Subject: Re: [RRG] Consensus check: renumbering - 3 kinds of thing which might be renumbered

From: Robin Whittle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 12:18:28 +1000

Hi Tony,

While I haven't kept up with the discussion of recent days, I don't
agree with what I perceive as a blurring of important distinctions
in your response to Noel:

>| I think you need to be a little more specific in here,
>| specifically, in which namespaces? I think the answer will be
>| rather different for location and identity namespaces.
>| Did you want to modify your question to be "what amount of
>| renumbering _in the identification namespace_ can be required"?
>
> I don't think that end users will care one whit about which namespace
> they're renumbering.  The work's the same.  ;-)

Here is my understanding of the three types of numbering or
identification which are relevant to an end-user when map-encap or
some similarly functional Core-Edge Separation (CES) system is
implemented (Six/One Router or one of my new Forwarding schemes -
IPv4 ETR Address Forwarding or IPv6 Prefix Label Forwarding):

1 - Domain names - of complete domains, of hosts etc.

    These is no need to change these with the current system of BGP
    managed IP addresses, using PI or PA space.  Nor is there any
    need to change them if the end-user network is on the new kind
    of address space (I call it Scalable PI space - SPI) provided
    by the CES scheme.

2 - "Identifier" IP addresses - the address range of their network,
    the addresses of hosts, routers etc.  Likewise all appearences
    of these addresses elsewhere, such as in DNS zone files, in
    hard-coded IP addresses in applications, in IP addresses used
    by sessions currently in progress.

    There is no need to renumber these when the end-user network is
    using SPI space managed by the CES system.  (Nor is there with
    PI space, but a complete renumbering is required with PA space
    if a new ISP is used.)

3 - "Locator" IP addresses.  These are the one or more IP addresses
    of the ETRs used by the map-encap or forwarding scheme.  There
    is some kind of equivalent for Six/One Router.

    There is no equivalent to this with conventional approaches - PI
    or PA.

    Whenever the end-user needs to use a different ISP - or in Ivip
    when they select one ISP's ITR over another when redirecting
    traffic for TE or for multihoming service restoration - the
    end-user does need to choose a different IP address to the one
    currently used.

    However this is not reasonably described as "renumbering" since
    their entire network is unaffected by this change.  All it
    involves is a changed ETR address sent to the CES mapping
    system.

Note the Identifier and Locator IP addresses are not in separate
namespaces - they are both IP addresses within either the IPv4 or
the IPv6 namespace.  Some addresses can be used for SPI addresses
(identifiers) and others can be used for ETR addresses.

BTW, I found that the poll URL:

  http://www.doodle.ch/participation.html?pollId=3Dziu439pxxpcx33da

generated a "No such poll" response.

  - Robin

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with the
word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg

---

From: "Tony Li" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 00:48:55 -0700

Hi Robin,

|BTW, I found that the poll URL generated a "No such poll" response.

Indeed.  Mea culpa.  Sorry, I don't know how that got corrupted.  Here's the
correct poll:

http://www.doodle.ch/participation.html?pollId=ziu439pxxpcx33da

Tony