Subject: [RRG] Maps of IPv4 BGP advertisements and ping responses

From: Robin Whittle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:01:18 +1000

There are detailed maps, month-by-month, 4096x4096 pixels, of the
IPv4 address space down to /24 resolution showing how much has been
advertised and in what prefix length:

  http://maps.measurement-factory.com/
  http://maps.measurement-factory.com/gallery/Routeviews/

The Information Sciences Institute of the University of Southern
California recently pinged every advertised IPv4 address - and
printed a map with one 600DPI pixel per IP address.

  http://www.isi.edu/ant/address/

They found about 103 million ping-responsive hosts, which is similar
to the 108 million figure I estimated by extrapolating my random
ping survey results from earlier this year.  My survey concentrated
on the widely different ping-response rates, and statistical
distribution of these, in prefixes of different lengths.

  http://www.firstpr.com.au/ip/host-density-per-prefix/

Of course there are difficulties relying on ping to estimate the
number of actively used addresses.  The true figure would be higher
- perhaps much higher - though a few networks have large numbers of
addresses responding to pings in order to attract and measure the
activities of malware.

I read about these two mapping projects via the Mapping-Cyberspace
discussion list: http://www.cybergeography.org/discussion.html

    - Robin

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with the
word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg