Subject: Tellabs BFD IPR Disclosures

From: Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 15:00:13 +0100

Hi,

The IESG has been probing to find out a little bit more about the recent IPR 
disclosures.

Tellabs IP Counsel, Jae Kim, recently sent us this email:

> As far as I know, the RFCs identified in Tellabs' recent disclosure, as
> well as RFC 5880 (note that Tellabs plans to amend its recent
> disclosure to include RFC 5880), do not expressly describe the
> particular technology to which the present claims of the issued patents
> and pending applications identified by Tellabs are directed.  However,
> Tellabs provides its disclosure to the extent that one or more patent
> claims nevertheless may be necessary to technologies one may adopt
> to implement one or more of such RFCs.
>
> In any event, given that the claims of a patent define the scope of the
> invention, I encourage you to refer to the patent claims themselves to
> the extent that you might seek any further insight on this matter.

He also said:

> In making this particular disclosure, Tellabs has not stated that the 
> disclosed
> IPR necessarily covers every possible compliant implementation of IETF
> RFCs 5881-84.  Rather, Tellabs provides the disclosure to the extent that 
> the
> disclosed IPR may be necessary for at least some compliant 
> implementations.

You can see the disclosure at https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1403/

You, your technical experts, and your legal counsels will need to make your 
own minds up about this and the apparent lateness of the disclosure.

Thanks,
Adrian