Subject: RE: [RPSEC] Topic 9: Section 4.10 Network Mapping Threat

From: "Ayyasamy, Senthilkumar (UMKC-Student)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 23:41:21 -0600

Tony,

> I had a similar thought about the "deliberate exposure" idea.
> Is it not the job of the routing protocol to expose information?
> 
> What do others think?

It was documented in 1995 and so, we have registeries.

RFC 1787.

 "7. Routing Information Sharing

   While ensuring Internet-wide coordination may be more and more
   difficult, as the Internet continues to grow, stability and
   consistency of the Internet-wide routing could significantly benefit
   if the information about routing requirements of various
   organizations could be shared across organizational boundaries. Such
   information could be used in a wide variety of situations ranging
   from troubleshooting to detecting and eliminating conflicting routing
   requirements. The scale of the Internet implies that the information
   should be distributed. " 
_______________________________________________
RPSEC mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rpsec

---

From: Tony Tauber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:21:01 -0500 (EST)

> It was documented in 1995 and so, we have registeries.

Again, let's not focus on just the operation of "the Internet",
which is what this paragraph and RFC discuss, but also the
function of the protocols on which it is based (be they used
on private networks or whatever).  Routing Registries aren't
part of BGP in any formal sense.  They are an operational
contrivance which can be used in a given BGP deployment. Or not.

Tony

>    consistency of the Internet-wide routing could significantly
>    benefit if the information about routing requirements of various
>    organizations could be shared across organizational boundaries.
>    Such information could be used in a wide variety of situations
>    ranging from troubleshooting to detecting and eliminating
>    conflicting routing requirements. The scale of the Internet
>    implies that the information should be distributed. "
>

---

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 18:37:39 -0500

>    requirements. The scale of the Internet implies that the information

The question is too broad, as stated. Some information must be shared 
(disclosed) to make routing work. Other information need not be 
shared. Some of the data that one might place in a routing repository 
falls into the latter category. That data might justifiably be 
considered private by an ISP.

Steve