Subject: DT announcement: micro-loop prevention

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 23:54:37 -0800

Folks-

 A few members of the WG have been discussing different microloop prevention
 mechanisms recently. To ensure transparency of the process, the WG chairs
 decided to formalize this effort as a design team (for more information on
 design teams, please see http://www.ietf.org/IESG/STATEMENTS/Design-Teams.txt).
 In the interest of rapid progress, we decided to keep this DT small and
 focused. Current members of the design team are listed below:

   Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
   Don Fedyk <[email-masked]>
   Mike Shand <[email-masked]>
   Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
   Chris Martin <[email-masked]>
   Joel M. Halpern <[email-masked]>

 We can add one or two more persons to the DT. If you believe you can make a
 useful contribution to the DT, please send me an e-mail and explain what your
 contribution would be. Requests to join the DT to "ensure being in the loop"
 will not be satisfied--the DT will report to the WG on a regular basis, and
 will hand the matter to the WG as a whole after its done with the discussion.

 At this point the DT has the following milestones:

  NOV 2004: clarify technical details of proposed methods
  NOV 2004: present & discuss proposed methods at IETF61
  DEC 2004: evaluate micro-loop prevention mechanisms for Basic IPFRR
  DEC 2004: report its considerations and recommendation to the WG

 The DT will also update the WG on its results as it progresses.

-- 
Alex
http://www.psg.com/~zinin

_______________________________________________
Rtgwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtgwg

---

From: Olivier Bonaventure <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Nov 2004 17:28:54 +0100

Alex,

>  focused. Current members of the design team are listed below:

We have worked a lot on microloop prevention during the last few months.
Our approach is somewhat different from the approaches discussed in the
mailing list. Basically, we propose some extensions to ISIS/OSPF to
allow the routers to determine when they can safely update their FIB to
avoid microloops. The extension that we propose is simply to add a new
TLV inside the ISIS/OSPF Hello packets. 

The paper describing this protocol and the proof of the ordering will be
presented at INFOCOM 2005 in March. We are currently updating the paper
based on the received reviewer's comments. In the mean time, we have
placed a draft version of the paper on the web. You can download it from
: 
http://www.info.ucl.ac.be/people/OBO/papers/infocom2005.pdf

If you think that this proposal could be useful for the work on
microloops or that we could, Pierre and myself, contribute to the design
team, let me know. 

Best regards,

Olivier Bonaventure
-- 
CSE Dept. UCL, Belgium - http://www.info.ucl.ac.be/people/OBO/