Subject: draft-ietf-sasl-crammd5-02 / additional mechanisms ?

From: Tino Reichardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 12:26:01 +0200

Hello ietf-sasl list.

First of all: my english isn't the best and I am new to this list.

I think the draft 'The CRAM-MD5 SASL Mechanism' should not only
specify the CRAM-MD5 mechanism.
Maybe it can be renamed to 'The CRAM SASL Mechanism family' or similar
and then specify also some other standard hash routines as SASL CRAM
mechanisms:

: CRAM-MD5
160bit: CRAM-SHA1
160bit: CRAM-RIPEMD-160
320bit: CRAM-RIPEMD-320

ps: The CRAM-SHA1 mechanism is already used by serveral servers and
    clients.

references:

[SHA1]   http://www.itl.nist.gov/fipspubs/fip180-1.htm
[RIPEMD] http://www.esat.kuleuven.ac.be/~bosselae/ripemd160.html

-- 
regards, TR

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 12:41:41 -0700

My previous note had a few unfortunate typos in it.  This should be
more clear.  Sorry for any confusion. -- Kurt

Tino,

The SASL WG's CRAM-MD5 work item is limited to revising the SASL
CRAM-MD5 authentication mechanism.  Engineering of other CRAM-based
mechanisms is simply beyond the scope of this working group.  I
suggest you pursue the specification of other mechanisms on an
individual basis.

I do note that this list is an acceptable forum for review of
SASL-related submissions produced by individuals (as long as
such review does not impede progress on WG deliverables).

Regards, Kurt (as co-chair of the SASL-WG)