Subject: Rtgdir last call review of draft-ietf-bfd-unsolicited-09

From: Henning Rogge via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 04:29:48 -0800

Reviewer: Henning Rogge
Review result: Has Nits

Hi,

the RTGdir has asked me to do a review on draft-ietf-bfd-unsolicited-09 and I
think its ready for publication.

The concept of passively listening instances reacting on demand should simplify
deployment of BDF, especially when switching between active and passive role
can be done automatically decided on local demand. As far as I could see from
RFC 5880 BDF signals its state (active or passive), so it cannot accidentally
have two passive sides just reacting to each other (thinking the other as
active).

I have two nits with the document...

1st, I would like a clarification which/how many (all?) security measurements
you consider mandatory... if you (as an example) run the protocol in a trusted
environment, you might be able to skip authentication... but maybe using the
TTL to keep the protocol "linklocal" should still be mandatory.

2nd, I would suggest writing out the full name "Bidirectional Forwarding
Detection (BFD)" once in the abstract just to make sure nobody confuses the
acronym.

Henning Rogge

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 08:32:16 -0500

Henning,

Thank you for your comments on this draft.

> TTL to keep the protocol "linklocal" should still be mandatory.

I believe these are addressed by core RFC 5880/5881 procedures.

Authentication is optional.  
GTSM is required for single hop sessions.  (RFC 5881, Section 5.)

> Detection (BFD)" once in the abstract just to make sure nobody confuses the

Thanks.  I suspect this comment will also arrive via the RFC Editor.

-- Jeff

---

From: "Acee Lindem (acee)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 14:57:48 +0000

On 1/18/22, 8:33 AM, "rtg-dir on behalf of Jeffrey Haas" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

    Henning,

Yes - I would have thought BFD was well-known but it is not asterisked. Perhaps due to the more common designation...  

https://www.rfc-editor.org/materials/abbrev.expansion.txt

Acee 

    -- Jeff