Subject: [Rserpool] ASAP Data.Received

From: "Gradischnig, Klaus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 14:41:18 -0600

A quick search of the archives did not come up with an answer to the
following question, so I'd appreciate some clarification:

draft-xie-rserpool-asap-01.txt, 2.1.6, states:

  A) If the name translation local cache is implemented at the receiver's
     ASAP layer, a reverse mapping from the sender's IP address to the
     endpoint name should be performed and if the mapping is 
     successful, the sender's ASAP endpoint handle should be
     constructed and passed in the senderAddress field. 

Now, if I understood the draft correctly, an ASAP node can host can host
multiple ASAP endpoints. So, looking up a sender's IP address can result in
multiple names which is suboptimal, as the sender, if it is part of a pool,
(probably?) will have sent this message under a particular pool-identity.
If it is or can be important to know the name of the sender, then it should
be resolved uniquely (using perhaps the SCTP port?), if not, then there
seems to be no reason to do it at all.
Also, in the former case, if the name is not in the cache, should not an
attempt be made to receive it (eventually) from an ENRP server (requiring
new ASAP messages)?  

Cheers,

Klaus

Klaus D. Gradischnig
NeuStar, Inc.
+1 202 533 2815

_______________________________________________
rserpool mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rserpool