Subject: Re: [RRG] RRG meeting

From: Tony Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 13:54:52 -0700

Hi Jordi,

> It seems to me a bad idea making it on Friday. May be you can  
> explain the
> reason for that ?

It was the best of all possible evils.  Given that we want an all-day  
session, our alternatives are pretty simple: before IETF or after  
IETF.  The Sunday before IETF has numerous IESG, IAB, IEPG, and  
tutorial meetings.  This leaves us with Saturday before or Friday  
after.  As we tried Saturday before and got some enormous push-back  
about that, we thought we should try the Friday afterwards.

> Against doing it on Friday, I see at least:
> 1) You pay for an extra hotel night
> 2) Have one day off (Saturday) in the middle of the "IETF" week
> 3) Being away for one extra day (with a useless day in the middle)

Perhaps I wasn't clear: we're scheduled for the Friday "after" IETF.   
Most people seem to leave IETF on Thursday or Friday.  Folks who are  
already leaving on Friday do not need an extra hotel night this way.   
There is no "day off" in the middle of IETF week this way.  Being  
away for one extra day is inevitable if we want to meet for a day.

> I've expressed many times that seems to me a very bad idea for IETF to
> arrange meetings (including Interim meetings) planned with less than 3
> months in advance. It makes a huge difference to book tickets with  
> less than
> 90 days, at least for those of us that need to pay the ticket from  
> his own
> pocket and/or are restricted to book low economy fares.

In fact, July 27th is more than 3 months from now, at least in my  
spatio-temporal non-accelerated reference frame.  ;-)  Given what  
happened last time, we are very sensitive to the lead time for the  
meeting and thus we are announcing the tentative time now, rather  
than wait for confirmation of the logistics.

Regards,
Tony

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with the
word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg