Subject: Re: [RRG] Renumbering...

From: Stephen Sprunk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 15:29:36 -0500

Scott Brim wrote:
> On 9/3/08 1:18 PM, Tony Li allegedly wrote:
>> If PI is available, then all users will tend to cling to it, avoiding any other possible solution.  Our entire job is to give them an alternative.
>>     
>
> My crystal ball leans differently.  I have trouble imagining the RIRs successfully telling everyone they are no longer giving out PI addresses, and that instead sites should convert all of their endpoints to using some new software ... especially if the proposed solution doesn't take away the burden of renumbering when they change providers.
>   

Why the need to renumber?  Just declare that all space formerly known as 
PI shall now be called EID -- and get the top ISPs to stop transiting 
any prefixes in those blocks, as designated by the RIRs.  It'd be nice 
to have a new top-level prefix for EID space, but that's not strictly 
necessary.

No new software, other than ITRs and ETRs, is necessary with the current 
schemes, and those could be transparently provided for PI/EID customers 
by their ISP(s) if necessary.

S

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with the
word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg