Subject: [SAVA] Limiting SAVI Solutions to Specific Network Entities

From: christian.vogt at nomadiclab.com (Christian Vogt)
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 15:49:55 +0200

Jun -

in your recent emails you indicate a preference for limiting the first
SAVI solution to one that is to be implemented on switches, and to
specify separate solutions for implementation on other network entities
after rechartering.  While I agree with you that SAVI should consider
rechartering and the specification of advanced solutions at some point,
I do not agree that the differentiating criterion between the first SAVI
solution and those advanced solutions should be the entity on which it
could be implemented.

A good protocol is flexible WRT the network entity on which it gets
implemented, and I would like to uphold this principle also for our
prospective SAVI solution.  A more appropriate criterion to distinguish
a first from possible future SAVI solutions would, IMO, be a different
complexity-benefit trade-off -- more benefits at higher costs.  And
[draft-bi-sava-solution-ipv6-edge-network-signature] and
[draft-wu-sava-solution-firsthop-eap] might be good starting points for
such work.

But for now, let's concentrate on the first charter. ;-)

- Christian