Subject: Clarification needed in RFC 2205

From: Karthikeyan Nathillvar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 23:58:20 -0500

hi
      In section 3.1.3  following paragraph is given.
       " Each RSVP-capable node along the path(s) captures a Path
         message and processes it to create path state for the sender
         defined by the SENDER_TEMPLATE and SESSION objects.  Any
         POLICY_DATA, SENDER_TSPEC, and ADSPEC objects are also saved in
         the path state.  If an error is encountered while processing a
         Path message, a PathErr message is sent to the originating
         sender of the Path message." 

     how is it possible for the intermediate nodes to send path messages
periodically??.. i am totally confused by this statement.

Thanking you in advance,
Karthikeyan Nathillvar

Address:
------
Karthikeyan Nathillvar,
Team Niehaus Graduate Research Assistant,
ITTC, University of Kansas,
245 E, Nichols Hall,
2291 Irving Hill Road,
Lawrence.
Kansas - 66044
e-Mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 16:28:48 GMT

*>       In section 3.1.3  following paragraph is given.
  *>        " Each RSVP-capable node along the path(s) captures a Path
  *>          message and processes it to create path state for the sender
  *>          defined by the SENDER_TEMPLATE and SESSION objects.  Any
  *>          POLICY_DATA, SENDER_TSPEC, and ADSPEC objects are also saved in
  *>          the path state.  If an error is encountered while processing a
  *>          Path message, a PathErr message is sent to the originating
  *>          sender of the Path message." 
  *> 
  *>      how is it possible for the intermediate nodes to send path messages
  *> periodically??.. i am totally confused by this statement.
  *> 

Your question is confusing, since it seems to bear no obvious relation
to the qouted paragraph.  Therefore, I don't know what question I
should be answering, but the direct answer to your question as posed
would be: it it not only possible, it is fundamental.  Once path state
is installed in a particular node, the node forwards it, and thereafter
the node periodically resends the same path state as refresh messages.
Installation of state happens end-to-end, but refreshing is a hop/hop
activity.

Bob Braden

  *> Thanking you in advance,
  *> Karthikeyan Nathillvar
  *> 
  *> Address:
  *> ------
  *> Karthikeyan Nathillvar,
  *> Team Niehaus Graduate Research Assistant,
  *> ITTC, University of Kansas,
  *> 245 E, Nichols Hall,
  *> 2291 Irving Hill Road,
  *> Lawrence.
  *> Kansas - 66044
  *> e-Mail: [email-masked]
  *> 
  *>