Subject: Re: [RRG] Renumbering...

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 10:55:21 -0400

On 8/19/08 4:24 PM, Tony Li allegedly wrote:
> |When we talk about PI versus PA space we are really talking about
> |whether network addresses are owned or leased. We are also 
> |talking about
> |business dependencies. You can look up our public PI address space and
> |see its scope. What I want you to realize is that when we 
> |became part of
> |the Internet we owned our own addresses -- that is the model that we
> |bought into. Certain forces are trying to re-define that model, trying
> |to compel us to lease addresses and to become dependent upon outside
> |ISPs that are smaller than us. How dare they!! Who are they to try to
> |put our business at risk? Whether they realize it or not, the new model
> |that they are trying to foist upon us resembles blackmail -- 
> |switch ISPs
> |and it will cost you an arm and a leg. This is unacceptable. The PI
> |space is a non-negotiable fact. Any model that does not accept PI for
> |large end users for *both* IPv4 and IPv6 is inherently broken. 
> 
> 
> So you say.  Yet your 'business' model when extended simply puts the entire
> Internet at risk.  You'll pardon us if we do something else then.

That's the problem we all have, the rift between short term competitive
needs and the long term health of the Internet.  That's why renumbering
is a problem, and it's also why longer prefix injection will continue to
be a problem.

Renumbering is only going to become easy/automated when it is cheaper to
develop the tools to make it so than it is to just sit on the addresses
you're using right now.  We _could_ cause that to happen by deploying a
routing and addressing architecture that assumes easy renumbering.
After a while sites will develop the tools to make it so.  However, for
a while there will be extreme resistance.

When it comes to business issues, the total cost of the system isn't
relevant.  What's relevant is the cost to each individual institution,
and whether they are going to be willing to change individually.  They
won't move in order to save "the Internet" money.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with the
word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg