Subject: Re: [RRG] Renumbering...

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 21:09:32 +0200

On 25 aug 2008, at 17:56, Tony Li wrote:

> |Why would you assume this would be done on a commercial basis?

> It would seem unreasonable to expect that it would only be done on a
> volunteer basis.

The difficult part is running the service that powers everything. If  
designed properly, this can be distributed such that the load is  
spread over ISPs relative to their size. The political/business  
continuity issues are with the control, which I'm guessing many people  
will volunteer for. And although I'm highly critical of some aspects  
of RIR operation, I think they have three things that are important:  
they're capable, well funded and neutral.

> |Wouldn't the RIRs be natural candidates to do this?

> Not really.  They would be one obvious organization to participate,  
> but
> given the failure modes that this would create, it would seem that  
> the root
> mapping function should be on a set of organizations, with a  
> diversity of
> sites.  A more logical set of candidates would be the root  
> nameserver folks.

There is some overlap between the two groups.  :-)

When the time comes to do the design we can learn something from the  
DNS situation. For instance, we should definately avoid ugly hacks  
like inter-domain anycast and design things such that the amount of  
bogus queries is less than 98%.

Also, it's strange that a fixed, small set of people run instances of  
this service and people don't get to do that for themselves. Although  
if people would run their own DNS root service, the "real" root  
service would be all the zone transfers.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with the
word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg