Subject: Protocol Action: 'SASLprep: Stringprep profile for user names and passwords' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:58:47 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'SASLprep: Stringprep profile for user names and passwords '
   <draft-ietf-sasl-saslprep-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Simple Authentication and Security Layer 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Russ Housley and Steve Bellovin.

Technical Summary

  This document describes the preparation of Unicode strings
  representing user names and passwords for comparison.  The document
  defines the "SASLprep" profile of the "stringprep" algorithm to be
  used for both user names and passwords.  This profile is intended to
  be used by Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL) mechanisms
  (such as PLAIN, CRAM-MD5, and DIGEST-MD5) as well as other protocols
  exchanging user names or passwords.

Working Group Summary

  The SASL Working Group came to rough consensus on this document.

Protocol Quality

  This document was reviewed by Russ Housley for the IESG.