Subject: MPLS-TP Multipath

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 21:17:14 -0500

FYI-

Please discuss this on MPLS rather than on RTGWG.

Curtis

Briefly changes are as follows:

  mpls-tp-multipath:

    Change of author affiliation

    Switch from CCAMP to MPLS WG (error in prior draft)

    Numerous spelling corrections

    Added paragraph citing scaling work in RFC5439 and relevance.

  mpls-tp-multipath-te-extn:

    Change of author affiliation

    Numerous spelling corrections

    Multipath Link Capability TLV is added to Interface_ID, not Link
    Identification TLV as in prior version.

  -------

  A new version of I-D, draft-villamizar-mpls-tp-multipath-02.txt has
  been successfully submitted by Curtis Villamizar and posted to the
  IETF repository.

  Filename:	 draft-villamizar-mpls-tp-multipath
  Revision:	 02
  Title:		 Use of Multipath with MPLS-TP and MPLS
  Creation date:	 2012-02-27
  WG ID:		 Individual Submission
  Number of pages: 35

  Abstract:
     Many MPLS implementations have supported multipath techniques and
     many MPLS deployments have used multipath techniques, particularly in
     very high bandwidth applications, such as provider IP/MPLS core
     networks.  MPLS-TP has discouraged the use of multipath techniques.
     Some degradation of MPLS-TP OAM performance cannot be avoided when
     operating over current high bandwidth multipath implementations.

     The tradeoffs involved in using multipath techniques with MPLS and
     MPLS-TP are described.  Requirements are discussed which enable full
     MPLS-TP compliant LSP including full OAM capability to be carried
     over MPLS LSP which are traversing multipath links.  Other means of
     supporting MPLS-TP coexisting with MPLS and multipath are discussed.

  -------

  A new version of I-D,
  draft-villamizar-mpls-tp-multipath-te-extn-01.txt has been
  successfully submitted by Curtis Villamizar and posted to the IETF
  repository.

  Filename:	 draft-villamizar-mpls-tp-multipath-te-extn
  Revision:	 01
  Title:		 Multipath Extensions for MPLS Traffic Engineering
  Creation date:	 2012-02-27
  WG ID:		 Individual Submission
  Number of pages: 26

  Abstract:
     Extensions to OSPF-TE, ISIS-TE, and RSVP-TE are defined in support of
     carrying LSP with strict packet ordering requirements over multipath
     and and carrying LSP with strict packet ordering requirements within
     LSP without violating requirements to maintain packet ordering.  LSP
     with strict packet ordering requirements include MPLS-TP LSP.

     OSPF-TE and ISIS-TE extensions defined here indicate node and link
     capability regarding support for ordered aggregates of traffic,
     multipath traffic distribution, and abilities to support multipath
     load distribution differently per LSP.

     RSVP-TE extensions either identifies an LSP as requiring strict
     packet order, or identifies an LSP as carrying one or more LSP that
     requires strict packet order at a given depth in the label stack, or
     identifies an LSP as having no restrictions on packet ordering except
     the restriction to avoid reordering microflows.  In addition an
     extension indicates whether the first nibble of payload will reliably
     indicate whether payload is IPv4, IPv6, or other type of payload,
     most notably pseudowire using a pseudowire control word.

  -------