Subject: [Sdn] 2nd European Workshop on Software Defined Networks (EWSDN-2013)

From: Didier Colle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 16:45:04 +0200

2nd European Workshop on Software Defined Networks (EWSDN-2013)

http://ewsdn.eu

The second edition of the European Workshop on Software Defined Networks 
will be held on October 10-11, 2013 in Berlin, Germany

*SDN evolution and current trends*
Software Defined Networking is undoubtedly one of the chief trends in 
the ICT area. In the past year we have seen all big players in the 
networking arena starting to ride the SDN wave one way or another. The 
standardization work is actively ongoing in ONF with its 7 working 
groups, in the IETF where several working groups are somehow related to 
SDN (e.g. FORCES, NETMOD, NETCONF, ALTO, NVO3 and the recently formed 
I2RS), while the recent initiative of ETSI on Network Functions 
Virtualization (NFV) is also tightly related to SDN. On top of the 
several existing Open Source SDN controllers, tools and development 
environments, the recently launched Open Daylight project is backed up 
by several players and it is receiving a lot of attention.

In parallel to this activity which is now largely driven by industry, 
the academia is also actively pursuing the SDN topic, both following the 
mainstream and using the SDN concepts in many innovative areas of 
applications or with disruptive approaches.

Considering the hot SDN research areas, a lot of interest is now focused 
on forwarding abstractions, "Northbound" APIs towards applications, SDN 
high level languages and tools for improving the software robustness 
like compilers and debuggers. Inter-domain aspects and inter-controller 
orchestration policies draw the attention of researchers as well. The 
idea of abstraction layers toward switching equipment has been proposed 
for new "Southbound" interfaces in order to manage the coexistence of 
different solutions besides the canonical OpenFlow approach (e.g., 
I2RS). New switch architectures supporting SDN are considered a hot 
topic. The application of SDN in the domain of optical networks is 
paving the way toward a unified control plane framework to integrate the 
packet and the optical domain, promoting a better coordination with 
higher network layers and applications. In mobile networks, the 
introduction of SDN will enable to program base stations' wireless data 
plane and to enhance the functionalities of the Evolved Packet Core, 
thus giving Mobile Operators greater control over their equipment and an 
opportunity to introduce novel value-added services. WLANs and WPANs can 
also benefit by the introduction of SDN concepts by improving resource 
utilization and facilitating their programmability.

Considering the strategic side of the SDN adoption, if SDN will progress 
to offer Carriers' Class solutions, which will be the impact on the 
telecom ecosystem? Which innovative services and business models will 
emerge out of the technology improvements?

*European*
What makes an SDN workshop "European"? Traditional strengths of European 
research and development have been in optical transmission and wireless, 
especially cellular networks. The workshop emphasizes aspects of 
Software Defined Networks that come up when extending SDN 'beyond 
Ethernet'. In this regard, "European" does not mean that we restrict to 
a geographic scope, we welcome contribution and participation from all 
over the world.

*Motivation*
One goal of the workshop is to bring together industry and academia on 
the topics of SDN; in particular the workshop will feature an "industry 
forum", i.e. a session with presentations of key industrial players.

*Contributions to the workshop*
We are interested in both papers showing consolidated results and in 
position papers bringing up innovative ideas. We welcome contributions 
including, but not limited to, the following topics:
- Forwarding abstractions, APIs, object models
- Network Function Virtualization and SDN, Network Virtualization 
techniques based on SDN
- Optical extensions to OpenFlow, SDN
- Wireless integration, characterization of wireless interfaces, flows, 
handover support
- Evolved packet core, LTE support for OpenFlow
- New controller architectures, Application Programmer's Interfaces, SDN 
"north-bound" interfaces
- Interoperation of cloud architectures and SDN
- New switch architectures supporting SDN
- New networking paradigms like Content or Information Centric Networks 
(CCN/ICN) and their relation with SDN
- Carrier-grade SDN architectures and equipment
- Practical experiments on OpenFlow / SDN based testbeds
- Identification of use cases for SDN, SDN related business models, 
strategic role of SDN in network evolution
- SDN frameworks and tools, SDN based equipment: controllers, switches, 
integrated development environment, testing and debugging environment

*Workshop Proceedings*
We plan to have the EWSDN Workshop proceedings published in IEEE Xplore, 
as we did for EWSDN 2012.

