Subject: Re: [RRG] Fwd: [Q] draft-farinacci-lisp

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 00:23:48 -0700

>> I have a question about draft-farinacci-lisp.
>> If there is more appropriate alias, please forward this e-mail.
>>
>> My question is..
>>
>> I think, the draft-farinacci-lisp is NOT a method to resolve IPv4
>> address depletion problem.
>>
>> Is my understanding is correct?

Well not directly but if you introduce another namespace, the EID  
namespace, the number of locator addresses allocated by ISPs to sites  
can be reduced. So the number of locator addresses goes down from the  
number of hosts plus router (router interfaces) addresses to the  
number of external connection points to the ISP.

If ISPs can addresses back from the their customers, they have an  
opportunity to redesign the aggregation boundaries for their blocks.

You will find that the number of EIDs allocated from the new EID  
namespace can also be sized for the existing size of a site, where  
previously they could have had multiple blocks from different power- 
of-2 blocks because of later subsequent requests.

So a locator/ID separation deployment can help clean-up some  
addressing issues.

Dino

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with the
word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg