Subject: [RRG] Jari's description of the proposed new architecture

From: Robin Whittle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 13:15:17 +1000

Recently I was trying to explain in a paragraph or so this whole
business of moderate improvements to BGP and a new architectural
system at the IP system (LISP, eFIT/APT, Ivip, TRRP etc.) and why we
needed it.  I couldn't figure out how to explain this briefly.

Jari Arko's message of 23 August "Re: [RRG] On the Transitionability
of LISP":

   http://psg.com/lists/rrg/2007/msg00284.html

has what I think is a really succinct description which might be
useful for RRG people trying to explain to other people what we are
working on.  Here is a slightly edited version:

   The routing system has to be as complex as is needed to
   get the job done, but not more complex than that.

   What majority of proposals on the table do is to introduce
   some modularity into the system.  The routing in the core
   of the Internet would be handled by a something resembling
   the current BGP system, but hopefully requiring smaller amount
   of data and less features.  The remaining part of the routing
   problem would be handled as an additional task in some
   subset of routers, e.g., on network edges.  For those routers
   complexity increases, but complexity and other pain is
   reduced on the rest.

  - Robin

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with the
word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg