Subject: [RRG] map-and-encaps and mobility management

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 00:25:51 -0700

During the meeting on Saturday, I raised the point of how mobility
management fits with a map-and-encaps scheme. It seems that mobility
management needs to consider (at least) the cases of:

 1) Mobile Nodes (MNs) move before any communications session
    are established
 2) Two MNs are communicating and one of them moves
 3) Two MNs are communicating and both nodes move

The specific point I raised on Saturday was whether the mapping
scheme could be updated on the granularity of node mobility. But,
that might not be practical for all mapping schemes, and would
only address 1) above. So, there is still the issue of mobility
tracking *after* the initial mapping is done.

One solution might be to co-locate a Mobile IP Home Agent in the
sites of the respective MNs. The mappings would remain unchanged,
and packets would be tunneled from the home agent to the locator
for the site where the MN currently resides.

Another solution might be to dynamically change the locators of
the tunnels established during the map-and-encaps using something
like MOBIKE - but MOBIKE might be just one facet of an integrated
solution.

I'm sure there may be other solutions too, but these are the
first two that come to mind.

Can we have some discussion on how map-and-encaps interacts
with mobility management?

Thanks - Fred
[email-masked]

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with the
word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg