Subject: [RRG] Splitting the problem

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 11:49:49 +0200

We've been talking about renumbering and PI a lot. (Although not as  
much as our single subject line for the past weeks suggests. The  
subject line is easy to renumber!)

But PI is only part of the reason the routing table is growing. Let's  
see if we can make a more or less complete list:

1 organizations using PI space for provider independence
2 organizations using PI space or shooting holes in PA space for  
multihoming
3 organizations using PA space

Then, once people have addresses:

A deaggregation because of laziness (like still having /35s in the v6  
table)
B deaggregation for traffic engineering
C deaggregation for security

It looks like there are no easy answers for 1, or 3 for that matter,  
although 3 is small enough that we can ignore it. However, we do have  
some options to provide multihoming other than 2.

For A, pricing would be good (but how to do that?) and, in my opinion,  
the RIRs should change their policies to avoid growing blocks because  
this has a number of unpleasant side effects. (It's easier to simply  
add a second /17 rather than combine it with an existing /17 into a / 
16.) For B and C I see no reason why we can't improve on the current  
situation without requiring the whole internet to renumber or other  
non-starters, although we probably won't reach an ideal situation any  
time soon.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with the
word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg