Subject: Re: [RRG] Renumbering...

From: David Conrad <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 10:27:40 -0700

Dino,

On Aug 18, 2008, at 10:04 AM, Dino Farinacci wrote:
>> Only if they're using address space provided by the ISP they're  
>> leaving.  Hence the proliferation of PI allocation policies at all  
>> the RIRs.  We're well on our way to re-creating the swamp, only  
>> with the potential that it'll be vastly larger...
> I have been informed, that after 30 days, the SP reassigns.

Obviously, only if the address space is the SP's to reassign.  One of  
the arguments as to why IPv6 hasn't gotten more traction has been that  
the original allocation policies tried to limit IPv6 allocations to  
Internet service providers (specifically, to folks who would have "200  
end-site assignments to other organizations within 5 years"), thus  
forcing every non-ISP to obtain provider aggregatable (PA) addresses  
and be subject to renumbering should a change of ISP be desired.   
Since that time, due to pressure from the IPv6 lobby and enterprise  
network operators, _every_ RIR has either passed or is discussing  
liberalizing a PI allocation policy to allow end users to obtain  
address space directly from the RIR (see section 6.5.8 of http://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html 
  for ARIN's version).

As Eric notes, any attempt to revert back to policies that imply non- 
ISPs will have to renumber if they change ISPs will be a non-starter  
and will merely guarantee whatever technology is being proposed that  
has that effect (regardless of what other effects it might have) will  
be ignored.

> And if the disconnected site continues to use the reassigned space  
> locally as in RFC 1918 there is no harm.

Well, unless the folks who are using the address space locally want to  
communicate with folks who just got the address space assigned to them.

> But if they try to use the space globally, it won't work. And that  
> is in contract when the site signs up to do business with the SP.

Hence, the desirability of PI address space.

Regards,
-drc

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with the
word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg