Subject: [Rserpool] Non-unique ENRP identifier?

From: Thomas Dreibholz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:08:55 +0200

Hi all,

section 4.2.2 of the ENRP draft defines that the ENRP identifier must be "as 
unique as possible in the operational scope" and recommends a random number. 
But what happens when two nameservers choose the same number? Although the 
probability for choosing the same random 32-bit numbers is low (an attacker 
may increase it), this may happen. And in this case, it will cause at least 
severe problems for the takeover procedure. If one of the equal-numbered NSs 
fails, the other one will answer a PEER_INIT_TAKEOVER with a PEER_PRESENCE 
and therefore abort the takeover.

Best regards
- -- 
=======================================================================
 Dipl.-Inform. Thomas Dreibholz

 University of Essen,                            Room ES210
 Inst. for Experimental Mathematics              Ellernstraße 29
 Computer Networking Technology Group            D-45326 Essen/Germany
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 E-Mail:     [email-masked]
 Homepage:   http://www.exp-math.uni-essen.de/~dreibh
=======================================================================

_______________________________________________
rserpool mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rserpool