Subject: RE: [RRG] draft-rja-ilnp-intro-01.txt

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 07:56:38 -0700

Tony,

>The ONLY thing that causes MTU issues is encapsulation approaches.

I'm not sure I would say there are no MTU issues for
non-encapsulating approaches using classical path MTU
discovery because:

  - routers in the Internet would have to return a PTB message
    for *every* packet dropped due to an MTU restriction (i.e.,
    rate limiting not permitted)
  - PTB messages could be generated by *any* node in the
    Internet to cause a denial of large MTU service
  - IPv6 PTB messages do not contain a nonce value (only the
    payload from the original packet) so site border routers
    would either have to maintain excessive state or simply
    allow large packets through unchecked, leading to more
    PTB messages from the Internet
  - Classical path MTU discovery *always* results in packet
    loss, which is especially problematic when the path MTU
    is marginal (< ~2KB)

Fred
[email-masked]

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with the
word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg