Subject: TTL field in RSVP header

From: Rosella Greco <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 16:47:32 +0200

hi all,
    is there someone who an explain me which are the points in konwing 
the number of not-RSVP aware hops? (there is the TTL field in the header 
of RSVP to this scope)
Thank a lot
          Rosella

---

From: Karthikeyan Nathillvar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 10:09:54 -0500 (CDT)

hi,

> the number of not-RSVP aware hops? (there is the TTL field in the header

       RSVP daemon compares the TTL value in the IP header with the TTL
value in the RSVP header. The TTL value in the RSVP header is updated only
by RSVP aware hops. So the difference between them will indicate the
number of non-rsvp aware hops.

    Ofcourse, this mechanism wont' work for tunneled messages. so an
alternative mechanism should be figured out.

reg.
karthik.

---

From: Steven Berson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 08:24:55 -0700 (PDT)

> > the number of not-RSVP aware hops? (there is the TTL field in the header

Rosella,

The main point is knowing if there are any non-RSVP hops.  If there 
are any non-RSVP hops, then the RSVP next-hop router needs to set the 
(service break?) flag indicating that you might not be getting 
reserved service even though your reservation succeeded.

Regards,
Steve