Subject: [rrg] mapped bgp

From: Paul Francis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 07:24:40 -0400

Well, I know there are already too many proposals on the table, but here's
yet another---Mapped-BGP.

The idea here is to encompass the solution completely within BGP, in such a
way as to try to minimize changes to how BGP operates.  Abstract is below.

PF

-----Original Message-----
From: IETF I-D Submission Tool [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2008 9:08 PM
To: Paul Francis
Cc: [email-masked]; Hitesh Ballani
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-francis-mapped-bgp-design-00 

A new version of I-D, draft-francis-mapped-bgp-design-00.txt has been
successfuly submitted by Paul Francis and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-francis-mapped-bgp-design
Revision:	 00
Title:		 Mapped BGP Design
Creation_date:	 2008-10-26
WG ID:		 Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 30

Abstract:
This draft introduces Mapped-BGP, a routing protocol that uses BGP to
distributed tunnel endpoint-to-prefix mappings.  The goal of this draft are
to present preliminary concepts and get feedback.  It is not meant to be a
fully-formed proposal.  The goals of Mapped-BGP
are: 1) to reduce the processing required to run BGP, 2) to speed up
inter-domain convergence, 3) to improve the cross-ISP load balancing
capabilities of BGP, and where possible, 4) to enable forms of address
aggregation like geographical addressing (i.e. for IPv6).
Improved address aggregation is unlikely to be very useful for IPv4, because
most addresses have already been assigned.  This design takes the position
that Mapped BGP is useful even without better aggregation, because 1) FIB
size can be reduced through FIB suppression with Virtual Aggregation, and 2)
RIB size per se is not the growth bottleneck.

The IETF Secretariat.

_______________________________________________
rrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/rrg