Subject: Question regarding BFD MIB "draft-ietf-bfd-mib-10"

From: Mukund Mani <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 19:07:13 +0530

Hi

Could the MIB authors please clarify the following:

The RowStatus description in the MIB states that when the row is in Active
state no objects in the row can be modified except
the bfdSessRowStatus and bfdSessStorageType.

BFD base draft specifies the Poll Sequence mechanism to handle parameter
changes (Tx,Rx intervals and Detect mult) without session state change.

6.8.2.  Timer Negotiation
   The time values used to determine BFD packet transmission intervals
   and the session Detection Time are continuously negotiated, and thus
   may be changed at any time.

6.8.3.  Timer Manipulation
   The time values used to determine BFD packet transmission intervals
   and the session Detection Time may be modified at any time without
   affecting the state of the session.

My question thus is on the exact interpretation of RowStatus.  If we go by
MIB description, parameter change (Tx,Rx,Detect Mult) will not be allowed.
Thus to change parameter do we then change the RowStatus to Not In Service ?

This should not be the case since ideally on moving to Not In Service it is
not correct to keep the remote BFD session
parameters. And even if we do move to Not In Service, moving from Not In
Service to Active thereon should ideally result in bootstrapping again.

Correlating with the MIB how will then the Poll Sequence mechanism be
realised (sending packets with P bits without affecting session state)

With Regards
Mukund