Subject: [rrg] A forever scalable solution is still required

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:28:39 EDT

Why is this scalability  problem ? A trivial answer: because we do user 
reachability dissemination (  everyone may add: but otherwise there were no 
internet). Non-trivial  answer:

Because we still depend on user reachability  dissemination ! Loc/Id-split is 
the right way to look at the issue. But by  providing also “location” 
similar to postal letters where both the receiver AND  its location are written on 
the envelope, we should make sure to get the same  benefit, i.e. the 
elimination of the scalability problem. LISP however does not  abolish the dissemination 
of user reachability info, it only replaces it by RLOC  reachability 
dissemination combined with EID-to-RLOC mapping dissemination. Just  old wine in new 
hoses. 
TARA however will enable forwarding to any  destination router without 
looking at the receiver’s IP address, i.e.  doesn’t  need the dissemination of  
user reachability info at all. 
I am thinking about a strategy such that TARA  could be incrementally 
deployed so that  the BGP-Table will  incrementally shrink until it becomes  
obsolete. 
Note, China transformed from communism to  capitalism. The revolutionary was, 
that it didn’t take a revolution. Likewise  BGP can be transformed from a 
non-scaling, topology-agnostic protocol to a  forever scaling, topology-aware 
protocol (there is no law which says only  link-state protocols can yield a 
topological graph :- )! 
Heiner

**************   
_______________________________________________
rrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/rrg