*Important dates*
Deadline for Call for Papers (up to 6 pages, double column 10pt font): 
June 10th, 2013
Please register the paper by June 3rd
Acceptance notification: July 29th, 2013
Camera ready: August 31st, 2013

*Paper submission*
EWSDN submission will be managed using the EasyChair submission system:
https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ewsdn13

*Workshop registration and hotel rooms*
Both registration and hotel information is to appear on http://ewsdn.eu 
in July.

*Workshop Chair*
Hagen Woesner, EICT, Berlin, Germany

*Technical Program Committee Co-Chairs*
Saverio Niccolini, NEC, Heidelberg, Germany
Stefano Salsano, Univ. Tor Vergata, Roma, Italy
Elio Salvadori, CREATE-NET, Trento, Italy

*Technical Program Committee*

Rui Aguiar, Universidade de Aveiro, Portugal
Achim Autenrieth, ADVA AG Optical Networking, Germany
Siamak Azodolmolky, GWDG, Germany
Leonardo Bergesio, i2CAT Foundation, Spain
Dean Bogdanovic, Juniper Networks, USA
Marco Canini, TU Berlin / T-Labs, Germany
Ramon Casellas, CTTC, Spain
Nicola Ciulli, Nextworks, Italy
Richard Clegg, University College London, UK
Didier Colle, Ghent University -- iMinds, Belgium
Daniel Corujo, Instituto de Telecomunicações, Portugal
Francesco De Pellegrini, CREATE-NET, Italy
Alisa Devlic, Ericsson Research, Sweden
Peter Feil, Deutsche Telekom AG, Germany
Panagiotis Georgopoulos, Lancaster University, UK
Stefano Giordano, University of Pisa, Italy
Ken Gray, Juniper Networks, USA
Eduardo Jacob, University of the Basque Country, Spain
Wolfgang John, Ericsson Research, Sweden
Pawel Kaczmarek, ADVA, Poland
Holger Karl, University Paderborn, Germany
Eiji Kawai, NICT, Japan
Eric Keller, University of Colorado, USA
Wolfgang Kellerer, Technische Universität München, Germany
Teemu Koponen, Nicira, USA
Marc Körner, TU Berlin, Germany
Alessandro Leonardi, AGT Group /R&D GmbH, Germany
Li Erran Li, Bell Labs, Alcatel-Lucent, USA
Diego Lopez, Telefonica I+D, Spain
Dante Malagrino, Embrane, USA
Antonio Manzalini, Telecom Italia Lab, Italy
Jon Matias, University of the Basque Country, Spain
Ruben Merz, Swisscom, Group Strategy & Innovation, Switzerland
Giacomo Morabito, DIIT - University of Catania, Italy
Reza Nejabati, University of Essex, UK
Luca Prete, Consortium GARR, Italy
Nicholas Race, Lancaster University, UK
Costin Raiciu, Universitatea Politehnica Bucuresti, Romania
Robert Raszuk, NTT, USA
Roberto Riggio, CREATE-NET, Italy
Charalampos Rotsos, University of Cambridge, UK
Pontus Sköldström, Acreo AB, Sweden
Georgios Smaragdakis, Deutsche Telekom Lab / TUB, Germany
Marc Sune, BISDN, Germany
Vincenzo Suraci, Università degli Studi eCampus, Italy
Attila Takacs, Ericsson Research, Hungary
Steve Uhlig, QMUL, UK
Luca Veltri, University of Parma, Italy
Cedric Westphal, Huawei, USA
Hagen Woesner, EICT, Berlin, Germany
Minan Yu, USC, USA

-- 
Prof Didier Colle
iMinds - Ghent University
Department of Information Technology (INTEC)
Gaston Crommenlaan 8 bus 201, B-9050 Gent (Ledeberg)
Email: [email-masked]
Skype: didiercolle
Tel. +32 9 331 4970 / Fax. +32 9 331 4899
Mobile: +32 473 295655
WWW: www.ibcn.intec.UGent.be