Subject: BFD Working Group Status for IETF-112

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 16:43:52 -0400

Working Group,

We won't be meeting at IETF-112.  Here's the current status of our work:

We've re-organized the BFD wiki where we track our state.  

https://trac.ietf.org/trac/bfd/wiki

Active status has been filtered here:
https://trac.ietf.org/trac/bfd/wiki/BFD%20Working%20Group%20Current%20Activities

Our work in progress:

- BFD Unsolicited is pending last between Reshad and Tom Petch once the
  internet-draft queue opens again.  Then we should be able to submit it to
  the IESG for publication.
- The authors of BFD unaffiliated echo had done an update on their draft
  text earlier this year.  The working group should take a look at the
  current text.  (I need to review how my suggested changes have been
  integrated or not by the authors.)  We should target submitting this to the
  IESG before end of year.
- BFD large packets was requested to integrate the echo work by Xiao Min.  I
  hope to progress this soon.
- The Optimizing BFD draft is still waiting on normative text by Alan DeKok.
  Once that document is ready to publish, we'll be able to ship the various
  dependent BFD authentication documents in a group.
- We had shipped BFD YANG as RFC 9127!
  + But we discovered a small issue while reviewing the client protocols using
    the client-cfg-parm grouping. :-(

A terse description of the client-cfg-parm issue is that grouping was to
permit both centralized BFD provisioning and per-client BFD provisioning to
work simply by incorporating a common bit of YANG.  However, this required
the clients to do a deviation to remove the per-client nodes if it was an
implementation that used centralized mode.

The IETF YANG community has been seen opinions about using deviations to
accomplish normal feature behaviors change over the life of the language.
The current desire is to accommodate both modes as a YANG "feature".

As currently being discussed off-list, this will likely require a very small
-bis on RFC 9127.  We'll make sure the status of this item gets communicated
back to the Working Group once the yang doctors have expressed their opinion
about the fix.  (This is also likely a discussion item during the rtgarea
open meeting.)

You're also encouraged to review the BFD-related working not happening in
BFD in the wiki.  As part of our charter, we'll be helping provide review of
these documents as part of their last call.

https://trac.ietf.org/trac/bfd/wiki/Non-BFD%20Working%20Group%20BFD-related%20Activities

-- Jeff and Reshad