Subject: [Sdn] Call for Book Chapter Proposal for (Big-Data and Software Define Networks)

From: "Javid Taheri" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2016 16:31:39 +0200

Call for Book Chapters

Book Title

Big-Data and Software Defined Networks

Book Editors

Associate Professor Javid Taheri, Karlstad University, Sweden

Book Series and Publisher

The book is one of the 12 to be written/edited for "IET Book Series on Big
Data" (Editor in Chief Prof. Albert Y. Zomaya).

Theme

The increase of processing power is undoubtedly among the most prominent
technological achievements of the 21st century. Being able to process data
on higher rates has opened many doors for both the scientific and industrial
communities to explore new areas. Big-Data and SDN (Software Defined
Networks) are among the methods and technologies that have directly
contributed to such extraordinary achievements.

Big-Data and SDN started for different reasons, and consequently advanced
science and industry from different angles. Their collision is however
imminent since both face ever growing Cloud Data Centres (CDCs). Big-Data
Analytics has entered CDCs to harvest their massive computing powers and
deduct information that was never reachable by conventional methods. SDN
entered this field to help CDCs run their services more efficiently.

This book aims to investigate areas where Big-Data and SDN could help each
other in delivering more efficient services. SDN can help Big-Data
applications to overcome one of their major challenges: message passing
among cooperative nodes. Through proper bandwidth allocation and
prioritization, critical surges of Big-Data flows can be better handled to
effectively reduce their impacts on CDCs. Big-Data could also help SDN
controller to better analyse its collected network information and make more
efficient decisions about the allocation of resources to different network
flows.

This book is sectioned into three parts:

*	The first part (Introduction) serves as an introductory section,
providing crucial information about Big-Data and SDN as well as their
current state-of-the-art advancements and architectures. It also highlights
general open issues in these vibrant fields.
*	The second part (How SDN Helps Big-Data) is focused on several ways
that SDN helps Big-Data applications run more efficiently. This section is
further split into several chapters, each focusing on how SDN helps a
specific "V" in the Big-Data terminology.
*	The third section (How Big-Data Helps SDN) is focused on several
Big-Data Analytics that help SDN make better resource allocation decisions.
Chapters in this section reveal current approaches in which large amount of
collected network data are process to run smoother networks in large CDCs.

Chapters

 Part I (Introduction), 

*	Chapter 1. Introduction to SDN
*	Chapter 2. SDN Components and OpenFlow
*	Chapter 3. SDN for Cloud Data Centres (allocated to Dimitrios P.
Pezaros et al. from University of Glasgow, UK)
*	Chapter 4. Introduction to Big-Data (allocated to Amir H. Payberah
et al. from Swedish ICT (SICS), Sweden)
*	Chapter 5. Big-Data Processing and Apache Spark and/or Hadoop
*	Chapter 6. Big-Data in Cloud Data Centres

Part II (How SDN Helps Big-Data) 

*	Chapter 7. SDN helps Volume in Big-Data
*	Chapter 8. SDN helps Velocity in Big-Data
*	Chapter 9. SDN helps Value in Big-Data
*	Chapter 10. SDN helps other Vs in Big-Data

Part III (How Big-Data Helps SDN) 

*	Chapter 11. Big-Data helps SDN to optimize routing tables
*	Chapter 12. Big-Data helps SDN to become fault tolerant
*	Chapter 13. Big-Data helps SDN to detect intrusions and secure data
flows
*	Chapter 14. Big-Data helps SDN to improve application specific
quality of service
*	Chapter 15. Big-Data helps SDN to detect traffic patterns
*	Chapter 16. Big-Data helps SDN to verify integrity of control/data
planes
*	Chapter 17. Big-Data help SDN to scale
*	Chapter 18. Big-Data helps SDN to load balance links

Conclusion/Wrap up from the Book Editor (Javid Taheri)

Other Recommended Topics

Authors can also propose new chapters should they could connect it to both
Big-Data Analytics and SDN.

Review process

Authors will submit 1-2 page chapter proposal by sending email to the main
editor (Javid Taheri <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >).
The editors will review the chapter proposal and invite selected authors to
submit a full version of their proposed book chapter.

The book is expected to have

*	a total number of 400-450 printed pages (based on approximately 550
words per page with a 20% allowance for figures and tables), and
*	at least 18 invited chapters (20-25 pages each).

Important Dates

Action

Date

Status

Invite authors to contribute

30-Jun-2016

In Progress

Finalize the list of authors and allocate chapters

30-Jul-2016

Send out chapter templates

31-Aug-2016

Collect chapters

28-Feb-2017

Feedback Authors

31-Mar-2017

Finalize all chapters

30-Apr-2017

Send chapters to IET

31-May-2017

Publish by IET

1-Sep-2017

Submission and Format

To submit your proposal, send an email to the main editor (Javid Taheri) and
submit you chapter proposal (maximum two-pages, A4, normal spacing, 12pt)
containing

*	title of your chapter (selected from the list or newly proposed),
*	a short description about the content you are going to write about,
*	table of content for you chapter,
*	a short bio from yourself (150 words), and
*	your full affiliation.

You can use this template
<https://sites.google.com/site/bigdatasdn/Chapter-Proposal-Template.docx?att
redirects=0&d=1> .

Contact

For further questions please contact the main editor Javid Taheri
<[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >.