Subject: Tweak to charter text

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 11:11:16 -0000

Hi,

The BFD charter is in front of the IESG this week to review the addition of
point 6

During his review Sean Turner pointed out that we have recently had a problem
with over-zealous truncation of HMACs in a routing protocol rendering it
potentially unsecured. Therefore, he was nervous about the text in 2c that
suggests possible truncation.

I have made the following change to fix this.

OLD
2c. Specify cryptographic authentication procedures for the BFD protocol
using HMAC-SHA-256 (possibly truncated to a smaller integrity check value)
using the generic keying-based cryptographic authentication mechanism.
NEW
2c. Specify cryptographic authentication procedures for the BFD protocol
using HMAC-SHA-256 (possibly truncated to a smaller integrity check value
but not beyond commonly accepted lengths to ensure security) using the 
generic keying-based cryptographic authentication mechanism.
END

Cheers,
Adrian