Subject: NHOP field in RESV message

From: Manoj Agiwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:15:04 +0530

Hi ,
       In the RESV message format there is a field NHOP . Functional Specs 
       says  

     " There is an additional rule governing the forwarding of Resv
        messages: state from Resv messages received from outgoing
        interface Io should be forwarded to incoming interface Ii only if
         Path messages from Ii are forwarded to Io."

      The Message specs says 
     
        " For a unicast destination, OutInterface_list contains one entry
and
        IncInterface is undefined."

        Is NHOP of relevance in case of multicast only , if yes Why ?

        What can happen if we pass the RESV message from some other
        interface in comparison to interface on which we receive PATH
        message ?

        Will it again vary from unicast to multicast environment
        as the Inc Interface is undefined in case of unicast .      
        
        Even if we pass on RESV message on some other outgoing interface
        i.e. other than from which we receive PATH message then also we are
        passing LIH along with the NHOP which will identify the link on
which
        reservation has to be made . Then why do we require to pass RESV 
        message on the same interface on which we receive PATH message .
 
Regards ,
Manoj