Subject: ipv6

From: Carmen Gonzalez <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 00:37:56 -0400

Hi;
A quick question:
Is it a requirement or at least strongly suggested the use of a specific
routing protocol like IPv6.
What's the most used routing protocol when RSVP forms part of the equation?
...uups! now they are two questions.
Thanks for the help
Carmen

---

From: Steven Berson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 23:00:39 -0700 (PDT)

> routing protocol like IPv6.

Carmen,

I assume you are asking whether there is a preferred routing algorithm
for RSVP and IPv6.  There is not (nor for IPv4).  There is a generic
routing interface API for RSVP, but that is not specific to any
particular routing algorithm.

> What's the most used routing protocol when RSVP forms part of the equation?

We used RIP (or static and default routes) for unicast and mrouted for
multicast in our test environment.  I don't really know what routing
protocols others have used.

Regards,
Steve

---

From: Carmen Gonzalez <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 11:36:01 -0400

Hola;
There are people that use OSPF as routing preferable protocol to provide
routing services to RSVP. I have read this is a more scalable protocol than
IPv4 (what about IPv6?). This is specially useful when the traffic travels
large networks. If I am not mistaken IPv4 is capable to keep routes up
until 16 hops of metric and the base of this metric is number of hops. OSPF
bases the route to follow on speed of links. I understand RSVP will hot
handle the  routing tasks and therefore there most be a generic interface
to do so but there most be an advantage of using one over the other for the
type of traffic RSVP is reserving the resources for.

Carmen