Subject: Huh? Was: Re: [RRG] Renumbering...

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 10:29:54 +0200

On 21 aug 2008, at 3:50, Yakov Rekhter wrote:

> 1. Do folks agree that to get to the point where 2^48 PI spaces
> would become a reality is likely to require *massive* deployment of
> v6-to-v4 NAT ?

The question doesn't make sense. If it starts raining an ocean per  
second, do we need fluorescent lighting?

NAT gives you stable internal addressing. This doesn't solve the  
renumbering problem, because the hard part is the view that external  
entities have of your addresses, which NAT can't hide.

PI gives you stable external as well as internal addressing. So you  
don't need NAT for the latter part.

On a really bad day I may imagine that every person on the world has  
their own PI block, but that's still only some 2^33, not 2^48. (Which  
is the difference between "a router so expensive that no single  
country will ever be able to afford it" and "a router running so hot  
that there's not enough sunlight hitting the earth to power it" = no  
real difference in practice, but still quite a few orders of magnitude.)

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with the
word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg