Subject: [RPSEC] Charter Draft

From: Russ White <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 21:14:08 -0400 (EDT)

Okay, this is what I have thus far. I'd like to get Bill and Alex
to turn this over to the IESG real soon now, as in the next day
or two, so if anyone has comments, please hurry them along. :-)

Russ

__________________________________
[email-masked] CCIE <>< Grace Alone

-----

Operation of the Routing Protocol Security Requirements Working Group (rpsec)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Charter
 Last Modified: 28-Apr-02

 Current Status: Proposed Working Group

 Chairs:
     Russ White ([email-masked])
     Marcus Leech ([email-masked])

 General Area Directors:
     Alex Zinin ([email-masked])
     Bill Fenner ([email-masked]

 Mailing Lists:
     General Discussion: [email-masked]
     To Subscribe:       [email-masked]

Description of Working Group:

The lack of a common set of security requirements and methods for
routing protocols has resulted in a wide variety of security
mechanisms for individual routing protocols.  Ongoing work on
requirements for the next generation routing system and future
work on the actual mechanisms for it will require well documented
routing security requirements.

The products of this working group will be used by routing
protcool designers to ensure adequate coverage of security in the
future, including well known and possible threats.

The RPSEC working group is charged with the following tasks:

 - Document threat models for routing systems
 - Document security requirements for routing systems
 - Provide a common area for discussion between security and
   routing experts on the topic of securing the routing system

 Goals and Milestones:

  Aug 2002: Submit initial I-D (or set of I-Ds) which details
     the threats to routing systems.

  Nov 2002: Submit initial I-D (or set of I-Ds) which outlines
     security requirements for routing systems.

  Jan 2003: Submit I-Ds documenting threats to routing systems
     for publication as Informational RFC.

  Apr 2003: Submit the I-D documenting security requirements to
     routing systems for publication as Informational RFC.

  Jun 2003: Evaluate progress, recharter with new goals (see
     possible future work below) or shutdown.

 Possible Future Work:

 o Document the feasibility of various types of security
   mechinisms within routing systems
 o Document requirements for new security mechanisms
 o Document security requirements for the next generation routing
   system

_______________________________________________
RPSEC mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rpsec