Subject: Re: We've got lift-off

From: Sally Hambridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 10:55:45 PDT

Ted - check with April on the process for revisions - and if
you want to add the confirmed opt-in stuff I think it would
make the doc better, but I think it would have to go through
the entire approval loop again

As for spamcon, I can't think of anything special....

Sally
Ted said:
>Speaking of RFC-3098, how does everyone feel about making a quick
>amendment and resubmitting? We've gotten some good feedback and
>suggestions that would indicate that perhaps something is missing. In
>the discussion, we neglected to include a mail-loop approval, which
>essentially prevents the activity of an opt-in request until the
>requestor actually does something (click on a link, reply to the
>message, etc...). This shifts the responsibility from the user (having
>to deal with unauthorized subscriptions) to the list owners (having to
>verify each address prior to inclusion). It's a MAPS-endorsed
>protection, and I think it warrants inclusion in some text from the
>IETF.
>
>I'd be happy to make the changes and present it to the group and up
>the chain for resubmission, but I'd like to see what Sally, April and
>the group have to say about it.
>
>On another note, I've been asked to speak at SPAMCON regarding this
>subject and Responsible Use, from the business perspective as well as
>the policy perspective. Anyone have any points they'd like to see
>included?
>
>Ted
>
>

---

From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 09:45:50 -0400

I'd like to agree that a pretty simple quick amendment is called for.
I'm a bit embarassed that I looked too much at the details rather than
the overall picture when I did my final review.

While it is true that such a revision would need to go through the
"entire approval loop" again, if the revised document is based on the
published RFC with changes confined to one or two section, I don't
think it would have much trouble...

Thanks,
Donald

From:  Sally Hambridge <[email-masked]>
Message-ID:   <[email-masked]>
Date:          Tue, 1 May 2001 10:55:45 PDT
Reply-To:  IETF-RUN <[email-masked]>
Sender:  IETF-RUN <[email-masked]>
Comments:  To: [email-masked]
To:  [email-masked]