Subject: Router Forwarding skip .

From: Manoj Agiwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 14:24:45 +0530

Hi ,
     When RSVP messages are forwarded do we skip the routing
forwarding at Netwrok Layer ? If yes does this happen for both Multicast and
Unicast .
Regards ,
Manoj

---

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:23:44 GMT

*> From [email-masked]  Thu Apr 12 01:58:25 2001
  *> From: Manoj   Agiwal <[email-masked]>
  *> To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
  *> Subject: Router Forwarding skip .
  *> Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 14:24:45 +0530
  *> MIME-Version: 1.0
  *> 
  *> Hi ,
  *>      When RSVP messages are forwarded do we skip the routing
  *> forwarding at Netwrok Layer ? If yes does this happen for both Multicast and
  *> Unicast .
  *> Regards ,
  *> Manoj
  *> 

For multicast sessions, the RSVP spec requires that normal kernel
forwarding be bypassed, as suggested under "Outgoing Link
Specification" in section 3.11.5 of RFC 2205.   This is probably
not required in the unicast case.  The ISI implementation chose
to bypass kernel routing in both cases to avoid having distinctly
different logic for multicast and unicast.  This may have been
somewhat academic.

Bob Braden