Subject: RE: [RRG] Renumbering...

From: "Tony Li" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 11:47:19 -0700

Noel,

|Or is there some reason this situation is significantly 
|different from, say,
|.COM?

There's one significant difference, which is the initial condition.  As part
of the transition plan to LISP, a new site has effectively two choices: find
a mapping provider that supports an EID aggregate for their existing prefix
or renumber their site into their new mapping provider's EID.  

I see a few options: the new site can provide their own mapping service and
not aggregate, impacting the scalability of the mapping.  The new site can
find a provider who is covering their existing prefix.  This could be very
challenging if the prefix is part of the swamp, for example.  Also, if you
do find such a provider, you're already at a disadvantage negotiating with
them.  You would have to renumber unless you can strike a deal with them.
Effectively, they are a single source and can charge whatever they like, up
until their prospective clients choose to renumber.

The analogy of having a group of providers supporting .com is a good one.
If that could be worked out, that could conceivably create an open market
for mapping services.  However, please note that such a market would have to
be created for each and every mapping aggregate.  Unlike TLDs, I suspect
that we will need more top levels.  How many aggregates do we forsee?  1000?
Frankly, I'm skeptical that we will be able to create this market.

Regards,
Tony

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with the
word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg