Subject: [RRG] complexity metric

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 15:19:27 -0700

Hi folks-

I heard this paper this morning at NSDI and am forwarding it to this  
list in the hopes that it might provide help when comparing different  
algorithmic approaches.  YMMV.

--aaron

NetComplex: A Complexity Metric for Networked System Designs
Byung-Gon Chun, ICSI; Sylvia Ratnasamy, Intel Research Berkeley; Eddie  
Kohler, University of California, Los Angeles

Abstract
The systems and networking community treasures “simple” system  
designs, but our evaluation of system simplicity often relies more on  
intuition and qualitative discussion than rigorous quantitative  
metrics. In this paper, we develop a prototype metric that seeks to  
quantify the notion of algorithmic complexity in networked system  
design. We evaluate several networked system designs through the lens  
of our proposed complexity metric and demonstrate that our metric  
quantitatively assesses solutions in a manner compatible with  
informally articulated design intuition and anecdotal evidence such as  
real-world adoption.

http://www.usenix.org/events/nsdi08/tech/full_papers/chun/chun.pdf
--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with the
word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg