Subject: Call for papers for COIN+PS2002

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 19:51:38 +0900

Due Date is coming
Dear Colleagues,

(We apologize if you receive multiple copies.) 
Attached herewith is the call for papers for COIN+PS2002. We would be most
grateful if you could broadcast this information in your organization,
colleagues, interested parties, and related lists.
Thank you very much.

With Best Regards,

Hyeong Ho Lee and Jin Woo Park (COIN Technical Program Committee Co-chairs)
Kyong Hon Kim and Ksos Murakami (PS Technical Program Committee Co-chairs)

C A L L  F O R  P A P E R S  A N D  P R O P O S A L S 

Optical Internet and Photonic Switching Conference  (COIN+PS 2002) 
http://www.coin-ps2002.org 
Hyatt Regency Cheju, Cheju Island, Korea
July 21 - 25, 2002 

Sponsored by: 
   IEEE - Lasers and Electro-Optics Society, 
   Optical Society of America,
   Korean Institute of Communication Sciences, and 
   The Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers 

In Co-operation with: 

   IEEE - Daejeon Section, 
   Optical Internet Research Center at ICU, 
   Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute, 
   Korea Optical Internet Forum,
   Korea Australia Photonic Association,
   Korea Science and Engineering Foundation, 
   Ministry of Information and Communication, Korea, and 
   Optical Society of Korea 

For sponsorship and exhibit opportunities, visit the conference website,
http://www.coin-ps2002.org.

Scope:
Internet traffic is now dramatically increasing with diverse service
requirement over the world so that optical internet is becoming economical
solution to meet these needs. Optical networks based on photonic packet and
burst switches might be realized in near future. The 2002 international
meetings on OPTICAL INTERNET and PHONICS IN SWITCHING in Korea are good
opportunities to discuss these hot issues. Two meetings will be held at
collocated site, Jeju island in Korea, on 21-25 July 2002. The
International Conference on Optical Internet (COIN) is the first organized
conference while the Topical Meeting on Photonics in Switching (PS) is
historical and preeminent conference. Two meetings are separately organized
but main topics may be merged each other so that submitted papers will be
conveniently allocated into both conferences for keeping their technical
balance. 

Important Dates: 
    Paper Submission Deadline: April 20, 2002 
    Paper Acceptance Notification: May 20, 2002 
    Pre-registration Deadline: June 21, 2002 
    Hotel Reservation Deadline: June 21, 2002 
    Postdeadline Paper Due: July 13, 2002 
    Conference Dates: July 21 -  25, 2002 

Preparation and Submission of Papers

A limited number of contributed papers covering original unpublished work
within the scope of the meetings will be accepted for presentation. Authors
are requested to submit their original papers via on-line by April 20,
2002. All submitted papers will be reviewed by the program committee.

<Preparation of Papers> 
Make sure that your paper is formatted properly as instructed below: 
  - Comply with IEEE Globecom conference proceedings format 
  - Single spaced double-column 
  - For US letter-size paper (8.5 x 11 in.), set the top and bottom margins
to 1 inch, left and right margins to 0.7 inches 
  - For A4 paper, set the top and bottom margin to 35 mm, left and right
margins to 15 mm 
  - Column width is 88 mm (3.45 inches) and space between columns is 5 mm
(0.14 inches) 
  - DO NOT paginate your paper (i.e., no page numbers please) 
  - Restrict your paper to a maximum length of 3 pages 
  - Graphics and fonts MUST print and view correctly 
  - PDF file ONLY

<Submitting Your Paper> 
All authors must register and submit their papers electronically at 
     http://www.coin-ps2002.org/submission

DO NOT MAIL OR FAX YOUR PAPER: IT MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE. 

Topics and Focus Areas: 
   Contributions are solicited in all optical networking research and
applied areas. These include, but are not limited to, the following feature
topics:

COIN 2002 
- Optical network architecture and evolution scenario 
- Internet protocol over optical network 
- GMPLS protocol for IP over optical network 
- IP routing and signaling including optical routing 
- Control and management protocol for IP over optical network 
- Open network and open signaling architecture for optical network 
- Traffic management and QoS 
- Optical protection and restoration 
- Gigabit Ethernet 
- Scalable access networks and next generation SONET 
- Planar waveguide devices for DWDM network 
- Wavelength Conversion 
- Optical packet switching and optical burst switching 
- Optical packet head processing 
- Optical buffering and optical synchronization 
- Standards for optical internetworking 
- Next generation optical system

PS 2002 
- Devices and phenomena for switching applications 
- Waveguide technologies for switching devices 
- Optically, electrically, or mechanically activated optical switches, OXC
and their arrays 
- Optical interconnect for electronic and photonic systems 
- Integration of optical and electronic switching devices 
- Material properties relevant to optical switching devices 
- Comparisons of optical and electronic switching 
- Trends in performance of optical and electronic switching devices 
- Switching systems and network architectures that use optical switching
technologies 
- Applications of optical switching architecture 
- Advanced photonic routers 

About the Cheju Island: Conference Site

"Nature's Paradise in the North Pacific"
Cheju Island has a mild oceanic climate throughout the year with the
smallest annual temperature range in the country. The temperature for the
hottest summer months averages no more than 33.5 Celsius and no less than 1.
05 Celsius for winter. The island is 73Km wide and 41Km long with a total
area of 1,845 Km square. Cheju Island, the largest island in Korea, came
into existence 700 to 1,200 thousand years ago when lava spewed from a sub-
sea volcano and surfaced above the waters. Then 100 to 300 thousand years
ago, another volcanic event formed Mt. Halla. The final volcanic eruption
that took place approximately 25 thousand years ago created the crater
lake, Paeknok-dam, at the summit of the mountain. Mt. Halla rises in the
center of Cheju Island to 1950m above sea level. The rest of the island
slopes down from its summit and is covered with dark gray volcanic rocks
and volcanic ash soil. Relatively isolated form the rest of the world, the
island's nature has been well preserved in its prehistoric state. That is
why to travelling to Cheju Island is to travel back in time. Cheju's
natural environment was preserved as best as possible. The fantastically
shaped rocks decorating the seashores, the hundreds of Orums(secondary
volcanos)and the rarest species of flora around the Paeknok-dam lake are
all treasures waiting to be discovered by visitors. One cannot see Cheju
Island unless one looks. It is like seeing only trees before entering a
forest. 
Our Internet home page, http://www.coin-ps2002.org/chejudo/index_e.htm, is
designed to let people take a look into Cheju Island - to take a glimpse of
the island's myths and shaman folklore, stone sculptures embodying local
faith and sentiments, historic relics and the beauty of its art. There is
also information about the leisure and sports activities the island offers -
such as golf, horse-back riding and windsurfing. The local cuisine, night-
life, shopping districts are also presented in a comprehensive and concise
format for easy view. We hope that everyone of you who visit Cheju Island
leave taking a piece of the island's magic in your hearts.