Subject: [seamoby] Link Layer Technologies

From: "Jiwoong Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 18:23:29 +0900

All,

Many hot parts of Mobile IP discussions seem to move to here. I sometimes
feel embarrassed by the barrage of emails to this WG. :>

By the way, I feel a bit uncomfortable with the fact that this Transport
Area WG is happy to deal with network layer problems and link layer
technologies in detail. Please don't say that "It's stated in the WG
charter. So, no worries." The reason I feel so is, I guess,
due to that I'm not familar with those too many layer technologies at the
same time. Maybe there is another reason in my mind. (I'll think about it.)

I've read through previous threads on paging problem statement. Many of the
arguments were beginning with "I'm not an expert on cellular stuff, but as
far as I know..."

Yes, right. Many of IETF engineers (including me) are not familar with
cellular stuff (or other link layer technologies). That is one reason why
the argument sounds too abstract sometimes, too specific othertimes. No
matter what link layer technologies SeaMoby folks are assuming, I think we
need to specifically address those technologies. Yes. that does not belong
to IETF boundary. Without this, the discussion and argument will be floating
for so long time.

Again, the charter says something so vague. We have IS-95A,B/cdma2000-1x,
3x, Release 99, Release 2000, blah, blah, blah. Wow. so many (sometimes in
one name!).
We may need the base link layer technologies (probably including the common
features of the futuer ones.)

Huge bunch of comments.

Best regards,
Jiwoong