Subject: [Rserpool] Short summary of IETF #55 WG meeting

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 13:13:17 -0600

Here is the short summary sent to the Area Directors.  More detailed minutes will follow.  We had a productive meeting.

Comments?  Questions?

-- maureen

Reliable Server Pooling WG (rserpool)

Monday, November 18 at 1530-1730
=================================

co-CHAIRs: Maureen Stillman <[email-masked]>
	   Lyndon Ong <[email-masked]> 

Approximately 30 people attended this meeting.  

We discussed the services document draft-conrad-rserpool-service-02.  
This describes the different services that rserpool can offer to
the application.  There are currently eight services defined and some new
services being worked on.  It has been updated to allow TCP or SCTP for PU
communication with the ENRP server and any transport protocol for the
application i.e. PU-PE transport.  Service descriptions may need to be
further refined on the mailing list.  The services document was accepted as
a Rserpool WG item.

We discussed the TCP mapping document draft-conrad-rserpool-tcpmapping-01.
This document defines a shim layer over TCP which provides similar
functionality to SCTP (esp. added reliability), allowing TCP to be used for
transport.  We need to determine an initialization sequence and add ACKs for
this, and we need to define an encapsulation header for messages being
transmitted. The TCP mapping document was accepted as a Rserpool WG item.

We discussed the Rserpool architecture draft-ietf-rserpool-arch-03.txt.
Control channel and data channel need to be clearly defined in terms of what
messages are sent on each channel associated with each service.  Further
discussion will continue on the list.

We discussed issues concerning business cards and state sharing information
in connection with ASAP.  Work on the protocol is ongoing.

We discussed issues concerning multicast and security in ENRP.  Three
alternatives can be considered -- use multicast at your own risk, make
multicast secure or abandon multicast.  Also, we need to investigate a mixed
network multicast and unicast.  Further discussion will follow on the
mailing list.

The security threat document draft-stillman-rserpool-threats-02 has been on
hold for the last six months while Rserpool experienced several significant
protocol changes.  We need to reexamine the document in light of recent
changes to see if any updates are required.  Also,  we need to revisit the
security architecture for Rserpool.  This task will be performed by the
Rserpool security design team.  The security threat document was accepted as
a Rserpool WG item.

We had a discussion with the members of the IPFix (IP Flow Information
Export) WG concerning their possible use of Reliable Server Pooling.  They
are working on a standard to export router flow information in a standard
way.  The exporter sends information to one or more collectors.  It is these
collectors that could form a reliable server pool.  We investigated the
possibility of adding a new service to Reliable Server Pooling in order to
meet their requirements.  Further discussions will follow.
_______________________________________________
rserpool mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rserpool

---

From: Peter Lei <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 16:11:33 -0600

comments below...

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Here is the short summary sent to the Area Directors.  More detailed minutes
> will follow.  We had a productive meeting.
> 
> Comments?  Questions?
> 
> -- maureen
> 

[snip]

> transmitted. The TCP mapping document was accepted as a Rserpool WG item.

Sorry if the presentation wasn't clear-- the TCP mapping is a shim layer
that provides an SCTP-like encapuslation/framing header; i.e. it doesn't
provide any added reliability (over what TCP provides), nor require an
additional encapuslation header to the one defined in the draft.

thanks,
--peter

---

From: Peter Lei <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 16:11:33 -0600

comments below...

[snip]

thanks,
--peter