Subject: Liaison statement to BBF re: TR-146 and draft-ietf-bfd-unaffiliated-echo

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 19:51:22 -0500

Greetings,

The IETF Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD) Working Group has begun
work on "Unaffiliated BFD Echo Function".  This work is happening in the
Internet-Draft draft-ietf-bfd-unaffiliated-echo.[1]

The BFD protocol (IETF RFC 5880, etc.) is used as a service in routers and
other IP gateway devices for testing bi-directional connectivity.  Such
devices benefit from having BFD as a common interface for monitoring the
status of such connectivity.

The purpose of this work is to permit an implementation of BFD that supports
Echo functionality to be used with a Internet Protocol host that does not
support the BFD protocol, but is capable of providing the packet loopback
behavior required by the BFD Echo mechanism.

The BFD Working Group is aware of an overlapping use case addressed by
BBF TR-146.

Those interested in providing detailed feedback and technical comment on
the draft are encouraged to participate in the development of the draft in
the IETF via the IETF process.

Regards,

-- Jeff Haas, Reshad Rahman, IETF BFD Chairs

[1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bfd-unaffiliated-echo/

---

From: Lincoln Lavoie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 08:48:54 -0500

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for your email / liaison.  This has been received by the
Broadband Forum and should be reviewed during our meetings this week.
Please let us know if you need anything else.

Cheers,
Lincoln

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 7:51 PM Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]> wrote:

> --
> UNSUBSCRIBE: To unsubscribe from this email list, please forward any
> unwanted emails to [email-masked] with a request to
> unsubscribe.
> ***Unsubscribe instructions immediately below this line will not work.***
> ---
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to [email-masked].
>
>

-- 
*Lincoln Lavoie*
Principal Engineer, Broadband Technologies
21 Madbury Rd., Ste. 100, Durham, NH 03824
[email-masked]
https://www.iol.unh.edu
+1-603-674-2755 (m)
<https://www.iol.unh.edu>