Subject: Document Action: 'BFD for VXLAN' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-bfd-vxlan-16.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 11:28:43 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'BFD for VXLAN'
  (draft-ietf-bfd-vxlan-16.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Bidirectional Forwarding Detection
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Deborah Brungard and Martin
Vigoureux.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bfd-vxlan/

Technical Summary

This document describes the use of the Bidirectional Forwarding
Detection (BFD - RFC 5880) protocol in Virtual eXtensible Local Area Network
(VXLAN) overlay networks.

Working Group Summary

This document has received community review with opportunities to comment in
relevant working groups such as BFD, NVO3, and BESS.  It is of interest to
parties that operate VXLAN networks and wish to provide continuity checks for
tunnels interconnecting virtual machines in such networks.

Document Quality

The document received a number of comments during IETF LC and directorate reviews, all of which where addressed.
The more important ones related to the use of a special VNI as a management channel, and the use of which MAC DA for the inner ethernet frame.
At the time of working group last call, there are two known implementations of
this mechanism.  No special reviewers were required for this document.

Personnel

Document Shepherd: Jeffrey Haas, BFD co-chair.
Responsible Area Director: Martin Vigoureux.