Subject: Re: [RRG] Consensus check: renumbering - question lacks detail

From: Robin Whittle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 20:00:56 +1000

I am not responding to the poll:

  http://www.doodle.ch/participation.html?pollId=ziu439pxxpcx33da

because I think the question is far too simple.  It doesn't split up
the various networks according to their size or according to whether
they are on PI or PA addresses.  I would answer differently for the
various types, between none and once only.

There is a huge difference between renumbering a small network and a
large one - such as a university.

There is a big difference between a network currently on PA space
and one with its own PI space.

I wrote about these distinctions here:

  Renumbering once might be OK when converting to Scalable PI (SPI
  space)  http://psg.com/lists/rrg/2008/msg02355.html

I doubt that consensus on this question would be very useful,
because there is no clear statement of what sort of networks it
applies to, so people might have quite different ideas what the
question means.

Unfortunately, we have no common understanding of the networks out
there.  I am not even sure we agree that our scalable routing
solution needs to be highly attractive to them all, which is
something I believe.

    - Robin

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with the
word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg