Subject: [RSN] R2LN and building automation

From: "James F. Butler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 14:52:21 -0500

JP and everyone,

I would like to express my support for the R2LN effort.

In the commercial building controls industry, wireless communication is
a very hot topic.  Major manufacturers are actively marketing control
products and systems that support wireless communication (see for
example http://www.us.sbt.siemens.com/bau/products/Wireless/default.asp
and
http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/publish/us/en/products/building_efficienc
y/products/control_systems/metasys/wireless_building.html).  At present
Zigbee seems to be the most popular "open" technology for wireless
field-level networks, but I believe that IP-based wireless solutions
that meet the requirements of HVAC control and lighting control would be
welcomed by the building controls industry.

- Jim Butler

  Cimetrics Inc.

_______________________________________________
RSN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rsn

---

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 23:28:02 -0800

Thanks Jim, Very useful feed-back.

From: "James F. Butler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 14:52:21 -0500
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Conversation: R2LN and building automation
Subject: R2LN and building automation

JP and everyone,

In the commercial building controls industry, wireless communication is a
very hot topic.  Major manufacturers are actively marketing control products
and systems that support wireless communication (see for example
http://www.us.sbt.siemens.com/bau/products/Wireless/default.asp and
http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/publish/us/en/products/building_efficiency/pr
oducts/control_systems/metasys/wireless_building.html).  At present Zigbee
seems to be the most popular ³open² technology for wireless field-level
networks, but I believe that IP-based wireless solutions that meet the
requirements of HVAC control and lighting control would be welcomed by the
building controls industry.
 
- Jim Butler
  Cimetrics Inc.

---

From: Geoff Mulligan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 01:03:08 -0700

JP,
  I think that the ROLL WG is critically necessary to look at the issues
surrounding routing over precisely the type of networks that 6lowpan
anticipates using/building.

I'll be at the BOF on Thursday and I support us moving forward with this
working group.

	geoff

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 23:28 -0800, JP Vasseur wrote:
> ______________________________________________________________________
> In the commercial building controls industry, wireless communication
> is a very hot topic.  Major manufacturers are actively marketing
> control products and systems that support wireless communication (see
> for example
> http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/publish/us/en/products/building_efficiency/products/control_systems/metasys/wireless_building.html).  At present Zigbee seems to be the most popular “open” technology for wireless field-level networks, but I believe that IP-based wireless solutions that meet the requirements of HVAC control and lighting control would be welcomed by the building controls industry.
>  
> - Jim Butler
>   Cimetrics Inc.
>

---

From: "Eunsook \"Eunah\" Kim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 10:24:26 +0900

Hi,

> anticipates using/building.

I second that!

> I'll be at the BOF on Thursday and I support us moving forward with this

I will be there too. :)

-eunah