Subject: Making Reservations

From: Manoj Agiwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 13:02:18 +0530

Hi , 
     In RFC 2205 with reference to following lines 
    Section 3.9 Making Reservations

          "when application is executing on a router and the session is
           multicast, a more complex situation arises.   Suppose in this
           case that a receiver application joins the group on an
           interface Iapp that differs from Isp, the shortest-path
           interface to the sender.  Then there are two possible ways
           for multicast routing to deliver data packets to the
           application. "

       In the first possible way it says that 

       1. Multicast routing protocol may  create a  seperate  branch of 
           multicast distribution tree to deliver to Iapp . 

       My query is , does this happen only in case if the application is
residing
       on a router ?? Why a seperate branch of multicast distribution tree
is
       created in this case even though there is a shortest path 
       to sender via Isp .

Regards ,
Manoj

---

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 21:44:25 GMT

*>        In the first possible way it says that 
  *> 
  *>        1. Multicast routing protocol may  create a  seperate  branch of 
  *>            multicast distribution tree to deliver to Iapp . 
  *> 
  *>        My query is , does this happen only in case if the application is
  *> residing
  *>        on a router ?? Why a seperate branch of multicast distribution tree
  *> is

No,I think this case could arise on an end system, if that ES is
executing another application that has joined the same group on Isp.

  *>        created in this case even though there is a shortest path 
  *>        to sender via Isp .
  *> 

Just because that is the way the multicast routing (or at least
DVMRP) works.  Ask Steve Deering.

Bob Braden

  *> Regards ,
  *> Manoj
  *>