Subject: Re: [RRG] draft-rja-ilnp-intro-01.txt

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 11:03:02 +0100

On 1 aug 2008, at 13:21, Scott Brim wrote:

>> basically, the FQDN is the real identifier while the "I" is only a  
>> fixed-size handle that conveniently fits in existing fields.

> IMHO they serve different purposes.  The FQDN is for locating it in  
> the first place.  Once you have found it, then the "I" is good as a  
> persistent node identifier for mobility and multipath.

But does this function require a field that is present in all packets,  
and updating our transports to make place for this field?

>> This mechanism doesn't address the situation where there is a  
>> failure, but the failure isn't directly visible to the host (or  
>> router) connecting to the link in question. Because of switches,  
>> failures on the actual link are often hidden. There can also be a  
>> problem reaching part of the internet through a link, so the fact  
>> that one destination is reachable doesn't mean that another  
>> destination is reachable. So the only way to know for sure if a  
>> destination is reachable is to have specific information in the  
>> routing system, or send packets and see if something comes back.

> I suggest you emulate Milla Jovovich: hold a ticket to paradise in  
> your hand and say: "Multipath".

Milla Jovovich should of course be an example to us all, but I don't  
see how what I said relates to multipath.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with the
word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg