Subject: Re: [RRG] Renumbering...

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 09:39:38 +0200

Dino Farinacci wrote:
>> One of the topics that came up in Dublin during Lixia's talk was the
>> acceptability of renumbering.  How do folks feel about an architectural
>> solution requiring renumbering to retain scalability?
> 
> It will surely make new technology easier to deploy and scale better. 
> Will the bearer of the cost accept it? Well, it there is compelling 
> benefit, I think so. Do I think there is compelling benefits, again, I 
> think so.
> 
> And we think (the LISP crew) that single-homed sites that want to become 
> multi-homed sites will be willing to renumber. Will multi-homed sites 
> renumber for a loc/id split solution, I think it depends on how simple 
> it is to run the solution and hence provide the benefits we have talked 
> about before.

I think sites may accept renumbering if it benefits them (and not just
the common good). Renumbering to become multi-homed might be ok.

What I don't think a site would accept, is regular renumbering events.
Even renumbering to change or add a provider may be too much, just
witness the demand for IPv6 PI.

So, I think renumbering in order to deploy a new solution might be okay,
but not a solution that requires regular renumbering events.

Renumbering is pretty tricky. There are of course several documents on
this. One is
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chown-v6ops-renumber-thinkabout-04

Stig

> Now, the hard question is, will multi-homed sites who already have 
> renumbered with PI space, will they renumber again so if a PTR solution 
> is put in place, we can advertise less routes rather than more for 
> interworking purposes.
> 
> Dino
> 
> -- 
> to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with the
> word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
> archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with the
word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg