Subject: Re: [rrg] NTP and first packet delivery

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 18:00:53 -0500 (EST)

> From: David Conrad <[email-masked]>

    > To be honest, this is all getting quite boring. It has been over 2
    > years since the AMS workshop and we're largely arguing about the same
    > things that were raised in that meeting. As far as I can tell, all
    > we've been able to confirm is that all the potential solutions suck in
    > some way and that they can't/won't be deployed operationally because of
    > one particular sacred cow or another.

I think this is a manifestation of the fact that 'the Internet community' is
now just too large to make radical changes - because you can't get that many
people to agree on radical change. (The only changes you _can_ get people to
agree on, such as a few more address bits in an obsolete architecture, are
basically useless, because they are, almost by definition, not radical.)

Change, when it comes, will come the same way change came when TCP/IP came
along and turned the world upside down - a small group of people will create
something new that adds value _for that small group_, and they'll start
deploying it along the edges of the existing elephant (circuit-switched voice
networks, back then), and it will snowball.

	Noel
_______________________________________________
rrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/rrg