Subject: Re: [RRG] Convergence - design-goals-01: future addressing systems

From: Robin Whittle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 16:36:03 +1100

I think the Design Goals should include the goal that all new
architectural elements be reasonably amenable to extension to
support new addressing systems.  The most obvious ones are:

  Map IPv6 MABs (micronets, EIDs etc.) so packets to these addresses
  can be tunneled to an ITR on an IPv4 address.

  Map IPv4 MABs (micronets, EIDs etc.) so packets to these addresses
  can be tunneled to an ITR on an IPv6 address.

The first might help with IPv6 introduction and the latter with
maintaining backwards compatibility with the IPv4 Internet, without
relying on a global IPv4 BGP system.

Whatever ITR-ETR system is built, it is bound to be extended -
probably for addressing systems and purposes we cannot anticipate.

I don't assume that IPv6 will be ubiquitously adopted.  Maybe in the
future, something else will be.

So the new protocols need to be able to cope with arbitrary
extensions for new functionality while minimising problems with
earlier ITR-ETR gear.

Another potential goal is that the new architecture be able to
support administrative and commercial arrangements which are
intended to do some mix of:

1 - Minimise "undesirable" (however defined) impact on the global
    system due to the actions of end-users or others.

2 - Use financial charging systems, or perhaps some other system
    of "limits with negative consequences", so that those whose
    actions lead to burdens on the global system will partially
    or fully pay for the costs they impose on others.

Maybe the IETF shouldn't be involved in designing financial and
administrative arrangements - but the architecture needs to enable
RIRs or however else runs the ITR-ETR system to make arrangements to
ensure the new architecture is used "well" (however defined) and
that costs are generally recovered.

This analogous to other "Commons" situations such as pollution
(sound, air, water) and greenhouse gasses.

 - Robin

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with the
word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg

---

From: Xu Xiaohu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 18:07:02 +0100

> -----邮件原件-----
> 发件人: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 代表 Robin Whittle
> 发送时间: 2007年12月7日 6:36
> 收件人: Routing Research Group list
> 主题: Re: [RRG] Convergence - design-goals-01: future addressing systems
> 
IMO, the Design Goals for a new Internet Routing and Addressing Architecture
should not explore so detailed issues, it should be more general so that it
will have a long life.
Best wishes,
Xiaohu XU