Subject: PAM2001 registration opens

From: "Henk Uijterwaal (RIPE-NCC)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 14:53:19 +0100 (CET)

Passive & Active Measurement: PAM-2001

                       Registration Opens

A workshop on passive and active measurement techniques for high speed
computer networks and the Internet

                    Amsterdam, the Netherlands,
                        April 23-24, 2001

As the Internet has grown over the last decade the need for precise
measurement of network traffic has become steadily more apparent; most of
today's Internet Service Providers and many of their large network
customers are collecting and analysing traffic data for the purposes of
performance monitoring, network engineering and cost recovery, but the
engineering quality of these measurements vary.

A steadily growing number of research groups have been working in the
areas of:

- Active Measurements, i.e. sending test packets and observing their
  progress through the Internet,
- Passive Measurements, i.e. observing actual traffic on 'live' networks,
- Performance Metrics, i.e. developing measures or indicators which can be
  used to characterise traffic behavior,
- Traffic Statistics, i.e. attempting to understand and develop models of
  'real' Internet traffic, and
- Visualisation, i.e. finding effective ways to display what's happening
  in a network.

After the successful workshop PAM2000 in Hamilton, New Zealand, in April
2000, the RIPE NCC will be organising another workshop on this topic in
Amsterdam in April 2001.

Registration for this workshop has now been opened.  To register online, 
go to:

    http://www.ripe.net/cgi-bin/pamreg
  
Also available on the web-site are the preliminary program:

    http://www.ripe.net/pam2001/program.html   

as well as general information on the workshop:

    http://www.ripe.net/pam2001/  

and hotel information:

    http://www.ripe.net/pam2001/hotels.html   

Rooms are available at the conference hotel.  The rate is 285 Euro/night
(including taxes, approximately 255 US$).  To reserve a room, call, fax or
email the hotel.  Contact details can be found on the web page.

If you prefer to stay in another hotel, then there are rooms available in
all price classes between 35 Euro/night and 1500 Euro/night within a 5 km
radius of the conference site.  A selection of hotels and links to
reservation sites can be found on the webpage.

There are still opportunities for participants to present measurement
equipment and software. Proposals for demonstrations (about 500 words,
plain ASCII) should be sent by email to the conference chair at
[email-masked] by 5 March 2001.

Contact information:

 * PAM 2001
   c/o RIPE-NCC
   Singel 258 
   1016 AB Amsterdam
   The Netherlands
 * Phone:   +31.20.5354444
 * Fax:     +31.20.5354445
 * Email:   [email-masked]
 * Webpage: http://www.ripe.net/pam2001

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Henk Uijterwaal                    Email: [email-masked]
RIPE Network Coordination Centre     WWW: http://www.ripe.net/home/henk
Singel 258                         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1016 AB Amsterdam                    Fax: +31.20.5354445 
The Netherlands                   Mobile: +31.6.55861746  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as you don't tell your friends how I played the hand,
then I won't tell my friends how you defended it.                 (Anonymous)