Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rtgwg-bgp-pic-15.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 17:21:47 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Routing Area Working Group WG of the IETF.

        Title           : BGP Prefix Independent Convergence
        Authors         : Ahmed Bashandy
                          Clarence Filsfils
                          Prodosh Mohapatra
	Filename        : draft-ietf-rtgwg-bgp-pic-15.txt
	Pages           : 31
	Date            : 2021-08-20

Abstract:
In a network comprising thousands of BGP peers exchanging millions of
routes, many routes are reachable via more than one next-hop. Given
the large scaling targets, it is desirable to restore traffic after
failure in a time period that does not depend on the number of BGP
prefixes. In this document we proposed an architecture by which
traffic can be re-routed to ECMP or pre-calculated backup paths in a
timeframe that does not depend on the number of BGP prefixes. The
objective is achieved through organizing the forwarding data
structures in a hierarchical manner and sharing forwarding elements
among the maximum possible number of routes. The proposed technique
achieves prefix independent convergence while ensuring incremental
deployment, complete automation, and zero management and provisioning
effort. It is noteworthy to mention that the benefits of BGP Prefix
Independent Convergence (BGP-PIC) are hinged on the existence of more
than one path whether as ECMP or primary-backup.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-bgp-pic/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-rtgwg-bgp-pic-15

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-rtgwg-bgp-pic-15

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/