Subject: RE: [RRG] Renumbering...

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 08:31:09 -0400 (EDT)

> From: "Tony Li" <[email-masked]>

    > what happens when a site changes mapping provider?
    > ...
    > My understanding is that the site must then change EIDs to the new
    > provider's aggregate. This would seem to create a vendor lock for the
    > mapping provider.

Vendor lock-in for the mapping provider is definitely a legitimate thing to
be concerned about.

However, whether it is a problem or not all depends on how we structure the
provision of the mapping - and please note that the exact same 'vendor
lock-in' exists with DNS, e.g. with .COM, but so far we haven't had any major
problems there, because the business and technical structure we have set up
has a number of features (e.g. provision of copies of the mapping database to
an 'oversight' third party to guard against problems with the mapping
provider; agreement with the mapping provider on fixed pricing; etc).

So my sense is that yes, this is something we need to pay attention to, but
that it's not one of our bigger issues. I see other issues (e.g. the effort
involved in creating and deploying such a mapping system, and in populating
and maintaining entries, especially in a secure fashion) as more difficult.

Or is there some reason this situation is significantly different from, say,
.COM?

	Noel

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with the
word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg