Subject: Re: [seamoby] An MM update from IETF 50

From: Patrice Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 06:50:14 -0800

>
>Huh. I hear that winters in Siberia aren't as bad
>as everybody makes them out to be.

Just for the record, SMIng, multicast security and other WGs have had a 
great IRTF->IETF transition, so you paint this to be worse than it really is.

PatC

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 11:39:52 -0600

Hello,

1). I think the mobile IP chairs, Pat, and the ADs have done an
    excellent job revising the charter.  It is really moving in
    the right direction.

2). Tuesday, Pat and I sat down for a bit and hashed out some
    mutual misunderstandings.  I would call it a moment of
    mutual "enlightenment".  More on "enlightenment" below.

3). CNP is not something I named/invented.  It has existed since
    1982.  I will post a new draft after May 1 that will explain
    in detail how it works in theory and how it can be gainfully
    applied to MANET, and MIP and how my code works.

    So far I have it running with AODV, and DSR (both MANET
    routing algorithms), and MIPv4.  The application is completely
    orthogonal i.e. it is done as a glue-on to handover req/rep
    messages.  The enlightened part is that I make some
    different assumptions (I actually assume CDMA-like air interfaces
    like those that will actually be applied in 3G!).  I assume
    that there are multiple pilots.  I assume that there can be
    multiple heterogeneous link layers etc.

4). I would like to propose that we introduce a concept of
    "enlightened handover" Into SeaMoby before we introduce it into
    the MIP group.  I would also suggest we call it enlightedned hand
    over (EHO).  I don't think the abbreviation is used yet.

    This was very much what OBAST did when it borrowed the concepts
    of CDMA active sets and put it over IP in 1998.  This was
    demonstrated with OBAST and SCTP/rspool (then called Quantix)
    running together by the Motorola Aspira Exploratory Testbed
    (core team was Randy Stewart, Xiaobing Xie, Peter Lei,
    & Phil Neumiller) at Geneva Telecom 99 with seven different air
    interface technologies happily talking to each other.  This
    was what got Vern Paxson interested in the first place in OBAST
    at the OBAST pre-BOF at the Australia IETF.

5). I have sent many flames and weird posting to the list.
    They must have seemed strange to folks that are new to the
    list and perhaps to even old timers that have really understood
    me due to my inability to communicate.  Hopefully we are all
    more enlightened now?  Take it light!

Thanks for reading this incredibly long email,

Phil Neumiller