Subject: Protocol Action: RSVP Cryptographic Authentication-New Message Type to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 13:09:48 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'RSVP Cryptographic
Authentication-New Message Type' <draft-ietf-rsvp-fix-iana-00.txt> as a
Proposed Standard.  This document is the product of the Resource
Reservation Setup Protocol Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are
Allison Mankin and Scott Bradner.

Technical Summary
 
  RFC 2747 "RSVP Cryptographic Authentication" assigns RSVP Message Type 12
  to an Integrity Response message, while the Internet Draft "RSVP Refresh
  Overhead Reduction Extensions" assigns the same value to a Bundle message.
  This memo resolves the conflict over RSVP Message Type 12 by assigning a
  different value to the Message Type of the Integrity Response Message in
  RFC 2747.  It is believed that the protocol defined by the Internet Draft
  entered use in the field before the RFC's publication and before the
  conflicting Message Type was noticed and that it may be easier to install
  new software in environments that have deployed the Integrity object than
  in those that have deployed the refresh reduction extension.

  To simplify possible interoperability problems caused by this change, a new
  value is assigned to the Message Type of RFC 2747's Challenge message, to
  which the Integrity Response message is a reply.

This memo updates RFC 2747.

Working Group Summary

  There were no objections in the working group to this solution to the problem.

Protocol Quality

  This document was reviewed for the IESG by Scott Bradner.

Note to RFC Editor:

Please change the title of the document to RSVP Cryptographic Authentication -
Updated Message Type Value.