Subject: [Rserpool] cache.populate.request

From: Manuel Hugo Angelina Rodriguez EEM/TD/LNB <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 12:08:51 +0200

Hi,

	about the cache.populate.request ASAP primitive, wouldn't it be
necessary a cache.populate.response primitive?

	Anyway, I don't see the point in an ASAP-user having to be aware
of asking ASAP to "populate" its cache. Wouldn't it be cleaner if
a timer is set for ASAP telling it the periodicity to re-populate
its cache? This way an ASAP user can work without taking care of
how ASAP is internally working... though maybe I'm wrong, and
there are different reasons for this primitive to exist.

Saludos,
	hugo.

---

From: Randall Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 11:29:21 -0500

Hugo:

An answer and a comment :)

> necessary a cache.populate.response primitive?

Yes, this is really a primitive and I will note that for the next pass
of the document...

> there are different reasons for this primitive to exist.

ASAP already has a method for doing this without a timer. It uses
its cache and always checks if it is old, if so it does a repopulate
automatically. Now the reason we added the primitive is for two fold:

1) Some specific applications wanted more control of cache updates.

2) Some specific applications wanted to be able to get the named
   list back from the asap layer so that the application would
   know all of the candidates..

Now (2) was the main driver and (1) was a side effect that the
applications liked and used. Both are for specific applications
that I can't go into since I don't work at Mot anymore :)

I think it is useful to have this primitive and adds some
flexibility on the part of the application...

R

-- 
Randall R. Stewart
[email-masked] 815-342-5222 (cell phone)

_______________________________________________
rserpool mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rserpool