Subject: Lunch meeting Chicago Tuesday 11:30

From: Chris Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 09:37:57 -0700 (PDT)

I would like to propose a Lunch meeting on Tuesday at 11:30 PM (meet by
IETF registration desk) to discuss the issue of mandatory authentication
mechanisms in the applications area.

If the applications area comes to rough concensus behind a particular
strategy for mandatory-to-implement authentication mechanisms, then it
might just be possible to get buy-in from the security area.  As long as
there is disagreement in the applications area, it seems fairly clear
nothing will happen and CRAM-MD5 will remain the only choice.

I am looking for people who actively develop email, LDAP, HTTP or other
app-level products to participate.  The goal would be to get agreement on
how to move towards a single multi-protocol authentication mechanism
that's mandatory-to-implement (and possibly a second mechanism that's
recommended).

		- Chris

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 10:42:50 -0700

> mechanisms in the applications area.

this is an important discussion. Chris has also taken the time to write up the 
issues in one place..

http://info.internet.isi.edu:80/in-drafts/files/
  draft-newman-auth-mandatory-00.txt

..which is probably good pre-reading for the discussion. 

Jeff

---

From: Bruce Greenblatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 10:49:39 -0700

For those of us unfortunate enough to be unable to make it to Chicago, can
someone (Chris?) please take notes, and post them to the appropriate mailing
lists?

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	[email-masked] [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Friday, August 21, 1998 10:43 AM
> To:	[email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject:	Re: Lunch meeting Chicago Tuesday 11:30 
>