Subject: RE: [RPSEC] DDoS of routing ?

From: "Ayyasamy, Senthilkumar (UMKC-Student)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 23:53:03 -0600

Alex,

> > port 179 attack is a way for cpu resource exhaustion. If vendors are
> > clever enough, heuristics can be provided at ASIC level to avoid
> > such attacks.
> 
> I'm sure many people here would be interested to know how.

I meant router mechanisms to avoid DoS attacks.

by means of packet sampling. a tight filter, say 1:100 will help us
drill down DoS attacks.

also, some recent proposals. RED-PD and pushback.

- Senthil.
_______________________________________________
RPSEC mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rpsec

---

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 22:14:29 -0800

Senthil,

> by means of packet sampling. a tight filter, say 1:100 will help us

hmmm... but you can't avoid an attack by sampling... you could
probably detect something, but not avoid

> also, some recent proposals. RED-PD and pushback.

the key problem with these attacks is that forged packets
look exactly like valid up until you do the MD5 check,
so RED, filters, etc. won't be able to tell them apart...

Alex