Subject: [SAVA] SAVI Charter Revision after Vancouver, Take 3

From: christian.vogt at nomadiclab.com (Christian Vogt)
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 13:15:06 +0200

Folks,

enclosed please find the 3rd take of the proposed SAVI charter.  Please
send your comments no later than Friday, January 18, so that we can nail
down the final charter proposal early next week.

Differences between take 2 and 3 of the charter are limited to a
revision of bullet 2, which now more clearly states that the validation
of addresses in packets sent/forwarded by routers is out of scope.

- Christian

-------------- next part --------------
An embedded and charset-unspecified text was scrubbed...
Name: savi-charter-2008-01-14.txt
Url: http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/pipermail/sava/attachments/20080114/a631e8b4/attachment.txt

---

From: pekkas at netcore.fi (Pekka Savola)
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:03:37 +0200 (EET)

> of addresses in packets sent/forwarded by routers is out of scope.

The date is already over, but it looks pretty good.

s/multipe/multiple/.

Looking at the minutes of the BOF (I wasn't in Vancouver), I believe 
Sam Hartman will at least think the following bullet points are not 
clear enough.

"- The solutions must support interfaces with multipe IP addresses
- The solutions must support hosts with multiple interfaces
- The solutions must interoperate with mobile hosts, which may change
   the point of network attachment for one of their interfaces"

Specifically, does "must support" and "must interoperate" require more 
than just 'administrator should turn off SAVI check on the affected 
ports'?  For example, are the mechanisms required to be robust enough 
that they 1) will work without administrator action even in these 
scenarios, and that 2) 'will work' does not imply 'turn off the SAVI 
check for that port' ?

I guess more clarity on this wording could go a long way in 
alleviating concerns about the mechanism being actively harmful if 
deployed (e.g., by restricting common and/or valid deployment 
scenarios, e.g., virtualization).

On the other hand, if we don't yet know if solutions could be made to 
work under these premises automatically, we're in a more difficult 
position..

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: christian.vogt at nomadiclab.com (Christian Vogt)
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:55:51 +0200

Hi Pekka,

thanks for your charter review!  I clarified that mobile and multi-
interfaced hosts are to be supported "by default", i.e., without special
administrator action.  This modification affects bullets 7-9.

Revised charter version attached.

- Christian

-------------- next part --------------
An embedded and charset-unspecified text was scrubbed...
Name: savi-charter-2008-01-28.txt
Url: http://mail.nrc.tsinghua.edu.cn/pipermail/sava/attachments/20080128/8d552a8c/attachment.txt