Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sasl-saslprep-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 07:45:32 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Simple Authentication and Security Layer Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: SASLprep: Stringprep profile for user names and 
                          passwords
	Author(s)	: K. Zeilenga
	Filename	: draft-ietf-sasl-saslprep-00.txt
	Pages		: 5
	Date		: 2003-2-26
	
This document describes how to prepare Unicode strings representing
user names and passwords for comparison.  The document defines the
'SASLprep' 'stringprep' profile to be used for both user names and
passwords.  This profile is intended to be used by Simple
Authentication and Security Layer (SASL) mechanisms (such as PLAIN,
CRAM-MD5, and DIGEST-MD5) as well as other protocols exchanging user
names and/or passwords.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sasl-saslprep-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-sasl-saslprep-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sasl-saslprep-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Steve Hole <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 08:57:27 -0700

> CRAM-MD5, and DIGEST-MD5) as well as other protocols exchanging user

It is entirely possible that I have missed some conversation that answers 
this question ... if so I apologize.   Why is this necessary.   Those 
mechanisms that are recommended for use (CRAM-MD5 is effectively 
deprecated in favour of Digest) support use of UTF8 encoded strings.  Why 
we would need to do anything else for exact comparison purposes?

Cheers.

---
Steve Hole
Chief Technology Officer - Billing and Payment Systems
ACI Worldwide
<mailto:[email-masked]>
Phone: 780-424-4922

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 11:02:39 -0800

>we would need to do anything else for exact comparison purposes?

To ensure that two different, but canonically equivalent, Unicode
strings are treated as being the same.

Kurt

---

From: Steve Hole <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 08:57:27 -0700

Cheers.

---
Steve Hole

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 11:02:39 -0800

Kurt