Subject: [Rserpool] Length of the Policy Type field

From: Thomas Dreibholz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 18:26:38 +0100

Hi!

According to the policies draft, the size of the policy type identifier is 8 
bits. However, there are already 16 policies implemented by the rsplib 
prototype implementation (see 
http://tdrwww.exp-math.uni-essen.de/dreibholz/rserpool/) and it can be 
expected that new applications require additional policies. Since the Policy 
Parameters for each of the defined policies includes 24 reserved (i.e. 
unused) bits after the policy type, what about extending the Policy Type to 
32 bits? While this would not increase the message sizes, it would give 
implementers and users sufficient space for own extensions. Furthermore, I 
would suggest to split the policy type space into a reserved part 
for "standardized" policies (managed by the IANA) and a non-standard user 
part, e.g. 0x00000000 to 0x7fffffff for registered policies and the rest for 
user-defined ones.

Best regards
-- 
=======================================================================
 Dipl.-Inform. Thomas Dreibholz

 University of Duisburg-Essen,                   Room ES210
 Inst. for Experimental Mathematics              Ellernstraße 29
 Computer Networking Technology Group            D-45326 Essen/Germany
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 E-Mail:     [email-masked]
 Homepage:   http://www.exp-math.uni-essen.de/~dreibh
=======================================================================
_______________________________________________
rserpool mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rserpool

---

From: Qiaobing Xie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 13:35:51 -0600

Thomas,

That sounds like a good idea to me.

regards,
-Qiaobing

Thomas Dreibholz wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>