Subject: [seamoby] An MM update from IETF 50

From: Patrice Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 14:31:55 -0800

All,

This week the ADs and I sat down with the Mobile IP chairs, Routing AD and IRTF
routing chair, and talked about the current problem statement. The current
document currently describes:

	1. There are some seamoby requirements that are not met with the
	   Mobile IP WG.
	2. There is the possibility of a new local mobility protocol, and
	3. A method to discover the capabilities of APs that a mobile can be
	   handed off to, so handoffs are done in a more intelligent way.

So, for all three above points, the following was decided, and discussed at
the meeting:

	1. The MM DT will write a requirements draft for Mobile IP to understand
	   the seamoby requirements. This will be used by the MIP WG to
	   know how Mobile IP needs to be changed.
	2. The IRTF has agreed to take the new local mobility protocol, and
	   as with many other IRTF efforts, the work will move back into the
	   IETF once it is ready.
	3. The MM DT will begin to write the requirements for a new protocol
	   that allows for AP discovery to be done (again, I really don't know
	   what the right name of this work is, but it is similar to what
	   Phil Neumiller calls CNP).

If anyone has issues with the above decisions, please contact me.

Thanks,

PatC

---

From: Michael Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 15:00:42 -0800 (PST)

Huh. I hear that winters in Siberia aren't as bad
as everybody makes them out to be.

In any case, so long as our requirements for
paging and context transfer take into account and
potentially exploit that the fact that you may end
up with same routable address, I guess I'm mostly
happy for the time being.

	  Mike