Subject: [Rserpool] FW: Reliable Server Pooling (Rserpool) minutes IETF #61

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 15:00:08 -0600

Any comments?

-- Maureen

Reliable Server Pooling (Rserpool) minutes IETF #61

This meeting was attended by approximately 35 people.

The Rserpool architecture document was discussed.  Changes in
terminology will be added to the document.  These changes are to clarify
the architecture and make it easier for the reader to understand
Rserpool.
The document contains several examples of applications of Rserpool.  We
are interested in adding a load balancing example due to the recent work
of the design team in load balancing.  Due to these changes we will
reissue the document and perform another last call.

The Rserpool policy document was recently made a WG item.  It describes
a collection of optional pool policies.  One recent change to the
document is that it allows two modes of operation.  Either the ENRP
server can determine the next address or the PU can be given a list of
IP addresses from which it selects an address.  This change was debated
and will be brought to the list.  

The ASAP and ENRP protocols have been stable for a long time.
Currently, changes have been suggested on the mailing list from people
who are implementing Rserpool.  Several changes have been incorporated
into both protocols.  The authors will update the terminology in the
protocol documents to match the architecture document.  We solicit and
encourage more implementation feedback.

The load balancing design team has been meeting for two months and has
made good progress.  We are working with load balancing vendors to
understand their requirements.  Based on requirements, our goal is to
identify changes to the Rserpool protocol and examine the advantages and
disadvantages of several approaches.  The design team is working on an
internet draft to reflect load balancing requirements.  This will be
released after IETF #61 for review and comment.  The design team will
continue to meet.

An internet draft on high availability and Rserpool was discussed.  The
IPR on this work needs to be clarified before the WG can make a
determination about making it a WG item.  

The final talk was a discussion of Rserpool socket APIs.  There is a
draft not yet released with several authors.  An overview of the
functions was presented.  The goal would be for this document to become
an informational RFC.  The draft will be sent to the list for review
before deciding on its WG status.

-- Maureen

_______________________________________________
rserpool mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rserpool