Subject: mechanism based on OpenPGP?

From: Claus Assmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 13:47:19 -0800

Is there a SASL mechanism that is based on public key cryptography?
Something like OpenPGP for example? I would like to see such a
mechanism due to the "web of trust" that is simple in PGP but
difficult in X.509 based certs. Since it seems a bit expensive for
"end users" to get a cert from a big CA, it might be useful to have
an alternative to TLS, which only (?) allows for a hierarchical
structure. I know users could "just" use PGP in their MUAs, but
having encryption in an MTA might solve some interoperability
issues, esp. if an MTA like sendmail would support such a mechanism
(including the security layer, not just authentication).

---

From: Gregory Neil Shapiro <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 14:15:14 -0800 (PST)

ca+sasl> Is there a SASL mechanism that is based on public key cryptography?

I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for..

http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tls-openpgp-00.txt

                  Extensions to TLS for OpenPGP keys

Abstract

   This document builds upon the TLS Protocol Specification [TLS].  The
   extensions described herein are intended to apply to Version 1.0 of
   the TLS specification.

   The purpose of this document is to update the TLS protocol with
   extensions to support the certificates, public key algorithms,
   symmetric ciphers, hash algorithms, and trust model used by OpenPGP
   [OpenPGP].

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 01:18:27 -0700

> (including the security layer, not just authentication).

No one I am aware of.

All SASL mechanisms are listed at
http://baikonur.demo.ru/homerus/mail/SASL_info.html
Everything except SecurID should be up to date.

Alexey

---

From: Gregory Neil Shapiro <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 14:15:14 -0800 (PST)

Abstract

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 01:18:27 -0700

No one I am aware of.

Alexey

Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 01:18:27 -0700
From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
To: Claus Assmann <[email-masked]>
CC: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: mechanism based on OpenPGP?
Sender: [email-masked]

No one I am aware of.

Alexey

Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 14:15:14 -0800 (PST)
From: Gregory Neil Shapiro <[email-masked]>
To: Claus Assmann <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: mechanism based on OpenPGP?
Sender: [email-masked]

Abstract

Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 13:47:19 -0800
From: Claus Assmann <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: mechanism based on OpenPGP?
Sender: [email-masked]