Subject: Path State in the end Host

From: Ratnakar Pai <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:12:22 +0530

Hi,
 Consider the Situation: There is a host on a broadcast lan which is the
only
member of a multicast group. Now when another host on the same LAN joins the
mulicast group , there is a mention that the host will already have a path
state in place .

 This would mean that all the hosts on the same LAN will be having Path
state in place .

 But why does this happen is not clear .

As per to my understanding process running on a host informs the network
device drivers that it wishes to be a member of a specified group . 

The device driver maps the IP multicast address to a physical multicast
address which will enable the reception of packets  for that address .

The single Physical address will be mapped to 32 IP multicast addresses in
case of Ethernet LAN .

Please take us out of dillema .....
Rantkar ...