Subject: [seamoby] RE: [rohc] RE: Restarting Compressor on Mobile IPv6 Handover

From: "Dr. Carsten Bormann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 23:35:40 +0200

> Well, I think header compression context relocation is doable in
> seamoby. We
> need some help from rohc in defining what a context is, say e.g.,
> IPv6/UDP/RTP/voice-G.723.1.

Rajeev,

while this is only a rough overview of the information set, you might want
to start with section 6.5 of the ROHC RTP document.  I tend to believe that
for most applications, just transferring the static chain will be fine,
though; this is resilient to race conditions and can simply use the data
format already defined in section 5.7.7.

One thing that needs to be defined as well is the signaling between the old
compressor and the new decompressor (and v.v.) so they know context transfer
is in use and contexts have been successfully transferred.  This may be
implicit in the handover or explicitly signalled *).  This signalling may
also be a good place to fix the apparent deficiency in ROHC that there is no
good way to update an address in the outermost IP header (needed for Mobile
IPv6).

*) ROHCers: maybe we need to reserve some bit combinations for ROHC-over-X
signalling...

Gruesse, Carsten

---

From: Rajeev Koodli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 17:20:54 -0800

Hello Carsten,

> format already defined in section 5.7.7.

Ok. I agree this is a good start.

Regards,

-Rajeev