Subject: Re: [rrg] Fundamental objections to a host-based scalable routing solution

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 00:56:21 -0500 (EST)

> From: Robin Whittle <[email-masked]>

    > I think the best router-based core-edge separation solutions involve
    > the CE and PE routers - those routers at either side of the ISP /
    > end-user network division - with a mapping system and extra functions
    > ... They do not require any changes to the rest of the end-user
    > network's routers, or to its hosts.

Good point - this is indeed better than the absolute first-hop-router.

Actually, I've been thinking more or less along these lines anyway, for
exactly the reasons you list; I just used the phrase "first-hop router" more
to indicate that it was _close_ to the edge, as opposed to in some vague
'core' (e.g. at inter-ISP boundaries, or something like that), rather than to
indicate that it _had_ to be in the _very first_ router.

	Noel
_______________________________________________
rrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/rrg