Subject: Re: heterogeneity on reservation

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 19:21:09 GMT

*> 
  *> Hi Lixia;
  *> Not any specific problem. I am trying to get a good idea about what are the
  *> particularities of the RSVP protocol. As a part of the ADSPEC seccion of
  *> the Path message there is a statment:
  *> At present RSVP does not accommodate heterogeneity of services between
  *> receivers within a given multicast Session.
  *> 
  *> If I understand correctly he talks about the different services offered by
  *> the sender which can be advertised in the ADSPEC portion. Guaranteed
  *> Service and Controled-Load. Each of the two could be used to "forced"
  *> everyone in a multicast session to request that service especeifically.
  *> 

While this is literally true, I believe it gives the wrong focus.  My
viewpoint on mixing integrated service models was that the service
model is likely to be a property of a particular application.  Some
applications are elastic, some are not.  The elastic apps will
presumably choose Controlled Load while the inelastic applications must
choose Guaranteed.  Hence, there was little motivation to allow mixing
of service models.

BTW, your question really concerns integrated services, not RSVP, which
is only the messenger.

Bob Braden