Subject: Response message too large?

From: Swaminathan Natarajan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 20:49:05 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

I am trying to use NeTraMet and NeMac to measure packets matching a
source-destination address pair and DSCodePoint value every 10 secs.

The command I use to start NeTraMet is:
~swami/bin/NeTraMet -r readComm -w writeComm -i eth1 -k -l & 

The command I use to start nemac is:
~swami/bin/NeMaC -b ~swami/netramet/share/NeTraMet/mibs/mib.txt -c10 -r
rules.rule -t -v -L nemac.log -F nemac.flow 192.168.76.32 writeComm 

netramet and nemac are run in the same machine which is linux(debian) and
eth1=192.168.76.32.

netramet gives no errors but nemac generates no flow file and generates
the foll. log file.

nemac.log
*************log file******************

21:25:05 Sun  7 Jan 2001 -- Starting NeMaC: NeTraMet Manager & Controller
4.4b8
21:25:05 Sun  7 Jan 2001 -- meter_info(): Error in packet, reason =
Response message would have been too large.
21:25:05 Sun  7 Jan 2001 -- Couldn't get meter info from 192.168.76.32!
21:25:05 Sun  7 Jan 2001 --    Does community writeComm have read or write
access to the meter?
21:25:05 Sun  7 Jan 2001 -- meter_info(): Error in packet, reason =
Response message would have been too large.
21:25:05 Sun  7 Jan 2001 -- meter_info(): Error in packet, reason =
Response message would have been too large.
21:25:05 Sun  7 Jan 2001 -- 192.168.76.32: No response
21:25:10 Sun  7 Jan 2001 -- meter_info(): Error in packet, reason =
Response message would have been too large.
21:25:10 Sun  7 Jan 2001 -- meter_info(): Error in packet, reason =
Response message would have been too large.
21:25:10 Sun  7 Jan 2001 -- 192.168.76.32: No response
21:25:15 Sun  7 Jan 2001 -- meter_info(): Error in packet, reason =
Response message would have been too large.
21:25:15 Sun  7 Jan 2001 -- meter_info(): Error in packet, reason =
Response message would have been too large.
21:25:15 Sun  7 Jan 2001 -- 192.168.76.32: No response
21:25:15 Sun  7 Jan 2001 -- ruleset_util(Destroy): Error in packet, reason
= noCreation
21:25:15 Sun  7 Jan 2001 -- ...
flowMIB.flowControl.flowRuleSetInfoTable.flowRuleSetInfoEntry.flowRuleInfoStatus.0
21:25:15 Sun  7 Jan 2001 -- NeMaC Shutting down

************END**************

The error has obviously something to do with SNMP message exchanges. But I
have not been able to figure out the cause/solution to the problem (i
believe the ruleset is correct). Can
anyone help me?! Are there any resources that describe error messages
generated by nemac/netramet? I would gratefully appreciate your help!

Thanks!
Swami.