Subject: Re: [RRG] GSE History

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 07:44:21 -0400 (EDT)

> From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>

Well, this isn't the Internet-history list, but there are a few early parts of
your timeline I'd like to clarify/expand on, before it becomes the accepted
history..

    > IEN-1 notes that the way the "TCP Identity" is constructed creates
    > issues with resilient multi-homing, mobility, et cetera.

IEN-1 didn't really have much impact; I don't think I'd even heard of it till
you uncovered it. (Perhaps that's because it was originally distributed only
on paper, to a very few people?) The thing that I think really started the
process was Jerry Saltzer's paper, later reprinted as RFC-1498. That made me
a big believer in separating location and identity, and I decided to
proselytize the idea inside the IETF (which I then did, with great vigour,
but to little immediate success - alas, I never cottoned onto 'provider
independence' as the thing that could really 'sell' it).

    > IETF ROAD activities ~18 years ago re-cover much of the same ground as
    > IEN-1.

Before (I think? I'm unclear on the exact timeline) ROAD, which didn't really
talk that much about separation of location/identity - it was more focussed on
address space depletion and routing - the place where I/L separation was
really discussed in the community was on the Big-Internet mailing list
(although I'm not really sure we had that term for it at that point).

    > Dave Clark sends email proposing to split the IPv6 address into 2
    > pieces

At one point I actually tried to track the 8/8 idea to its lair, to make sure
credit was given correctly, and a share of the credit for IPv6 8+8 also goes
to Bob Smart (who is the first person I found who had raised the idea, on the
SIPP mailing list, on 2 June, 1994) as well as to Dave Clark (who later
resuscitated the idea on the IPng list, on 11 January, 1995).

    > forgive me, if, in moments, it sometimes feels rather like we are
    > living in the movie "Ground Hog Day".

The question is, how many more times are we gonna have to watch it?

    > With apologies in advance for the sundry details that I omitted in the
    > interest of length .. and with good will towards all,

Understood.

	Noel

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with the
word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg