Subject: [Rserpool] [ASAP] Question on Pool Element handles

From: Karl Knutson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 18:16:17 -0500 (CDT)

The PE handle is fully described in ASAP section 4.5.3 in this way:

"The pool element handle should contain the name and the primary
destination transport address of the destination PE."

The PE handle is (or can be) returned from the data.send primitive.

Question: 

Where does the data.send primitive get the handle?

In the PE Parameter, which is presumably what both the namespace and
any putative cache would refer to, there is no "Name" entry for a PE
and no transport address is explicitly designated as primary.

Since a PE could be fully identified by a pool name and a SCTP
transport address (IP address and SCTP port), I think that the
description of the PE handle should be changed to:

"The pool element handle should contain the pool name and a
destination transport address of the destination PE."

In fact, since the PE handle here lives entirely in the PU (which is
what would be using data.send), it would merely have to be some
identifier guaranteed to be unique to a PE.  A better layering choice
would be a pool name coupled with an SCTP 'association id' (see ASAP
section 4.8.1-3).  

Karl
--
Karl O. Knutson                  
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
+1.847.372.6629 (cell)

_______________________________________________
rserpool mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rserpool

---

From: Randall Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 08:14:53 -0500

> would be a pool name coupled with an SCTP 'association id' (see ASAP

Karl:

Good point.. it really does not matter if it is the primary address
or an alternate. And the association id would also work. Note that
the wording here is "should" not "SHOULD". I have change this
to say:

"
    The Pool Element handle should contain the poolName and the a
    destination transport address of the destination PE or the
    poolName and the SCTP 'association id'.

"

which I think corrects the problem and allows the association id
to be used as well..

R

-- 
Randall R. Stewart
[email-masked] 815-342-5222 (cell phone)