Subject: [RRG] Solving the Right Problem

From: Dan Jen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 18:34:16 -0700

Hi everyone, 

While responding to some criticisms of APT, I came upon an observation
that I would like to share with the list; many of the criticisms to
proposals coming out of the RRG have to do with a lack of additional
features that currently do not exist on the Internet.  Some examples: a
fast push system that can propogate mapping changes faster than bgp can
propogate routing changes, a lack of explicit mobility support, an
inability to detect router failures better than IGPs currently can,
etc.  

IMVHO, the RRG should aim for a practical solution to solving the
routing scalability problem that results in little to no degradation of
current Internet services.  Any additional features should be considered
extra, and should only be provided if they come at little to no extra
cost.  The tradeoffs and side effects that come with additions will only
complicate an already-complex problem space.  It would be prudent not to
concern ourselves with solving a whole lot of problems the Internet
faces; just the one we were set out to solve.  

Dan Jen

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with the
word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 12:44:25 +0300

Hello Dan

I fully agree! The messiness of the current argumentation seems to be
stemming from that that the advocates of various proposals are pressing
on their own favorite solutions. Irrespectively the problem they solve
and the cost of deployment.

Lixia's and Scott's taxonomy draft is a step towards good direction to
setting up a common basis and reference against which an assessment
could be done. But maybe this is not enough to set a common goal for the
proposals. 

Regards Hannu

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf 
>Of ext Dan Jen
>Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2008 04:34
>To: Routing Research Group
>Subject: [RRG] Solving the Right Problem
>
>Hi everyone, 
>
>While responding to some criticisms of APT, I came upon an 
>observation that I would like to share with the list; many of 
>the criticisms to proposals coming out of the RRG have to do 
>with a lack of additional features that currently do not exist 
>on the Internet.  Some examples: a fast push system that can 
>propogate mapping changes faster than bgp can propogate 
>routing changes, a lack of explicit mobility support, an 
>inability to detect router failures better than IGPs currently 
>can, etc.  
>
>IMVHO, the RRG should aim for a practical solution to solving 
>the routing scalability problem that results in little to no 
>degradation of current Internet services.  Any additional 
>features should be considered extra, and should only be 
>provided if they come at little to no extra cost.  The 
>tradeoffs and side effects that come with additions will only 
>complicate an already-complex problem space.  It would be 
>prudent not to concern ourselves with solving a whole lot of 
>problems the Internet faces; just the one we were set out to solve.  
>
>
>Dan Jen
>
>
>--