Subject: Re: [RRG] Fwd: Tunnel MTU

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 11:33:28 +1300

Fred,

...
>> The UDP port concerned has to be open in the firewall, since the
>> echo process is playing the role of a server. That's probably
>> less awkward than getting ICCMP through, but it still means
>> convincing the corporate or campus security people to allow
>> the port. I'm sure they'd like to know how the DoS threat is
>> mitigated...
> 
> But, it would be the same UDP port opened for the tunnel itself,
> i.e., the probing is in-band with ordinary tunneled data. Or,
> maybe I'm still missing the point...

Slightly, maybe, because I'm interested in the *general* problem
of viable e2e PMTUD, regardless of tunnels. If we can solve the
general case, tunnels just become like any other link as far
as PMTUD is concerned.

    Brian

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with the
word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg