Subject: [rrg] CALL FOR BOOK CHAPTERS: Solutions for Sustaining Scalability in Internet Growth

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 17:45:17 +0100

CALL FOR CHAPTER PROPOSALS
          Solutions for Sustaining Scalability in Internet Growth
                 A book edited by M. Boucadair and D. Binet
       Contact: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>; [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
                           France Telecom, France
            To be published by IGI Global: http://bit.ly/zYWq8y

INTRODUCTION

   Simplicity, flexibility, and extensibility were the main
   characteristics of the Internet architecture but unfortunately these
   design principles are not the actual characteristics of the deployed
   Internet.  More precisely, the Internet is suffering from a wide
   range of complications which may impact its evolution.  Some of the
   following issues alter the growth of Internet while other issues
   induce more complexity to introduce innovative services at large
   scale.  Examples illustrating encountered complications include:
   o  IPv4 address shortage
   o  Emergence of middleboxes such as CGNs (Carrier Grade NATs),
      firewalls, CDNs and DPI (Deep Packet Inspection)
   o  Inability to extend or upgrade protocols which are part of
      Internet foundations such as IP and TCP
   o  Inability to introduce new transport protocols at large
   o  Restriction of reachability to some protocols: only TCP/UDP, and
      in some cases only HTTP, are accepted.
   o  Brokenness of bi-directional communications because reachability
      is not symmetric due to the presence of NAT and tunnels (e.g., If
      "A" can reach "B", this does not mean "B" can reach "A").  The
      reachability asymmetry is now part of the "new" characteristics of
      Internet just like path asymmetry.  Applications should be
      designed to live this new constraint-
   o  Brokenness of applications which make wrong assumptions based on
      the IP address (e.g., Locality, Geoproximity, etc.)
   o  Increase of routing and forwarding tables - Instability of core
      routing tables induced by few edge networks
   o  Lack of deterministic tools to achieve (inter-domain) inbound
      traffic engineering: Current practices rely on injecting more
      specific routes, which exacerbates the growth of inter-domain
      routing table, or by prepending AS number technique for multi-
      homed networks, which is not deterministic since it depends on
      remote ASes in the path and their enforced policies.
   o  Lack of efficient means to support prefix portability for multi-
      homed or re-homed networks
   o  Prefix hijacking
   o  Rapid shuffling of prefixes
   o  Unbalanced cost and benefit - Development of VPN services in
      business and mobile environments

   It is commonly agreed the continuous increase of routing and
   forwarding tables is a sensitive issue which may question the growth
   of the overall Internet.  Some technical practices, such as multi-
   homing using Provider Independent (PI) prefixes and shrinking
   advertised prefixes to support advanced inbound traffic engineering
   policies, exacerbate the increase of inter-domain routing tables.
   Designing a scalable, robust, predictable, and stable routing system
   to sustain the growth of the Internet should be seriously tackled by
   Internet actors (including IETF, regulatory bodies and IP
   Connectivity Providers).  Particularly, IP Connectivity Providers
   should undertake concrete actions to anticipate the potential failure
   of the deployed Internet routing architecture.  Because the Internet
   is de-centralized, introducing new tools won't be shipped overnight.
   To be successful, this requires the involvement and coordination of
   several actors.  Consequently, deploying these complementary tools
   may take a long time before being adopted at large, but it should not
   be considered as a pretext to delay introducing the proposed new
   schemes, and to cease investigating efficient solutions.  If no
   particular action is conducted to mitigate issues encountered by the
   Internet routing architecture, serious risks for an emerging,
   fragmented Internet with non-global reachability will be faced.
   Routers have to process more and more information and the growth of
   routing and forwarding tables to be managed may not be satisfied by
   router technology evolution.  Furthermore, such routing capabilities
   requirements dramatically impact routers' power consumption.

   Solving all the aforementioned complications can not be easily
   achieved because of the Internet's anarchical nature (there is no
   central entity controlling and managing the Internet).  Nevertheless,
   some of these problems can be mitigated owing to an architectural re-
   design, the deployment of new protocols, and the enforcement of
   appropriate operational guidelines.

OBJECTIVE OF THE BOOK

   This book aims to offer a comprehensive overview on the recent
   advances in exploring viable solutions for expanding the scalability
   limits of the Internet and to mitigate encountered issues.  Towards
   this end, the book solicits new ideas on relevant techniques in
   management, control, and data planes for deploying a scalable and
   robust Future Internet.

RECOMMENDED TOPICS INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO, THE FOLLOWING:

   o  Issues with current Internet architecture
   o  Hurdles and barriers for introducing innovative services over the
      Internet
   o  Issues induced by massive deployment of middleboxes and Carrier
      Grade NAT
   o  Impact of IPv6 introduction strategies on routing architecture
      design
   o  New routing and forwarding architecture proposals
   o  Solutions review and analysis (e.g., LISP, IRON, hIPv4, Ivip,
      ILNP)
   o  Optimization studies for Core Edge Separation solutions
   o  Solutions for Core Edge Separation Mapping System
   o  Multi-homing
   o  Dynamic and flexible renumbering
   o  Inter-domain inbound traffic engineering techniques
   o  Prefix portability
   o  Mobility and impact on routing table (e.g., how LISP and/or Ivip
      can be used for mobility)
   o  Architecture proposals for the design of nodes involved in core
      networks owing to the use of OPS (Optical Packet Switching), OBS
      (Optical Burst Switching), etc.
   o  Solution proposals to reduce power consumption in edge and core
      networks
   o  Solutions to offload routing engine from routers to dedicated
      nodes
   o  Proposals for compact routing
   o  Review of Inter-domain route aggregation alternatives to the
      prefix-based schemes
   o  Interconnection agreements and interfaces
   o  Fixed Mobile Convergence and routing issues
   o  Impacts of CDNs deployment on routing schemes
   o  Deployment and emergence of promising services (e.g., M2M, Mobile
      Data) and new architectures (e.g., Cloud and virtualization)
   o  Internet Business Models

SUBMISSION PROCEDURE

   You are invited to submit to the editors a 2-pages extended abstract
   on your proposed chapter.  Full manuscripts will be invited upon the
   acceptance decision based on the initial proposals.  Second round of
   review will be performed based on the full manuscripts before their
   final versions are produced for publishing.  All submitted chapters
   will be reviewed on a double-blind review basis.  Contributors may
   also be requested to serve as reviewers for this project.  The
   initial extended abstract should contain the following information:

   - Title
   - Full list of authors with affiliations and contact information
   - Basic description on the problem(s) to be tackled
   - Main contributions from the work

   The first author of each accepted book chapter will get one free copy
   of the published book.

IMPORTANT DATES

   April 30, 2012:     Submission of initial extended abstract
   May 31, 2012:       Notification of acceptance
   August 31, 2012:    Submission of full manuscript
   September 30, 2012: Review results to authors
   October 30, 2012:   Revised chapter submission
   November 15, 2012:  Final acceptance notifications