  Normative References

   [RFC2119]  Bradner, S., "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate
              Requirement Levels", BCP 14, RFC 2119, March 1997.
dmm> again, I'm not sure this reference is needed..

6.2.  Informative References

dmm> None of these are referenced anywhere...

   [I-D.ietf-roll-home-routing-reqs]
              Brandt, A., Buron, J., and G. Porcu, "Home Automation
              Routing Requirement in Low Power and Lossy Networks",
              draft-ietf-roll-home-routing-reqs-03 (work in progress),
              September 2008.

   [I-D.ietf-roll-indus-routing-reqs]
              Networks, D., Thubert, P., Dwars, S., and T. Phinney,
              "Industrial Routing Requirements in Low Power and Lossy
              Networks", draft-ietf-roll-indus-routing-reqs-01 (work in
              progress), July 2008.

   [I-D.ietf-roll-urban-routing-reqs]
              Dohler, M., Watteyne, T., Winter, T., Jacquenet, C.,
              Madhusudan, G., Chegaray, G., and D. Barthel, "Urban WSNs

Vasseur                  Expires March 19, 2009                 [Page 6]

Internet-Draft    draft-vasseur-roll-terminology-01.txt   September 2008

              Routing Requirements in Low Power and Lossy Networks",
              draft-ietf-roll-urban-routing-reqs-01 (work in progress),
              July 2008.

   [I-D.martocci-roll-building-routing-reqs]
              Martocci, J., Riou, N., Mil, P., and W. Vermeylen,
              "Commercial Routing Requirements in Low Power and Lossy
              Networks", draft-martocci-roll-building-routing-reqs-00
              (work in progress), September 2008.

Author's Address

   JP Vasseur
   Cisco Systems, Inc
   1414 Massachusetts Avenue
   Boxborough, MA  01719
   USA

   Email: [email-masked]

Vasseur                  Expires March 19, 2009                 [Page 7]

Internet-Draft    draft-vasseur-roll-terminology-01.txt   September 2008

Full Copyright Statement

   Copyright (C) The IETF Trust (2008).

   This document is subject to the rights, licenses and restrictions
   contained in BCP 78, and except as set forth therein, the authors
   retain all their rights.

   This document and the information contained herein are provided on an
   "AS IS" basis and THE CONTRIBUTOR, THE ORGANIZATION HE/SHE REPRESENTS
   OR IS SPONSORED BY (IF ANY), THE INTERNET SOCIETY, THE IETF TRUST AND
   THE INTERNET ENGINEERING TASK FORCE DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS
   OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF
   THE INFORMATION HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED
   WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Intellectual Property

   The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of any
   Intellectual Property Rights or other rights that might be claimed to
   pertain to the implementation or use of the technology described in
   this document or the extent to which any license under such rights
   might or might not be available; nor does it represent that it has
   made any independent effort to identify any such rights.  Information
   on the procedures with respect to rights in RFC documents can be
   found in BCP 78 and BCP 79.

   Copies of IPR disclosures made to the IETF Secretariat and any
   assurances of licenses to be made available, or the result of an
   attempt made to obtain a general license or permission for the use of
   such proprietary rights by implementers or users of this
   specification can be obtained from the IETF on-line IPR repository at
   http://www.ietf.org/ipr.

   The IETF invites any interested party to bring to its attention any
   copyrights, patents or patent applications, or other proprietary
   rights that may cover technology that may be required to implement
   this standard.  Please address the information to the IETF at
   [email-masked].

Vasseur                  Expires March 19, 2009                 [Page 8]

---

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:13:14 -0700

A couple of other points. A definition of "Access Point"
	and "Repeater" may be useful to prevent every use-case
	document from having to (re)define them. Perhaps:

	Access Point:  An access point is an infrastructure
	device that connects the LLN to a backbone network.

	Repeater: A repeater is an infrastructure device that
	acts a relay for the purpose of improving LLN coverage, 
	lifetime, and routing efficiency. 

	Dave

---

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 22:52:14 +0200

Well I asked *not* to use the term access point and repeater.

---

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 13:58:01 -0700

> Well I asked *not* to use the term access point and repeater.

	Ok, must have missed that. I just noticed the use of one
	or both in the U-LLN and home-routing-reqs drafts.

	Thnx,

	Dave