Subject: RE: [RRG] Renumbering...

From: "Tony Li" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 22:27:48 -0700

Hi Eliot,
 
|> My understanding is that the site must then change EIDs to the new
|> provider's aggregate.  This would seem to create a vendor 
|lock for the
|> mapping provider.
|
|It's not so clear.  It depends on where aggregation occurs.  

Well, unless there is some significant change, the ALT approach seemed to
suggest that there would be a single mapping provider advertising a specific
aggregate into the ALT topology.  Thus, I would assume that the aggregation
would occur at the mapping provider.

|Also, keep 
|in mind that the primary function of a mapping provider is to 
|provide a 
|stable EID prefix, so this sort of change should be extremely rare!!

I suspect that the primary function of the mapping provider will be to be
profitable.  ;-)  As long as it remains a for-profit service, it would seem
that it would create this issue and the size of the vendor lock created
would be directly proportional to the pain of renumbering the site.  This
suggests that the mapping provider could then raise rates so that they
charged just slightly less than the cost of renumbering and could then milk
the user base.

Regards,
Tony

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with the
word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg