Subject: [rrg] A process note

From: "Tony Li" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 10:06:23 -0800

Dear Gentlebeings,

I've noticed a disturbing trend in our discussions that I'd like to call to
your attention.

I'm observing an increased tendency to debate through "truth by assertion".
This happens when someone baldly states "A is true" without rationale or
explanation.  This is not productive as it does not provide any mechanism to
convince the reader of the veracity of the statement.  Our goal is to
convince one another of the correctness of particular positions.  Simply
being repetitive or vocal doesn't foster that, and in fact can work to our
detriment by convincing our listeners that we have no rationale and simply
are out to filibuster.  That costs the speaker in respect.

A closely related falacy is "refutation by assertion".  This is typified by
the response "No, you're wrong.", again without explanation.

When these are combined, they can degenerate into pointless yes/no
exchanges.

Yes, I realize that these are common errors and examined over the long term,
probably no one is immune, yours truly included.  Can we please watch our
postings for these tactical errors?

Regards,
Tony

_______________________________________________
rrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/rrg