Subject: RE: [Rserpool] ENRP server channel

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 09:28:48 +0300

Qiaobing,

> In ENRP, PEER_PRESENCE can be sent in different ways: point-to-point,
> multicast, or "groupcast" (i.e., sending a separate copy to 
> each member of a known group). 

Have you given anythought to using ANYCAST for this as well?
I've been in the IPv6 sandbox for a while & have been thinking
about how to do this. 

Itojun has a good draft on anycast issues - 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-ipv6-anycast-analysis-
00.txt
except that SCTP should have a section - I'm working up text for it.

best regards,
John

_______________________________________________
rserpool mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rserpool

---

From: Qiaobing Xie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 11:10:26 -0500

John,

I agree. Anycast is definitely another alternative (and perhaps a
better) way of doing it. Like multicast, anycast is not guaranteed to be
available in all the place (e.g., local router may not have enabled it).
Therefore we need to work out a procedure in RSERPOOL on how to probe
the local network.

-Qiaobing