Subject: RE: [RRG] Renumbering...

From: "Fleischman, Eric" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 09:09:20 -0700

From: Tony Li [mailto:[email-masked]] 
>To clarify the issue at hand: we're interested in renumbering 
>of end-user sites and changes in the locator namespace.

Yes, Tony. I followed you there, and tried to address it when I said
that there is no business case for the large end user to renumber so it
just isn't going to happen. 

I fault the IETF (and RRG) for consistently failing to recognize some
exceedingly elementary economics: if you want to stay in business, then
you don't waste money on needless non-business expenses. Therefore, if
anybody is going to renumber, it will be an organization that has a
positive business case to do so, such as an ISP. 

Let's change topics slightly to talk a bit more about elementary
economics. End users pay ISPs for their Internet connectivity. It is
therefore the ISP's responsibility to deliver Internet connectivity. If
they can't, then they will go out of business. ISPs are therefore
motivated to eventually solve the Internet scaling problem -- whether
publicly or privately -- because they know that if they don't deliver
effective Internet connectivity, then the end users will use some other
ISP or, worse case, develop alternative marketplaces that exclude them.
Only a suicidal ISP would dare to suggest that a large end user renumber
as part of an ISP solution because that would negatively differentiate
themselves from their competitors and they would consequently lose
market share, perhaps insurmountably.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with the
word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg