Subject: [RRG] Traffic engineering

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 22:37:37 +0100

After reading all this talk about traffic engineering, I thought this  
group may be interested in the draft I'll be presenting in the IDR  
session:

	Title           : A BGP Inter-AS Cost Attribute
	Author(s)       : I. van Beijnum
	Filename        : draft-van-beijnum-idr-iac-00.txt
	Pages           : 6
	Date            : 2008-02-18

Although BGP implementations have extensive path selection
algorithms, in practice operators have trouble performing
satisfactory traffic engineering of incoming traffic based on BGP
attributes that are taken into account in the path selection
algorithm alone.  For this reason, many ASes deaggregate their
address range(s) into smaller blocks and announce these blocks
differently to different neighboring ASes in order to arrive at the
desired traffic flow.  This practice contributes to the growth of the
global routing table, which drives up capital expenditures for
networks engaging in inter-domain routing.  This memo introduces a
new inter-domain metric that supports finer-grained traffic
engineering than current BGP attributes, most notably, the AS path.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-van-beijnum-idr-iac-00.txt

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with the
word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg

---

From: Olivier Bonaventure <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 23:39:27 +0100

Iljitsch,

> group may be interested in the draft I'll be presenting in the IDR session:

The following drafts that will be discussed within the shim6 working 
group are also relevant for the discussion on traffic engineering form 
the viewpoint of multihomed sites in particular

   Title           : The case for an informed path selection service
      Author(s)       : O. Bonaventure, D. Saucez, B. Donnet
      Filename        : draft-bonaventure-informed-path-selection-00.txt

With today's peer-to-peer applications, more and more content is
available from multiple sources.  In tomorrow's Internet hosts will
have multiple paths to reach one destination host with the deployment
of dual-stack IPv4/IPv6 hosts, but also with new techniques such as
shim6 or other locator/identifier mechanisms being discussed within
the IRTF RRG.  All these hosts will need to rank paths in order to
select the best paths to reach a given destination/content.  In this
draft, we propose an informed path selection service that would be
queried by hosts and would rank paths based on policies and
performance metrics defined by the network operator to meet his
traffic engineering objectives.  A companion document describes a
protocol that implements this service.

      Title           : IDIPS : ISP-Driven Informed Path Selection
      Author(s)       : D. Saucez, et al.
      Filename        : draft-saucez-idips-00.txt

This draft describes a simple network-based protocol to facilitate
Path Selection and to improve traffic engineering capabilities in
multihomed corporate networks.  With this protocol, any network
device that requires to select a path among a list of different paths
asks a Traffic Engineering service called IDIPS (ISP-Driven Informed
Path Selection) to obtain an ordered list of the possible paths.  The
ordering is constructed according to policies and performance
requirements of both the host and network provider.

Olivier

-- 
http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be , Universite catholique de Louvain, Belgium