Subject: Re: [sami] A new draft on state migration use cases is submitted.

From: Songhaibin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 09:35:58 +0000

IMO, OpenFlow is aimed to develop a test bed for researchers, to test new network protocols in a deployed network. The initial goal is different from here. SDN now defines itself with a broad scope, but I think putting together SAMI and SDN will make things complicated.

My two cents,
-Haibin

> I think Software Driven Network has no clear relationship to State Migration
> after I read the drafts. I may be wrong, could you give some hints based on
> your knowledge?

Software Driven Network seems to be a different name for what is known
as OpenFlow networks <http://www.openflow.org>, where the control
logic of a network is separated from the hardware taking care of
packet forwarding. If you have OpenFlow switches in front of your
hypervisors, than you control the flow processing behaviour of the
switches from a logically centralized external controller. Moving a VM
then just requires to inform the controller and the controller in turn
will "reprogram" the OpenFlow switches to move the data where it needs
to be.

/js

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 12:41:40 +0200

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 09:35:58AM +0000, Songhaibin wrote:
> 
> IMO, OpenFlow is aimed to develop a test bed for researchers, to
> test new network protocols in a deployed network. The initial goal
> is different from here. SDN now defines itself with a broad scope,
> but I think putting together SAMI and SDN will make things
> complicated.

I just wanted to make everyone aware of the BOF. I personally believe
the BOF is highly relevant as far as I understood your problem. I
think it does not matter that much where OpenFlow started but where it
is technically heading to.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>