Subject: [RRG] Multi-homing & Changing IP address

From: Randall Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 16:09:49 -0700

Earlier, Bill Herrin wrote:
% The hitch is, it requires that all applications abandon the TCP and
% UDP protocols and APIs, in favor of an API where the app requests
% communication by name instead of by address and lets the host keep
% track of which addresses currently associate with that name.

There are several ways to change IP address while keeping a
TCP/UDP session alive, some already discussed within this RG,
that do NOT have the constraint that you outline above.

Purely as one (of several) example(s), SCTP's approach to multi-homing
is deployed now, works, and can be adopted into TCP (and/or UDP)
in a backwards-compatible, incrementally-deployable, manner.

Cheers,

Ran

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with the
word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg