Subject: [RRG] Questions: Push/pull, ECMP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 13:19:20 EDT

Hello IRTF folks,
Somewhere it started: Push or pull model. Likewise, an older issue:  ECMP.
 
Though I have some idea what might it be (push/pull) or how it may be  done 
(ECMP algorithm),
I would appreciate very much if some one of the IRTF folks provided  the 
correct definition/solution
for these issues.
 
As you see, I picked some RAM-email where push/pull is adressed. Maybe,  if  
we all get a clear understanding then we may have an appropriate  technical 
discussion. Religion is for more important issues, imo.
 
Thanks in advance
Heiner

In einer eMail vom 09.05.2007 18:40:40 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt  
[email-masked]:

Eliot,

On May 9, 2007, at 9:13 AM, Eliot Lear wrote:
> I  feel like we've had this argument before.

Yep.  You and others  keep asserting that a pull-based mapping  
distribution model is a  "non-starter" because it "won't work".  I've  
been trying to get  from folks _concrete_ examples of applications  
that "won't work" in  the face of increased latencies on the order of  
10s or 100s of  milliseconds after a cache miss.  In response I get  
vague  handwaving about voice or video (I know from personal  
experience  that UDP-based NFS works fine in the face of an initial  
packet delay  of 10s of milliseconds) or descriptions about classes of   
applications that would appear to be degenerate cases and asymmetric   
routing that would likely have unpredictable performance   
characteristics with pull or push.

GIven the lack of data, it would  seem we've descended to the realm of  
religion, so I'll give it a  rest.

Rgds,
-drc

_______________________________________________
RAM  mailing  list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ram

Subject: Re: [RAM] The mapping problem: rendezvous points?
From: David Conrad <[email-masked]>
To: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 09:39:58 -0700
List-Id: Routing and Addressing Mailing List <ram.iab.org>

Eliot,

On May 9, 2007, at 9:13 AM, Eliot Lear wrote:
> I feel like we've had this argument before.

Yep.  You and others keep asserting that a pull-based mapping  
distribution model is a "non-starter" because it "won't work".  I've  
been trying to get from folks _concrete_ examples of applications  
that "won't work" in the face of increased latencies on the order of  
10s or 100s of milliseconds after a cache miss.  In response I get  
vague handwaving about voice or video (I know from personal  
experience that UDP-based NFS works fine in the face of an initial  
packet delay of 10s of milliseconds) or descriptions about classes of  
applications that would appear to be degenerate cases and asymmetric  
routing that would likely have unpredictable performance  
characteristics with pull or push.

GIven the lack of data, it would seem we've descended to the realm of  
religion, so I'll give it a rest.

Rgds,
-drc

_______________________________________________
RAM mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ram