Subject: Conference: Call for Papers

From: Nevil Brownlee <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 09:40:35 +1200 (New Zealand Standard Time)

Passive & Active Measurement: PAM-2000

                         Call for papers

A workshop on passive and active measurement techniques for high speed
computer networks and the Internet

           University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand
                       April 3 and 4, 2000

                Abstracts due: 15 November 1999
              Full papers due: 15 February 2000

Conference Chair: Professor Ian Graham, University of Waikato

Program Committee:
Nevil Brownlee (chair)   The University of Auckland, New Zealand
Scott Bradner            Harvard University, U.S.A.
Hans-Werner Braun        NLANR, U.S.A.
Randy Bush               Verio, U.S.A.        
John Cleary              University of Waikato, New Zealand
Geoff Huston             Telstra, Australia
Kitamura Yasuichi        CRL/APAN, Japan
Tracie Monk              CAIDA, U.S.A.
Alastair Reynolds        Hewlett Packard, Scotland
Matthew Robinson         RIPE Test Traffic WG, U.K.
Henk Uijterwaal          RIPE NCC, Netherlands
Matt Zekauskas           Advanced Network & Services, U.S.A.    

As the Internet has grown over the last decade the need for precise
measurement of network traffic has become steadily more apparent; most
of today's Internet Service Providers and many of their large network
customers are collecting and analysing traffic data for the purposes of
performance monitoring, network engineering and cost recovery, but the
engineering quality of these measurements vary. 

A steadily growing number of research groups have been
working in the areas of
 - Active Measurements, i.e. sending test packets and observing
      their progress through the Internet
 - Passive Measurements, i.e. observing actual traffic on 'live' 
      networks
 - Performance Metrics, i.e. developing measures or indicators
      which can be used to characterise traffic behaviour
 - Traffic Statistics, i.e. attempting to understand and develop
      models of 'real' Internet traffic
 - Visualisation, i.e. finding effective ways to display
      what's happening in a network

One such group is the Waikato Applied Network Dynamics (WAND) group,
based at Waikato University in New Zealand.  The WAND group will be
local host to a workshop to be held in New Zealand early in April 2000,
following the IETF meeting in Adelaide. 

Papers are invited from the research, provider and any other communities
on topics in the areas above, or any other area of network traffic
measurement.  Papers reporting practical experience of measurement
and/or analysis are especially welcome, in particular:

 1) 'Experience' papers, which talk about practical uses of
    measurement, especially in large networks are strongly encouraged.
 2) Papers on modelling would also be very welcome, especially if
    they're backed by measurements of real traffic.
 3) More 'academic' papers are fine too, but please emphasise
    the 'practical' side of the measurements.

Extended abstracts (about 500 words) must be submitted by e-mail to
[email-masked] by 15 November 1999. Abstracts will be reviewed
and acceptance notified by 15 December 1999 or earlier. 

Papers, maximum 15 printed pages, must be submitted electronically by 15
February 2000. Details of acceptable paper formats will be published on
the conference web site, pam2000.cs.waikato.ac.nz. 

Equipment and software demonstrations are also welcomed. Proposals for
demonstrations should be sent by email to the conference chair at
[email-masked] by 15 December 1999.

Hamilton is a city of some 100,000 inhabitants, situated 100 kilometres
(80 miles) south of New Zealand's largest city, Auckland. The weather in
April (our fall in New Zealand) is usually still warm and not too wet.

This workshop follows immediately after the 47th IETF meeting in
Adelaide, Australia (March 27-31, 2000).  Travel from Adelaide through
Auckland to the US is possible with United, Air New Zealand and Quantas
(and possibly other airlines).  Local travel and tourism can be arranged
through the workshop's travel agents in Hamilton; Calder and Lawson,
http://www.cnl.co.nz. 

The workshop will be held at the Novotel Tainui in Hamilton.
Special room rates are available for the conference,
and the conference fee will be about $US 150 ($NZ 250).
A paper copy of the workshop proceedings is included in the
conference fee.

For further information see http://www2.wave.co.nz/~novotel/hnindex.html

The workshop's web page is http://pam2000.cs.waikato.ac.nz

________________________________________________________________________