Subject: Reminder: CfP IMC-98 INTERACTIVE APPLICATIONS OF MOBILE COMPUTING

From: imc98 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 11:45:10 +0200

Dear colleague,

Please let us remind you of the approaching submission deadline for 
IMC'98.
We cordially invite you to submitt a paper to this workshop.

Please feel free to distribute ths CfP to interested colleagues
and post it as appropriate. Also, please accept our sincere
apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CfP.

Thank you very much.

With best regards,

Bodo Urban                Thomas Kirste
IMC'98 Conference Chair   IMC'98 Program Chair

======================================================================
		     Preliminary Call for Papers

	 IMC-98 INTERACTIVE APPLICATIONS OF MOBILE COMPUTING

	       Rostock, Germany -- November 24-25, 1998

		   http://www.egd.igd.fhg.de/~imc98

		  Submission Deadline: July 31, 1998
======================================================================

Aims and Scope

    The availability of ultra-portable mobile computing hardware
    allows to support the user in virtually all situations of everyday
    life. Instead of being tied to the desktop, computer assistance is
    becoming available in any situation, anytime, and
    anywhere. Environment-sensitive mobile computing devices guide
    visitors through exhibitions, assist maintenance personnel in
    repairing complex machinery, and help people by scheduling and
    keeping track of their personal daily tasks.  The use of computing
    and communications devices becomes an integral part of modern
    lifestyle, augmenting physical reality with computer-generated
    information.

    Providing an optimal support for the user based on mobile
    computing hardware poses new challenges for developers of
    interactive graphics an multimedia information systems.  New
    approaches are required for providing database- and
    middleware-support for mobile multimedia, adequate sensorics and
    environment monitoring facilities, as well as the cognitive
    minimal intrusive integration of computer- generated assistive
    information.

    The goal of this workshop is to bring together researchers,
    developers and practitioners in all these areas of interactive
    mobile information system. The workshop will provide a forum for
    the discussion of the individual problem areas from an
    interdisciplinary viewpoint, supporting cross- fertilization and
    problem awareness between the different research areas of
    interactive mobile applications.

Thematic focus

    Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

    - Database support for mobile, interactive graphics and multimedia
      applications; transaction, security and replication concepts.

    - Imaging, visualization and presentation in distributed and
      mobile environments; integrated use of alternative presentation
      media.

    - Adaptive architectures for heterogeneous, dynamic, and
      resource-limited system infrastructures.

    - Data and object models for mobile information systems.

    - Environment sensing technologies, situation and location
      dependent computing.

    - User interface strategies and visualization concepts for
      heterogeneous mobile devices, ranging from PDA to wearable
      computers.

    - Modeling concepts for situation and task-dependent assistive
      support (workflow approaches, cognitive task models).

    - Interactive mobile applications: case studies, design concepts,
      experiences.

    After the successful IMC'96 being held in Rostock during February
    1996, IMC'98 will be the second workshop spanning the gap between
    Interactive Graphics Applications and system technologies for
    Mobile Computing.

Submissions

    Authors are invited to submit extended abstracts / position papers
    (4 pages) on completed research or work in progress to the IMC'98
    conference secretariat (see below for address). Electronic
    submission by Email is preferred. Alternatively, you may use our
    anonymous ftp server ftp.egd.igd.fhg.de, directory /public/imc98
    (please send us a note by Email after upload, specifying name,
    type, and contents of the file)

Important Dates

    July 31: Extended abstracts due.
    August 31: Notification of acceptance.
    November 10: Camera ready papers due.

Supporting Organizations

    ACM 
    GI FG 4.1
    GI AK 4.0.4 

Program committee

    B. Andersen, Copenhagen Business School, DK
    B.R. Badrinath, Rutgers Univ, USA
    U. Baumgarten, TU Munich, D
    K. Brodlie, Univ. Leeds, UK
    M.G. Brown, Olivetti & Oracle Research Lab, UK
    J.F. Buford, GTE Laboratories, USA
    B. Burg, Motorola Research Paris, F
    C.H. Cap, Rostock Univ., D
    N. Davies, Univ. Lancaster , UK
    J.L. Encarnacao, TU Darmstadt, D
    S. Fischer, TU Darmstadt, D
    B. Freisleben, Univ. Siegen, D
    N. Gerfelder, ZGDV Darmstadt, D
    B. Herzog, CRCG Providence, USA
    A. Heuer, Univ. Rostock, D
    W. Herzner, Research Center Seibersdorf, AT
    B. Kehrer, ZGDV Rostock, D
    U. Kersken, Bosch Research, D
    T. Kirste, Fraunhofer-IGD Rostock, D (Program Chair)
    K. Meyer-Wegener, TU Dresden, D
    R. Prang, Volkswagen Research, D
    B.-O. Schneider, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, USA
    S. Schnittger, FAW Ulm, D
    H. Schumann, Univ. Rostock, D
    P. Slavik, TH Prag, CZ
    R. Steinmetz, GMD Darmstadt, D
    J. Teixeira, Univ. Coimbra, PT
    B. Urban, Fraunhofer-IGD Rostock, D (Conference Chair)
    H. Wandke, Humboldt-University Berlin, D
    I. Wolff, Institut fuer Mobil- u. Satellitenfunktechnik, D

Organization

    IMC-98 Conference Secretariat
    Fraunhofer-Institute for Computer Graphics
    J.-Jungius-Str. 11, D-18059 Rostock, Germany
    Phone: +49 (0) 381 4024-110
    Fax:   +49 (0) 381 4024-199
    Email: [email-masked]
    http://www.egd.igd.fhg.de/~imc98