Subject: Re: [RRG] Renumbering...

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:13:58 -0400

On 8/19/08 4:08 PM, Tony Li allegedly wrote:
>> As to the third, a distributed mapping functionality is 
>> fundamentally a whole different - and easier - kettle of fish from
>> a distributed path-selection computation. The latter is
>> (necessarily) a computation, and depending on how it's split up for
>> distribution, it can become quite painful. (The Destination Vector
>> approach, where the computations of the algorithm are themselves is
>> distributed, is the worst case.) Even the best cases are still far
>> more complex than the distribution of a mapping, though.
> 
> So then why are the ALT folks reusing distributed path-computation
> for distributing a mapping?

(Adding in your correction that this is about an index to mappings, not
the mappings themselves ...)

- This is a virtual topology, so the topology exactly follows
  addressing, and information is highly aggregated.  Churn is quickly
  damped.  The computation is immensely simplified.

- It allows mapping information to be distributed from sources that are
  directly connected with operational reality, at a time when that
  reality is happening

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with the
word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg