Subject: [seamoby] Paging or Not

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 08:40:52 -0800 (PST)

Pat/Allison/All,

Behcet, the design team members, and I have committed ourselves to working
fairly intensively on the paging problem over the next months until
IETF 51. Recently, there has been some email about whether or not
paging should even be considered by IETF. I had thought that we
were beyond this point. This was in response to Pat's email of
a few days ago.

The conclusion of the design team, which I presented at IETF 50, was
that there is a problem to be solved. It is not unsolvable by
using mobile IP, but the solution is difficult.

Frankly, I am not about to spend the next 4 months waging an email battle
with bomb throwers who want to derail progress. If we
don't have agreement on doing requirements, I would like to suggest
we can this activity right now. I've got plenty of other things I could
be spending time on, and I'm sure the other paging design team
members feel the same.

Are we going forward with requirements on paging or not?

		jak

---

From: Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 20:54:56 -0500

Jim,

As AD, I approved going ahead with starting on requirements work
for paging already, based on the results when Pat last called
the problem statement.

In general, my observation has agreed with Pat's that there is 
IETF-style (that is, tumultuous, but sound) consensus to go ahead.

There is a remaining step, which is the IESG review of the problem
statement, which will secure the paging task in the Seamoby charter,
and may return some specific feedback.

The IESG will review the problem statement during our telechat this
coming week, and I'll make sure to report the results to the list.

Regards,

Allison