Subject: draft-burdis-cat-srp-sasl-07

From: Keith Burdis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 20:15:04 +0000

Changes since the previous draft:

   Removed the references to Rijndael since, strictly speaking it is not
   the AES.  This should also eliminate any ambiguities as to the
   required block and key sizes this specification refers to when
   mentioning the AES.

   Removed the requirement for (a) an all-zero IV, and (b) a dummy first
   block in the operations of the Confidentiality Service filter.

   Included the description of a secure PRNG.

   Included the description of a Key Derivation Function (KDF) to ensure
   there will always be enough bytes to initialise both the CALG and
   IALG from the shared context key computed by the SRP calculations.

   Added a paragraph before the end of the "Security layer" section to
   clarify that this specification does not mandate nor imply a lockstep
   in operating the security services.

   Added a paragraph to the "Security considerations" section about the
   quality of the PRNG to use.

   Added the restriction that all text should be in Unicode
   Normalization form KC with NULs prohibited.

   Tightened up the restrictions on the options lists L and o by
   specifying that they must not contain any whitespace and must always
   be in lowercase.  Changed "replay detection" to "replay_detection".
   This should simplify parsing of these lists.

   Added explicit notes that parameters received from the other party
   must be used as received in all digest calculations.  Clearly any
   alteration of these input parameters (such as changing the case of
   text) will prevent the digest calculations on each side from
   producing the same result.

   Made it mandatory for the server to advertise at least one integrity
   protection algorithm and recommended that the HMAC-SHA-160 algorithm
   always be advertised.  Recommended that the server always make
   integrity protection mandatory.

   Recommended that the client always select integrity protection, even
   if the server does not make it mandatory to do so.  Also recommended
   that the client always select integrity protection when it selects
   confidentiality protection.

   Added Alexey Melnikov to Section 9.

   Fixed off-by-one error in replay detection description.