Subject: [RRG] Loc / Id split

From: Peter Sherbin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 14:04:54 -0700 (PDT)

>From ietf-68/ram discussions loc/id split looks like the way people would want to
pursue. Assuming id = name, we have an opportunity to set a naming structure for
everything. Literally give a unique name to each and every thing we know. E.g. use
ASCII for a "bee" = "62:65:65" or "01100010 01100101 01100101".

Catalogs of name hierarchies exist for ages. Why do not formalize it once and for
all via a standard numbering convention.

Thus we will have ions of unique names. And than a few millions or billions of
locators/addresses. Combination Name + Locator = IPv6 source/destination descriptor.

IPv6 has enough room for names. If you think about it IPv6 designers were solving
naming problem rather than the locators' one.

Routing will not change other than a smaller table and removal of NAT. TE and
Multihoming suddenly become non-issues. 

Thanks,

Peter

____________________________________________________________________________________
Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate 
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.
http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396545367

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with the
word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg