Subject: Re: [rrg] and while we're at it, here's a view from the ground...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 07:29:20 EDT

In einer eMail vom 31.10.2008 09:03:21 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt  
[email-masked]:

>  Really, I would never have dared to offer a solution which depends  on
renumbering. 

Why not?
My answer is not new: because renumbering is not needed at all if  you 
enhanced BGP such that each router can aquire the view of a  well-sparsed internet 
topology (= combination of maps of different zooms) and do  forwarding based on 
location.  

It works even for much much larger networks !
Proof 1: Route from New York, 42nd Street to Sausolito,CA, Main  Street. You 
can do this while using maps with no Main Street information on them  prior 
entering Sausolito. Even more: By knowing the geographical location of  your 
destination as well as of any node of your currently available maps you can  
properly route although you don't even see the name Sausolito for the longest  
part of your travel.
Proof 2: Send a postal letter to some friend at any place in the  
world.Assumed, you and your friend live in a residential community with a  central place 
with a bin of letter boxes for delivery and one box for  posting.
The termination points are these boxes, not your name and not the name of  
your friend.
Even if either new roads resp new residential communities are going to  be 
built, there will never be a scalability problem!
 
As a matter of fact this RRG group has never understood what is the REAL  
cause of the problem nor how to exploit location REALLY.
 
Heiner

_______________________________________________
rrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/rrg

---

From: "Teco Boot" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:53:27 +0100

Do you have objections to solutions, based on renumbering, that others want
to use and that helps reducing DFZ FIB immediately?
Do you suggest running enhanced BGP on DSL termination routers?
Teco

renumbering. 

Why not?
My answer is not new: because renumbering is not needed at all if
you enhanced BGP such that each router can aquire the view of a well-sparsed
internet topology (= combination of maps of different zooms) and do
forwarding based on location.  
It works even for much much larger networks !
Proof 1: Route from New York, 42nd Street to Sausolito,CA, Main Street. You
can do this while using maps with no Main Street information on them prior
entering Sausolito. Even more: By knowing the geographical location of your
destination as well as of any node of your currently available maps you can
properly route although you don't even see the name Sausolito for the
longest part of your travel.
Proof 2: Send a postal letter to some friend at any place in the
world.Assumed, you and your friend live in a residential community with a
central place with a bin of letter boxes for delivery and one box for
posting.
The termination points are these boxes, not your name and not the name of
your friend.
Even if either new roads resp new residential communities are going to be
built, there will never be a scalability problem!

Heiner

---

From: "Darrel Lewis (darlewis)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 09:13:06 -0700

> As a matter of fact this RRG group has never understood what 
> is the REAL cause of the problem nor how to exploit location REALLY.
>  
> Heiner
>  

I guess its equally apparent you never understood that geo addressing requires fundamental changes to the economic make up of the commercial Internet.

-Darrel