Subject: [RPSEC] Issues with existing Cryptographic Protection Methods for Routing Protocols

From: "Bhatia, Manav \(Manav\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 07:30:11 +0530

Hi,

The routing protocols crypto issues draft was discussed in the RPSEC WG
some time back and we have now posted an updated version of the same. We
would be interested in the comments from the WG.

The URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-manral-rpsec-existing-crypto-0
4.txt

Routing protocols often use cryptographic mechanisms to authenticate
data being received from a neighboring router assuming that it has not
been modified in transit, and actually originated from the neighboring
router purporting to have originating the data.  Most of the
cryptographic mechanisms rely on hash algorithms applied to the data in
the routing protocol packet, which means the data is transported, in the
clear, along with the has signature based on the data itself.  These
mechanisms rely on the manual configuration of the keys used to seed, or
build, these hash based signatures.  This document outlines some of the
problems with manual keying of these cryptographic algorithms and some
attacks that the current routing protocols are vulnerable to despite
using the cryptographic authentication methods described for each one of
them.

Cheers,
Russ, Vishwas and Manav

_______________________________________________
RPSEC mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rpsec