Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-rps-appl-rpsl-02.txt,.ps

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 14:27:38 -0400

Note:  This announcement is being re-sent with a correction made.

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Routing Policy System Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Using RPSL in Practice
	Author(s)	: D. Meyer, C. Alaettinoglu, J. Schmitz, C. Orange
	Filename	: draft-ietf-rps-appl-rpsl-02.txt,.ps
	Pages		: 20
	Date		: 14-Jul-98
	
This document  is  a tutorial  on  using the  Routing  Policy  Specification
Language (RPSL)  to  describe  routing  policies  in  the  Internet  Routing
Registry (IRR).  We explain  how  to specify  various routing  policies  and
configurations using RPSL, how  to register these policies  in the IRR,  and
how to analyze  them using the  routing policy analysis  tools, for  example
to generate  vendor  specific  router  configurations.    This  document  is
targeted towards an Internet/Network Service Provider (ISP/NSP) engineer who
understands Internet routing, but is new to RPSL and to the IRR. Readers are
referred to the RPSL reference  document [1] for completeness.   It is  also
good to have that document at hand while working through this tutorial.

The IRR is a repository of routing policies.  Currently, the IRR  repository
is a set of five repositories maintained at the following sites:  the CA*Net
registry in Canada, the  ANS, MCI and RADB  registries in the United  States
of America, and  the RIPE  registry in Europe.   The  five repositories  are
run independently.   However, each site exchanges  its data with the  others
regularly (at least once  a day and as  often as every ten  minutes).   MCI,
Ca*Net and ANS are private registries which contain the routing policies  of
the networks and the customer networks of MCI, Ca*Net, and ANS respectively.
RADB and RIPE  are both  public registries,  and any ISP  can publish  their
policies in these registries.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-rps-appl-rpsl-02.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rps-appl-rpsl-02.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rps-appl-rpsl-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.